Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old March 10, 2016   #1
twillis2252
Tomatovillian™

Default Charleston Hot

Anyone tried? Developed by Clemson researchers twenty some years ago at their research facility in Charleston County. Recall there was a lot of local publicity when it was introduced. I purchased some seeds to try this year.

http://agresearchmag.ars.usda.gov/1995/oct/charleston
twillis2252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2016   #2
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

I haven't grown it, first I have heard of it. I did enjoy the link and reading about its history. I especially was interested in the part talking about resistance to nematode.

I googled up the sister plant Carolina Cayenne and it looks interesting too. : )

What other peppers you planning on growing this year? You decided yet?
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2016   #3
twillis2252
Tomatovillian™

Hi Ella!
I only grow a few peppers. I love them but my wife is unable to enjoy. I am growing some jalapeno with the Charleston Hot. Would you like a few seed? I still have your address and will send if you would like to try. T..
twillis2252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2016   #4
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Can your wife eat sweet peppers? Does she like them? Corbaci and Lipstick are sweet and I've had women who were not big pepper eaters enjoy them.

I appreciate the offer, but I have so many already this year I am going to be growing. I know I wouldn't be able to get to them this year. If they grow good for you and you save seeds, maybe then I'll holler at you.

What I thought was neat and interesting was that it was like an heirloom pepper. While I have seeds and grown the super hots, I enjoy learning and finding out about the heirlooms. Lots about heirloom tomatoes, but not so much on heirloom peppers. Maybe you'll make it popular again. : )

If I decide to add anything to my list this year, and that is a big if, it will be Farmer's Jalapeno. I have got to see what a potato colored, looking pepper looks like. Of course I will use my neighbor to try it first. : )
Old March 11, 2016   #5
Scooty
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by twillis2252 View Post
Anyone tried? Developed by Clemson researchers twenty some years ago at their research facility in Charleston County. Recall there was a lot of local publicity when it was introduced. I purchased some seeds to try this year.

http://agresearchmag.ars.usda.gov/1995/oct/charleston
I remember trying it when I was in the south. It had very good resistance to root-knot. Pretty productive.
Scooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2016   #6
DAC596
Tomatovillian™

Default CHARLSTON

I grew them last year. Did very well and very colorful to maturity. Green to yellow to orange then to red. I dried all of mine and plan to grind to powder. I did put a couple into a batch of chili and it was just the right heat for me. Hope you enjoy.
DAC596 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2016   #7
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
I haven't grown it, first I have heard of it. I did enjoy the link and reading about its history. I especially was interested in the part talking about resistance to nematode.

I googled up the sister plant Carolina Cayenne and it looks interesting too. : )

What other peppers you planning on growing this year? You decided yet?
I grow Car. Cayenne yearly, it produces about 500 peppers per plant for me and gets 4-5 ft tall. 2x hotter than reg cayenne. In short it loves heat and is a beast of a plant.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2016   #8
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
I grow Car. Cayenne yearly, it produces about 500 peppers per plant for me and gets 4-5 ft tall. 2x hotter than reg cayenne. In short it loves heat and is a beast of a plant.
Oh my! 500 peppers! I was trying very hard not to add any more to my list this year, but now I think I am going to have to give Car. Cayenne a try. With it being as hot as you say, sounds like it would be a good one for heat with out having to try and deal with all the fussiness of trying to grow the super hots, which are way..way.. to hot for me to eat.

Enablers!!!!!!! Gotta love 'em!