Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old September 19, 2006   #1
bizzarbazzar
Tomatovillian™

Default Has anyone ever used a metal type container?

I received 5 large containers that were intended for water gardens. They are not real copper, but look like copper and I have no idea what the metal is. I want DH to drill holes in them and use them for my winter tomato experiments, and then next summer have some plants in containers on the deck. Probably in the summer they will be cherry tomatoes so my son can just pick a tomato and eat it without asking Mommy to cut it for him. ANyway, are there any special methods I need to know about growing in metal? Or am I barking up the wrong tree? Thanks all for your time....Heather

bizzarbazzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2006   #2
dcarch
Tomatovillian™

Use a magnet to test. If it sticks then it's iron, which is not too good for planting things 'cause the varnish is not that durable. many fertilizer can eat thru iron in no time.
Also, try putting one outside under the sun, you may find it can get very hot very quickly.

dcarch
dcarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2006   #3
bizzarbazzar
Tomatovillian™

OK, the magnet test is a negative...It didnt stick....So thats a good thing I guess. But I havent seen the sun for days... Hopefully in a day or 2 I can test it. That makes sense that I wouldnt want it to get too hot... Thanks for the info
Old September 20, 2006   #4
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

I plant both flowers, peppers, and tomatoes in metal containers...some galvanized, some not.
I don't even drill holes in all of them....the heat and wind, keep them dry, and I use lots of compost in my mix with good potting soil...
My feeling is, if it is bigger than 2 gallons I have to put something in it...
I can pull my containers out of the afternoon heat if needed, but seldom do , and they do fine.
Jeanne
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2006   #5
bizzarbazzar
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Jeanne, I am going to try it. These are gorgeous huge containers and they have to have something in it. And if metal is OK. Ill try it. If they seen to get too hot or dry... Ill pull them out of the heat as needed. Take care

Heather