Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old July 18, 2016   #106
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordy View Post
Maybe the best tasting tomato so far this season: Gallego

Glad to hear that since both Dutch and Gerardo are growing it this summer for seed production, my seeds from Vladimir.

But, Tania's page for it shows

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Gallego

... info and pictures from Vladimir,indicates pink,while yours looks red to me.Maybe a photography issue as often happens?

It will be a few more weeks before I get some indication of color of ripe fruits on this one and the others that both Vladimir and Ilex sent to me,the latter via his SSE lstings.

Actually it may be closer to several months for this one and the other newest varieties that my seed producers have.

Carolyn
Old July 18, 2016   #107
swordy
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, I got my seeds from Vladimir. It is red for me and also Ellie's grow out was red too. She posted pictures in another forum. I don't know why this happened!
We'll see what you will have!
Stelios
swordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2016   #108
swordy
Tomatovillian™

But in this thread Carolyn, Vladimir says in post #48 that it is a red tomato and this can also be seen in its photos! So, maybe it's tania's page which has an error!
Stelios
swordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2016   #109
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordy View Post
But in this thread Carolyn, Vladimir says in post #48 that it is a red tomato and this can also be seen in its photos! So, maybe it's tania's page which has an error!
Stelios
Good catch stelios,right you are.

But if you look at Tania's page for it she hasn't grown it herself,she was just entering the info that Vladimir sent to her.

I now agree that Gallego should be red and will have to wait for Dutch and Gerardo to confirm that, and I'm sure they will.

Thanks again.

Carolyn
Old July 18, 2016   #110
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Good catch stelios,right you are.

But if you look at Tania's page for it she hasn't grown it herself,she was just entering the info that Vladimir sent to her.

I now agree that Gallego should be red and will have to wait for Dutch and Gerardo to confirm that, and I'm sure they will.

Thanks again.

Carolyn
1st Gallego seedling had vigor and was doing great, then I transplanted it to 707 Soil and it got stunted. 2nd seedling I added some recycled soil and it went down like Sonny Liston to Stem Rot. Just started germinating another batch. Cleaned all my equipment, bought new soil, will be a lot more trigger happy with the hydrogen peroxide, etc etc etc.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2016   #111
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

I am hoping to see Gallego seeds in an offer soon. SIGN ME UP!
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2016   #112
ilex
Tomatovillian™

Gallego means "from Galicia", which is a fairly big area. There must be a few varieties under that name. I am not surprised you see a pink and a red version.
ilex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2016   #113
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilex View Post
Gallego means "from Galicia", which is a fairly big area. There must be a few varieties under that name. I am not surprised you see a pink and a red version.
Either that,which makes sense but also an epidermis mutation which could lead to both red and pink versions.

There were several varieties I maintained with both the original fruit color and also another variant. But I NEVER sent out seeds for the variants.

Some folks do so that's how you get Amana Pink instead of Orange,or Fish Lake Puce,ahem,etc.

Or try

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...b=General_Info

Which Glenn at Sandhill got from the original red version I had sent him.

I think the one that most folks are aware of is

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...h_Lake_Oxheart

Tania kind of waffles on fruit color and says her seeds were from Neil G,the original source, but so were mine since Neil G has been a longtime friend of mine.I first offered it in a seed offer here at Tville from Neil's seeds,and some got reds and some got pinks.At that point I asked Neil for new seeds,and same thing.

Conclusion?

It flip flopped back and forth between a yellow epidermis and a clear one.

There was no difference in taste between the two,and it's a great tasting heart.

One last example

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Green_Doctors

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...octors_Frosted

And it was Jeff and Neil who named it GD Frosted.

Carolyn
Old July 19, 2016   #114
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Gallego is tomato red. I will add to Tatiana´s TOMATObase this description and in a table I change pink (I wrote it there myself) on red.

Tomato native province of Galicia (Spain). Mid season, indeterminante, regular leaves, large red fruits (600-700 g) with a very thin skin, good taste, sweet
On the Internet you can also find Gallego Rosa
This year I have with tomato Gallego same problems as Gerardo. I have one plant with some green fruits and suddenly began to dry up, it is almost without leaves (that would be bad seeds?).
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2016   #115
ilex
Tomatovillian™

Yes, I've seen varieties like that with a certain % of another color. I have one called rosado y rojo, as about 25% are red. In other varieties you find 50% potato leaves, or some traits are not really fixed, and some are diverse enough to be considered landraces.

In a few cases you get mixes, that will end up as landraces, or be selected into something else.
Old July 19, 2016   #116
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Yes, I've seen varieties like that with a certain % of another color. I have one called rosado y rojo, as about 25% are red. In other varieties you find 50% potato leaves, or some traits are not really fixed, and some are diverse enough to be considered landraces.

In a few cases you get mixes, that will end up as landraces, or be selected into something else.
About the 50% PL,wouldn't that refer to one variety I got from you called Colgar Papuo?

Does seed saved from a PL give plants that are PL and seed saved from the RL give plants that give RL plants?

There was another situation like this,not with anything from Spain and right now I forget which variety it was,where seeds saved from a PL gave both PL and RL plants and seeds saved from an RL plant gave both RL and PL.

Carolyn
Old July 19, 2016   #117
ilex
Tomatovillian™

No, papuo is 100% pl, any rl would be a cross. I have about 30 plants of papuo and not a single rl. I am very surprised to hear you got rl plants.
Old July 19, 2016   #118
ilex
Tomatovillian™

Those with some PL plants I can think of right now are Castellon 2, Alcora and one from Artana ... all de colgar
Old July 19, 2016   #119
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
No, papuo is 100% pl, any rl would be a cross. I have about 30 plants of papuo and not a single rl. I am very surprised to hear you got rl plants.
I didn't mean to mislead you.Two of my seed producers are growing Papuo and all I know right now is how many plants they put out,but nothing more.

Gerardo is also growing Papuo as well, and I'm waiting for his update,since he's been back in CA for a few days.

Carolyn
Old July 21, 2016   #120
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

The Gallego plants that I am growing for Carolyn are extremely vigorous!
They must be a good match for my amended dolomite clay soil.
Thank you Vladimir and Carolyn!
Dutch

The intuitive mind is a gift, and the rational mind is a faithful servant. But we have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. (paraphrased) Albert Einstein

I come from a long line of sod busters, spanning back several centuries.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote