Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 13, 2012   #1
TigersAU777
Tomatovillian™

Default Fertilizing schedule for container tomatoes?

I have been fertilizing my tomatoes about every 2 weeks. I have 4 plants in the ground and 8 in containers. Recently the plants in the ground (which get less sunlight) have surpassed my container tomatoes in height. I think it may possibly be that I am washing away nutrients from my container tomatoes as I am having to water them every day due to the heat down here. What is the max that I can fertilize them with Miracle Gro for tomatoes? I have been told that for containers you can do as much as every 3 waterings. Just checking with you experts before I try boosting the nutrients my plants receive. Any info is appreciated!
TigersAU777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2012   #2
rsg2001
Tomatovillian™

What kind of containers are you using? Are they self-watering or earth box types? Or planters that you have to continually water? If the latter, I'm suspecting the biggest issue you have is simply keeping them sufficiently watered, rather than fertilizer. I use a mix of regular planters and self=watering/earth box types; admittedly I use few regular planters anymore because of the drying out - when the weather reaches the hottest days here, I have to water those twice a day in order to keep up. You might consider providing some shade cloth for them to moderate if that's the problem.

Most of what I use now are self-watering containers, and I use a slow release fertilizer with them, either Tomato Tone or the one that Gardener's Supply provides, and only fertilize a couple of additional times during the season after the initial planting. The self-watering containers have water reservoirs that you have to keep replenishing. In the hot hot weather I have to replenish the water supply every couple of days once the plants are well developed and fruiting.

Hope this helps, and good luck getting through the summer!
rsg2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2012   #3
TigersAU777
Tomatovillian™

Actually I misspoke in the original post, I am watering twice a day now so as not to allow for drying out due to the heat. My containers are simply 5 gallon buckets with holes drilled in the bottom. I am using a florida weave support system and rarely prune anymore, if ever. Again I am just wondering if boosting my fertilizing to every 3 or 4 days is too much. I am considering doing it every week as a starter so that I am putting back some of the nutrients that I am washing out.
Old May 13, 2012   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

If you are using MG liquid you very well could be washing it out.

Don't ever let the containers dry out and only let it get dry down about in inch.
Only water enough to get the soil wet and not so much as to let it wash out.

You should also paint them white if the are dark or black this will help control the heat in the soil.
A big vigorous tomato can go through a lot of fertilizer in a short time in a container.
If the Ph is too high it wont be able to take up the fertilizer and it will appear as though it is lacking in it.

Iron deficiency can also cause this to happen (yellowish leaves.)
The problem is if any of the above 2 are corrected and you have too much fertilizer it will burn the plants.
Check the PH first.

If all is well I would cut the ratio 1/3rd and fertilize once a week.
I just went through this and things seem to be looking up.
My Ph was too high so I sprayed the soil with a dilute solution of vinegar and treated it with Ironite granules.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2012   #5
TigersAU777
Tomatovillian™

Any recommendations for a ph test kit? Also where I can get it? Searching lowes.com returns products that have terrible reviews. Would like to pick it up locally instead of ordering online.
Old May 13, 2012   #6
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

My new hibiscus were looking a little anemic. Fish emulsion and maxi-crop kelp weekly has greened them up, only took a few days.
My eggplants and peppers in containers get the same, plus some fish meal in the pots at planting. They're looking really good.
I'd feel a lot safer using frequent, small feedings of something organic. Less likely to cause harm.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2012   #7
TigersAU777
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracydr View Post
My new hibiscus were looking a little anemic. Fish emulsion and maxi-crop kelp weekly has greened them up, only took a few days.
My eggplants and peppers in containers get the same, plus some fish meal in the pots at planting. They're looking really good.
I'd feel a lot safer using frequent, small feedings of something organic. Less likely to cause harm.
I know organic is the way to go, and I am partially doing it. I use shrimp meal, crab meal, and organic sulfate of potash in addition to the miracle gro. Also my plants really do all look great, its just that the ones in the ground are taller than my container ones and I am wondering why. My container tomatoes have just as many fruits on them as my ground ones, but are about a foot to 18 inches shorter. My little inexperienced mind just wants everything it can get and wonders how many fruits my container plants would have if they were as tall as my ground ones!!
Old May 14, 2012   #8
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

Every 3-4 days is fine in my experience. Even 1/4 strength everyday is fine if you so desire. But I would always recommend watering enough to have run off every time you water fertilizer or not. It helps flush out salt build up. If you ever get tired of mixing soluble ferts with water, time release is a great way to fertilize over a extended time. I use it exclusively now.

Damon
sprtsguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2012   #9
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigersAU777 View Post
Any recommendations for a ph test kit? Also where I can get it? Searching lowes.com returns products that have terrible reviews. Would like to pick it up locally instead of ordering online.
You can or should be able to get PH paper from a drugstore.
My wife picked me up a product called Rapitest.

It seemed to work ok for me.

I have found that many bad product reviews are from people that dont know how to use the product.

Many times they dont follow instructions.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2012   #10
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

I would agree with Worth about the negative product reviews but note that a dearth of positive reviews speaks volumes too. If you can find some plain old pH/litmus paper as Worth suggests I think you will be satisfied with that. Plenty of people will say they have trouble judging the color match exactly but at least the color change is visible and it doesn't matter if you off a bit.

George

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure."
Thomas Jefferson, 1787
RebelRidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2012   #11
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Damon - Like Omsocote, and how much do you use at plant out. I assume you are talking about reg containers and not SWC. Thanks, Linda
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2012   #12
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

Linda- Osmocote Plus 5-6 month is what I use. I use it at a rate of 1 tbsp per gallon of mix.

Damon
sprtsguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2012   #13
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Damon, very helpful I will give it a try. LInda
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote