Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old June 3, 2009   #1
Jimche
Tomatovillian™

Default Best cut flowers for market?

We've recently been given access to a parcel with 1500 feet of drip-irrigated, plastic covered raised beds and would like grow cut flowers there for sale to flower shops, supermarkets and restaurants. We have no experience with flowers on this scale, but want to take advantage of the space. We are in zone 6b. I would appreciate hearing any suggestions as to varieties that might be most marketable, easy to grow and suitable to the time of year and garden setup that we have. Should we grow from plugs obtained from a nursery supplier, or is there a possibility we could direct seed into the beds. Someone started to grow tomatoes here, but abandoned the plan, leaving the plastic-covered beds with holes poked every 24". If we could plant in these same holes, it would be most convenient. Any ideas would be much appreciated! Thank you. Jimche
Jimche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2009   #2
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

Out of curiosity, do florists buy from local sellers? I was thinking you might do better to take them to a Farmers' Market, but I honestly don't know anything about selling cut flowers.

As to what grows easily and makes a nice cut flower for the home, I would suggest a variety of annual sunflowers. They're striking in appearance, most have large blooms, and they hold well after being cut. You might consider something a little off beat, too, like Thai basil. It has an attractive, spikey bloom, is easy to grow, and not something most shops are going to carry. Zinnias are another flower that is easy, quick to grow, and there are some beautiful varieties.
Blueaussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2009   #3
aninocentangel
Tomatovillian™

Here's a link with some info. http://www.umass.edu/umext/floricult.../morecuts.html
They say sunflowers, zinnias, lilies, liatris, gladiolus and astilbes are popular cut flowers. They give harvest info and have links to things like flower storage coolers etc.
aninocentangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2009   #4
Jimche
Tomatovillian™

Thanks much, BlueAussie and Innocentangel. I don't really know if flower shops will buy from us, but will be investigating this. From the article link, it does seem that the local origin is of interest to buyers in general. BTW, that article is an excellent starting point...thanks for pointing me to it! Blue, I take it you are an Aussie owner...lucky you. We had a great red tri-color we named Tilley. Best Frisbee dog ever, big heart and smarter than most humans. We always felt privileged to be in her company (lol). We still have a picture of her, calmly floating on a boogie board in a swimming pool with her front paws crossed...complete poise and dignity, unperturbed by the splashing going on all about her. What a dog. About the only one that's come close was a Border Collie we took care of. Another herding dog. Anyway, getting off subject here. Thanks again!!
Jimche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2009   #5
aninocentangel
Tomatovillian™

Aussies and Borders are great dogs, I had a mix of the two for a year or so. Beautiful girl, smart as a whip, showed up at my front door one day when I was pregnant and stayed for a year or so. I ran out of energy when I got pregnant again so I gave her to a friend who is a marathon runner and lives on 5 acres. She can almost keep up with the dog now, and that's only because she's starting to slow down in her old age
aninocentangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2009   #6
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

I've noticed that some of the organic growers at the farmers' markets here are now selling flowers as well, at $6 to $10 a bunch for gorgeous bouquets of mixed flowers. So it might also be worth investigating whether the farmers that sell vegetables and berries to the flower shops, supermarkets, and restaurants are also supplying flowers.

It might be fun to think about something you could specialize in that no one else in the area is doing -- edible flower bouquets? herbal bouquets? blue flowers? graduation flowers? wildflowers?
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2010   #7
pinakbet
Tomatovillian™

i visited a farm here that grows gerberas as cutflowers. here's a pic from that farm..

pinakbet is offline   Reply With Quote