Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old July 26, 2012   #1
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

Default What kind of worm burrows into tomatoes?

I can't get pics now with the storm coming, but I found several tomatoes with holes in them, and one has a brown worm living in it. I've never had this before. They seem to prefer the Italian tomato varieties for some reason, which is odd. They haven't touched the others.

What kind of worm lives in tomatoes?
Old July 26, 2012   #2
kurt
Tomatovillian™

I have "caught"some of the brown hornworms(or worm?) inside tomatos,can't say they stay there because next to them were maters with holes in them and no worms.I have never found them inside ripe maters though.I think I caught them in the act and they still go to ground at daytime or hide under leaves until evening.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2012   #3
kath
Tomatovillian™

Did it have lighter stripes? Armyworms will burrow in and feed inside tomatoes. Gotta get 'em all when they're first hatched on the leaves.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2012   #4
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I have army worms this season, as well, and they're burrowing the tomatoes, peppers and eggplant. I need to go read my can of Dipel and see if that will help.
Old July 27, 2012   #5
kurt
Tomatovillian™

http://www.tomatodirt.com/tomato-fruitworms.html Thanks for starting this discussion.More worms than I knew are a pest.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2012   #6
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

eww these are gross. I had some time to go outside today and found about 7 or 8, couldn't find any more. Tossed about 7 tomatoes with holes in them. Sprayed the plants with Spinosad. It seems they go for the plants that have the most dense foliage, but they weren't picky about PL or RL tomatoes. I'm sure there have to be more someplace but I couldn't find them. Dark brown with a beige stripe, fits the description of armyworms and tomato fruitworms. I caught one bugger resting on top of a tomato, likely getting ready to dig his way in. eww.