Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 12, 2012   #16
rsg2001
Tomatovillian™

I'll usually do my first plantings in self-watering containers rather than in the ground... have had better experience that way because at least I can wheel them to a somewhat more protected area. I usually don't plant in the ground though before Memorial Day weekend. It's been so mild; right now 10 pm Saturday evening and I'm seeing the temp is 71 degrees, although we have been going down to 45-48 at night. That is OK enough for me to have planted part of my 3-foot-by-3- foot self-watering 'raised bed'. They are planted with my seedlings from the Dwarf Project.

We used to be zone 6, but with the redrawing of the frost zone maps we are now zone 7B; my understanding is that means that the night time temps have been averaging warmer than they used to. I've written before on Tville that when I first started growing tomatoes in 1993, I used to try to get an early jump, starting my plant-out in mid April and using floating row covers and cloches to protect the seedlings. But even though I succeeded in keeping the seedlings alive they didn't do much until mid to late May. I had better results planting later.

Last edited by rsg2001; May 12, 2012 at 10:24 PM. Reason: error
rsg2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2012   #17
Got Worms?
Tomatovillian™

I haven't had much time lately because of the renovation I'm having done on my house. So, when I had some time today I stuck in half of my transplants. I have a small garden and I have enough to plant out twice. Hence the gamble. I shouldn't be planting out 'till the end of May, but the extra couple of weeks can mean a lot at the end of the season.

It all went real quick with my new gardening toy tool, shown below. It's a 5" diameter auger, usually used for planting seedling trees. All my plants are in 4 1/4" cut down 2 liter soda/pop bottles, so it's perfect.

Hopefully, the weather will hold, and I won't have to resort to cover ups.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1584.jpg (362.3 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1583.jpg (375.4 KB, 18 views)
Got Worms? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2012   #18
kath
Tomatovillian™

I planted the rest of my tomatoes today- 169. It was super sunny and quite warm, so I waited until the hazy cloudiness began around 3:30 and the sw part of the garden starts to get shaded. Finished at about 8:30 but I could still see clearly without a headlamp! I'm glad I got them in because I don't plant on Sunday and the forecast for rain has increased to as much 70 and 80% for Sunday night, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Our lows are supposed to be in the 50's for the long range, so we're hoping for no new records to be broken in that department! I'm exhaused but very happy.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2012   #19
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I need one of those little augers. For planting flowers and little trees, looks like it works great!
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2012   #20
tam91
Tomatovillian™

I think broccoli will be ok. It could have gone in earlier, but I didn't get there. I certainly wouldn't expect it to be done by now, last year, I was picking it in the summer I think.

Our extension calls the plant out date for tomatoes as May 17. I've generally planted out around mother's day, and never had a problem. Thankfully, the forecast does look good.

More today!
Old May 13, 2012   #21
Got Worms?
Tomatovillian™

Tracydr, this is where I got mine:

http://www.amazon.com/Power-Planter%.../dp/B004D5XWOY

Pricey, but heavy duty; it has a double flute. There are single flute versions that are cheaper...also on Amazon in the $20-$30 range.

It works well for me because my topsoil is deep, and heavily conditioned (your mileage may vary). Also, you need a 1/2" chuck drill with a good bit of chutzpa. If you get one of these, be careful; don't let it tear your arm off.

Getting back to ideal conditions for planting out: for tomatoes I like those overcast evenings when the daytime temps are in the 70s and the nights are in the 50s. Slightly oversizes plants with one week of hardening off under their belts, trimmed all the way down to just a little sprig at the top and the root ball teased out, then planted deeply and watered in with rainwater. For peppers, I like the temp a little warmer.
Charlie
Got Worms? is offline   Reply With Quote