Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 5, 2012   #1
desertlzbn
Tomatovillian™

Default Dry farming, anyone doing this?

I have been reading on this but an not to sure about actuallynot watering my tomatoes
desertlzbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012   #2
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

My folks did it all the time. Tough love!

They didn't always enjoy it though.

George

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure."
Thomas Jefferson, 1787
RebelRidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012   #3
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

It works if you want peppers that are hotter than molten lava. Otherwise, I see more drawbacks than benefits.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I know many in CA do dry farming, but here where I live water comes out of the sky on a somewhat regular basis, so no way could I or anyone else in areas where rain is prevalent do dry farming.
Old May 5, 2012   #5
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

I wouldn't think Tucson would get enough fog, dew or rain to pull it off but if you do manage to get a tomato plant to produce a fruit in Tucson with no extra water by your hand or design...

We want to see pictures! (and sworn witness statements)

George

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure."
Thomas Jefferson, 1787
RebelRidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012   #6
Marymcp
Tomatovillian™

Not to derail the thread but I'm interested in the comment about withholding water to increase the heat of pepper plants. Can you expand on that a bit? I like my jalepeno's and habenero's hot and sometimes they are not.
Marymcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012   #7
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marymcp View Post
Not to derail the thread but I'm interested in the comment about withholding water to increase the heat of pepper plants. Can you expand on that a bit? I like my jalepeno's and habenero's hot and sometimes they are not.
I can only speak from limited experience. I grew some habaneros in a pot and they sometimes got neglected on water as I was taking care of my father at the time. I put 2 of those habaneros in large pot of chili and it was INEDIBLE. Even with a huge dollop of sour cream, it was like trying to eat fire.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012   #8
eltex

A lot of people say that peppers will get hotter when stressed, sorta like a defense mechanism. Hard to prove, but I've heard it multiple times.
Old May 5, 2012   #9
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
I know many in CA do dry farming, but here where I live water comes out of the sky on a somewhat regular basis, so no way could I or anyone else in areas where rain is prevalent do dry farming.
Yes the water problem I have is how to get rid of it sometimes. I've had a conversation with a guy that comes here to help the man I rent part of the house from. He's gotten the tractor stuck a couple of times. I said to him that if you see this plant of this one growing Don't drive there!
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012   #10
Marymcp
Tomatovillian™

Habenero's *are* very hot to begin with....I'll try ignoring one or two of my plants and see what happens. Thanks.

I seriously could not 'dry farm' here in Phoenix. I think rebel is right about the fog etc. That way it could work but I don't believe I have *ever* seen fog in Phoenix.
Old May 5, 2012   #11
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

I only water my tomatoes when I plant them out. After that, it's survival of the fittest.
Old May 5, 2012   #12
Marymcp
Tomatovillian™

Here in Phoenix you would be best not to try tomatoes at all in that case. :-))))
Old May 5, 2012   #13
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbee View Post
I only water my tomatoes when I plant them out. After that, it's survival of the fittest.
Seriously? Come on...
Crandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012   #14
igarden
Tomatovillian™

when we first moved hre in '89, we had no irrigation system setup and did a lot of growing with very little water. we found the Jalapenos, especially, got really hot with dry land farming. tomatoes seemed sweeter, too.
Old May 5, 2012   #15
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Here where I live some years I don't water till june and some years I have to water from the start.

For some reason I thought dry farming was where you coverd the ground with flat stones and watered under them.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote