Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old March 9, 2018   #1
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Default Flower Seed Starting Time

We picked out 4 different flower seed packs today. Our last average freeze is March 12th. Frost can happen up to the first week in May here. The seeds we bought are able to be started indoors 6-8 weeks before last frost, so the timetable is fitting.

Butterfly Flower (Asclepias Tuberosa) A perennial that we have been wanting to try to grow. There are a lot of butterflies here already. I think this plant will look good growing with lantanas.

Three varieties of Marigolds:

Ferry~Morse - Petite, Mixed colors. We haven't grown this variety but the picture on the package looks like Dwarf French Marigolds to me.

The other two are from Burpee - Burpee's Best Mix - The description says, "An early flowering French mixture with fully double 2.5" blooms of orange and red."

Jaguar - is pictured
Attached Images
File Type: png jaguar.png (120.1 KB, 96 views)
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2018   #2
jillian
Tomatovillian™

I started my flower seeds 5 days ago and most are up already! 3 varieties of zinnia and 3 of marigold. One of my marigolds looks just like your pic but I'm not certain the name of it. It's probably my favorite of all. Happy growing Salt!
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2018   #3
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

You won't be sorry with Butterfly Weed (A. tuberosa). Mine attracts honeybees.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2018   #4
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

There are 11.21 acres that we pay taxes for and call home here. There are many beautiful wildflowers, cacti, and flowers growing naturally and those we have planted throughout the 25+ years in beds.

I have a huge amount of seeds that need to be planted. They are mostly tomato and pepper seeds, but there are many flower seeds too. A lot are from people that no longer post here. Keeping them in a box and binders gives them no chance. I know what to do with those flower seeds now.

Last edited by AlittleSalt; March 10, 2018 at 09:17 AM. Reason: missing word
Old March 10, 2018   #5
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

I love A tuberosa. I have one plant I started from seed years ago. The deep orange
color is so pretty.

Here is the plant in 2009, I must have at least started the seed in 2007 or 08. It is
still going strong.

The second picture is 2013.

Photobucket is not working properly. Don't know how to edit these pictures smaller
as an attachment. Sorry, pics are a bit large.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0132.jpg (330.3 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0204.jpg (689.5 KB, 69 views)
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2018   #6
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Salt, at the very least, dump all the seeds into a bowl and scatter them somewhere and keep moist until they sprout. You've got nothing to lose.

Nan
Old March 10, 2018   #7
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Roper, those are beautiful.

Nan, that's what I'm thinking. A funny thought comes to mind if the seeds do germinate and flower. A person asking, "What are those flowers?" My reply in a Texan accent, "I don't know, but aren't they pretty."

Last edited by AlittleSalt; March 10, 2018 at 12:16 PM.
Old March 10, 2018   #8
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
...A person asking, "What are those flowers?" My reply in a Texan accent, "I don't know, but aren't they pretty."
. You could always alphabetize the packets and scatter each one in it's own 2 square foot space, next to each other...

Nan
Old March 10, 2018   #9
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Just started some nasturtiums and petunias today for my wife.This is my first time doing this from seed,hope I did not start to soon.I always buy flowers around Mother's day.Last frost date here in NE Ohio is around second week of May give a week or two.
cjp1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2018   #10
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Roper, those are beautiful.

Nan, that's what I'm thinking. A funny thought comes to mind if the seeds do germinate and flower. A person asking, "What are those flowers?" My reply in a Texan accent, "I don't know, but aren't they pretty."
Thanks salt. That’s what my sister use to do when I would give her a bunch of flower
seeds from big group swaps. When something she liked bloomed, she asks me what
it was and I would never know.
Old March 10, 2018   #11
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

CJP, can they take cold, or do you leave them inside until after lfd?

Nan
Old March 10, 2018   #12
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

I was going to keep them indoors until ready to plant outdoors in May but as this is my first time from seed,when could they be planted?I started them in a styrofoam egg carton.I just read they do not transplant well and should place them in peat pots,I have some and am going to transfer them tomorrow.I have 2 lavender bushes in the front of the house that faces south and gets full sun.I plan on planting them around the lavender.

Last edited by cjp1953; March 10, 2018 at 09:09 PM.
Old March 11, 2018   #13
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjp1953 View Post
I was going to keep them indoors until ready to plant outdoors in May but as this is my first time from seed,when could they be planted?I started them in a styrofoam egg carton.I just read they do not transplant well and should place them in peat pots,I have some and am going to transfer them tomorrow.I have 2 lavender bushes in the front of the house that faces south and gets full sun.I plan on planting them around the lavender.
Your plan sounds good. I have grown petunia's from seed(tiny seed they are) plant
them when it warms up, same time you plant your tomatoes. Tiny seed like petunia,
I don't bury. Just surface sow. Light helps them to germinate.
Which one's do not transfer well? Is it the nasturtiums? I usually start them in peat
pellets.
Old March 11, 2018   #14
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Yes it's nasturtiums.I did not get to repot them today but hope to in the next few days.My wife is babysitting over at our daughter's and with work I'm on the run.
Old March 11, 2018   #15
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

I will be starting mine next week. Many are supposed to be native to Texas, so maybe they are in you wildflower patch, AlittleSalt. They include salvia coccinea, datura and cosmos sulfureus. I also like to grow the (for me) annual butterfly weed (Asclepias curassavica) since it blooms all summer. A few years ago, I recieved seeds in the seed exchange for marigold Tashkent monastery, and I have continued to save seeds and grow it annually. It does not have that strongly scented foliage of many of the commercially available varieties. Love the deep red color edged in gold. Last year was the first time I grew nasturtium, and the just to decorate the community garden site. I fell in love with peppery tasting foliage, as well as the pretty flowers, so they are coming back. Since I collected so many seeds from my dahlias, I'll need to start some of those. And that is just the tip of the iceberg.
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote