Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 29, 2011   #16
To-MAH-to
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVTomatoMan View Post
I have bunches of aphids. I keep them under control by spraying left over dish water (dishsoap and water). Where ever I spray when I go out the next day the aphids are dried up and dead. I don't mind using dishsoap water because I wash the tomatoes in that (and rinse of course) before I eat them anyhow. Essentially it is a cheap alternative to insecticidal soap.

Weather has a lot to do with it. Last year it was dry and no aphid problems. This year it's wet and I have aphid problems. I grow everything from seed so no contamination from outside sources. Some plants are more affected than others.

Good luck.

Randy
I tried dish soap but some articles I read made me think it might kill the plant.
Have you had any trouble using it?
To-MAH-to is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2011   #17
ceresone
Tomatovillian™

glad to read this--I didnt know they came in white either. I have millions--they've killed 7 tomato plants already! I used Payola--no success-last night I dusted with Sevin. Guess I'll have to wait for rain to wash it off before I try the dish soap. Glad to know what they are. I think mine came in the straw mulch, because I raised the plants--and didnt have a problem untill I used the straw.
ceresone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2011   #18
To-MAH-to
Tomatovillian™

The Ortho Max Bug B Gon worked really well for me.
I havent had to treat it again yet.
Those little freaks did enough damage to the leaves. Good thing I caught them in time or I think my plants would have bought the farm too.
To-MAH-to is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2011   #19
Aphid
Tomatovillian™

I gave up on the Seven and other harsh" kill em all" sprays.
the bad bugs always returned even more fierce before the good bugs did.

I got tired of fighting bugs all summer and finally harvesting 3 stink bug ridden tomatoes after spraying 10 pounds of "kill em all"

I have had much better results with selective organic sprays like neem , pyrethin , insecticidal soaps, BT, DE.

the bad bugs will always recover quicker and fiercer than the good ones ,,, it's a bad cycle to fall into during the course of the season (spray, short recovery, bugs are worse, spray, short recovery, bugs come back worse...ect)

once I figured this out after many years of terrible results , my crops have produced 10+fold.

don't get me wrong,,I have my share of aphids ! but I also have tons of lacewings,ladybugs,wasps, and birds ..keeping the population in check.

I still have to spray but it very detrimental to kill everything in sight.. than wait 2 weeks before you can eat it. (been there)
Aphid is offline   Reply With Quote