Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old April 10, 2006   #16
Cyn
Tomatovillian™

Default inspiration

Tony,
thanks to your corn in container photo I have started corn in two 15 gal buckets. It is still small, but I have high hopes. Is corn a heavy feeder?

Cyn
Cyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2006   #17
tony_k_orlando
Tomatovillian™

Hi Cyn,

Hope you have great luck as I did !

I feed my plants often with an approximate half strength liguid fert. I feed em everytime I water between rain showers.

My experience is that corn is a medium hungry plant that does well with an initial fertilizer application only OR fed lightly each time watered.

They are definately NOT like banana plants that can handle a ton of fert per month.

be sure to let us know how they do!

tony
tony_k_orlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2006   #18
Cyn
Tomatovillian™

Default thanks

I appreciate the feedback. Your plants alwasy look so good...I'll keep you posted.
Cyn
Cyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2006   #19
SelfSufficient1
Tomatovillian™

I have some corn in containers started too. This one is called Blue Jade and is supposed to be great for containers. I guess we'll see.
Old April 10, 2006   #20
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

Have you heard of the new sweet corn, Mirai? Supposed to be the absolute best tasting corn ever. So tender and naturally juicy you can eat it straight off the stalk. It's that good they say. When the seed buyer from Park tasted it in the field like this she immediately began negotiating to buy.

It was developed by accident, in Illinois. It is so tender that it can't be mechanically harvested, therefore no US market until recently. It became an instant hit in Japan where they still harvest by hand in many places. Then it became popular back here at roadside stands, and now the seeds are available. At least they were. One variety of Mirai, the yellow, is already sold out. Some bi-color is still left, and I ordered some today. 100 seeds to a pack, I think. They sure give it some high billing.

Don
Old April 11, 2006   #21
SelfSufficient1
Tomatovillian™

I will be interested to hear what you think of this corn after you grow it. Sounds interesting. Is this a hybrid?
Old April 11, 2006   #22
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

Almost all of them now are hybrids.

Don
Old April 18, 2006   #23
Mantis
Tomatovillian™

Those pics are very impressive. I will try some corn in my bigger pots come spring down here. I am trying some broad beans in large pots and they have just emerged. I will post a pic in a couple of months.
Keep up the good work. Looking real good.
Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2006   #24
Sorellina
Tomatovillian™

Ciao Tony,

Your pictures of corn growing in plastic totes made a huge impression on us last year. When we obtained some strawberry popcorn seed at a seed exchange put on by Seeds of Diversity Canada, we got very excited because apparently this variety only grows 4' high. We're planning on growing it in a half barrel. I don't have a ton of experience of corn, it's kind of Duane's domain, but I do hope it does well (translation, I do hope he remembers to water and feed it).

Cheers!
Old November 20, 2006   #25
jackman
Tomatovillian™

Let me ask a silly question. Can a tomato be grafted to a non tomato? I have never grafted anything. It sounds like a lot of fun.
Thank you
jackman
jackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22, 2006   #26
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Jackman, Tomatoes can be grafted to eggplant rootstock as well. Check out Johnnyseeds as they have a brief "how to" on grafting tomatoes and also do a google search on the subject. Alot of info on the web.
Amideutch
amideutch is offline   Reply With Quote