Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old July 13, 2013   #16
Mojave
Tomatovillian™

Nice!

When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe.
-John Muir

Believe those who seek the Truth: Doubt those who find it.
-André Gide
Mojave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2013   #17
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

Kath, I am glad you are doing this thread again. I referred back to last years thread several times. I love your pictures and evaluations.

I found a lot a cracking with Ted's Pink Currant, as with all the currant varieties I have grown. Those little seed bags have their place though, with their intense flavor in small packages and the sheer numbers of tomatoes they produce over a long season. This variety is from South Florida. My BIL in Miami says it is the only one left producing.

Thanks for deciding to take us on a tour of your garden again this year.
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2013   #18
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Any updates, Kath?

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2013   #19
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
Nice!
Thanks, Bill!
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2013   #20
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyruhl View Post
Kath, I am glad you are doing this thread again. I referred back to last years thread several times. I love your pictures and evaluations.

I found a lot a cracking with Ted's Pink Currant, as with all the currant varieties I have grown. Those little seed bags have their place though, with their intense flavor in small packages and the sheer numbers of tomatoes they produce over a long season. This variety is from South Florida. My BIL in Miami says it is the only one left producing.

Thanks for deciding to take us on a tour of your garden again this year.
You're welcome, Nancy- I'm glad you enjoy them.

I've since managed to get some TPC off the vine without cracking but as soon as the stem is removed the fruit splits. The skin seems thick and sometimes it sticks to the stem. The flavor has been too mild so far but maybe that will change.

kath
Old July 20, 2013   #21
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
Any updates, Kath?
Hi, Ella! I'll probably have another entry within a few days. We ate the first Starfire Isis and Jasper cherries without taking pictures first- oops. Black Cherry, Sweetie and Resi all have started ripening, too. There are quite a few slicers blushing now also, including Hays' Tomato, Gary'O Sena, Amazon Chocolate (PL), Indian Stripe Potato Leaf and Fish Lake Oxheart.

Hope all is well in your garden-

kath
Old July 20, 2013   #22
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kath View Post
Hi, Ella! I'll probably have another entry within a few days. We ate the first Starfire Isis and Jasper cherries without taking pictures first- oops. Black Cherry, Sweetie and Resi all have started ripening, too. There are quite a few slicers blushing now also, including Hays' Tomato, Gary'O Sena, Amazon Chocolate (PL), Indian Stripe Potato Leaf and Fish Lake Oxheart.

Hope all is well in your garden-

kath
Looking forward your new pictures and comments. I did not know there were PL version of Indian stripe. I have RL one and it is first time for me. I hear good things about Fish Lake. Hope it is productive and tasty for you.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2013   #23
z_willus_d
Tomatovillian™

Hi Kath, I hope you choose to post pics and updates on the returns from last year as well. I almost used your post last-year as an encyclopedia. Sure, it's no match for Tatiana's, but it made a fine supplement.

Thanks for not doing your housework.
-naysen
z_willus_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2013   #24
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
Looking forward your new pictures and comments. I did not know there were PL version of Indian stripe. I have RL one and it is first time for me. I hear good things about Fish Lake. Hope it is productive and tasty for you.
Ella, the Indian Stripe Potato Leaf seeds were from Carolyn's 2013 seed offer. I'm anxious to find out how this one tastes because it's kind of an amazing plant, so far. I don't grow Indian Stripe any more but I grow plants for my neighbor every year because she loves it.

The Fish Lake Oxheart that I grew before (and loved) was the wrong color- pink. This year I received seeds from a kind Tomatovillian for the proper red version, which is supposed to taste the same.

kath
Old July 20, 2013   #25
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by z_willus_d View Post
Hi Kath, I hope you choose to post pics and updates on the returns from last year as well. I almost used your post last-year as an encyclopedia. Sure, it's no match for Tatiana's, but it made a fine supplement.

Thanks for not doing your housework.
-naysen
Hi, Naysen- I wasn't planning on including repeats from last year because I didn't want the task to get overwhelming and thought it would be redundant anyway. My daughter and grandsons will be visiting for the first 10 days in August so it's about to get extra busy around here, especially so since I've been ignoring the housework. We'll see...

Yikes- thanks for the compliment, but it makes me very nervous to hear you use the word "encyclopedia" when referring to my thread. I'm not an expert and certainly have made errors in past posts and am sure to make more- and this year I won't be able to correct them indefinitely, so VIEWERS BEWARE! Please let me know asap if something doesn't look or sound right so I won't be misleading anyone. Tatiana's Tomato Base is a wonderful place to go to for reliable information. I'm just sharing some pictures and my take on what comes out of my tomato patch because when I was starting out I found it really helpful in creating my next grow list if I could see pictures of real fruit, whole & cut.

kath

Last edited by kath; July 20, 2013 at 01:11 PM.
Old July 20, 2013   #26
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Fantastic to see this again, kath! It is a definite T'Ville highlight and source of inspiration!

Steve
Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2013   #27
z_willus_d
Tomatovillian™

Hi Kath, no pressures. There's still months left in the season. I think it's useful to follow a variety at a site over a series of years, since so many factors go into the output and result. I'm sure you're finding some of your previous experiences with some of the repeats from last season aren't matching up with this year's results. I think the season has been a bit different weather-wise for me, 2012 vs. 2013.

Well enjoy your family, and the harvests.
Thanks,
Naysen
z_willus_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2013   #28
raindrops27
Tomatovillian™

I am in I love your picture threads I've chosen many varieties to grow with the information I gain from you Kath! Thanks for starting a new one.

Take all the time you need, and do not worry about any errors we all make them, we all are human!

Melissa
raindrops27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2013   #29
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

I grew Indian Stripe Potato Leaf from Carolyns seed offer, also. It was an amazing plant for me also, and I took pictures of the stem which was about the size of 3 pencils banded together. I keep saying was because I pulled it yesterday. That whole enormous plant just wilted before my eyes and the stems became hollow. This has not affected any other tomatoes in my garden, including it's "earth box" partner. I have never had another plant do that, so I am confused. I saved seed, but don't now if I should have.

The bowl of tomatoes was pick from the plant when I pulled it. There were ripe ones earlier, also. That is an excellent harvest, considering it is mid July in Michigan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Indian stripe PL stem.jpg (399.8 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg Indian Stripe Potato Leaf.jpg (291.7 KB, 130 views)
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2013   #30
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindrops27 View Post
I am in I love your picture threads I've chosen many varieties to grow with the information I gain from you Kath! Thanks for starting a new one.

Take all the time you need, and do not worry about any errors we all make them, we all are human!

Melissa
You're so sweet, Melissa- I hope they help you find some varieties that work in your garden and for your tastebuds!

Just want to reiterate that I'm just a beginner in exploring this big world of open-pollinated tomatoes so my threads shouldn't be used as a "resource". You're very generous in your acceptance of my errors...I will do my best not to post pics of any "nots" without clearly stating that's what they are and making corrections to text and/or photos as best I can should mistakes occur.

kath