Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old May 27, 2012   #1
JustinMM
Tomatovillian™

Default What are these little black flies?

Hey all! I noticed on most of my tomato plants these little black flies. I'm not sure what they are, what or what they're doing to my plants. I've seen up to 15 of these things on a single plant. I have not yet seen any damage, but regardless, I've been pinching them off.

Does anyone recognize these critters?

JustinMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2012   #2
BarbJ
Tomatovillian™

Look to me like the flying form of aphids. Aphids come in all different colors, not just green.

Good idea to get rid of them, they can carry diseases to your plants.

This is a pretty good chart following Aphid's life cycle.

Last edited by BarbJ; May 28, 2012 at 12:14 AM. Reason: added picture
BarbJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2012   #3
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

Are you sure they aren't fungus gnats?
Crandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2012   #4
BarbJ
Tomatovillian™

I'm pretty sure. If you take off the wings the body is the same shape as an aphid.

Here's a Fungus gnat; it's legs are longer and body is thinner with pointed end.

Plus fungus gnats don't land on the plant for very long, mostly they fly around the plant a lot and land on the soil, they lay their eggs in the soil, so they hang out there mostly.
Aphids that land on a plant pretty much stay on the plant and don't fly much, if at all. At least that's' what I've observed.

JustinMM, do these fly around the plant or do they tend to stay on the plant until you pick them off?
BarbJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2012   #5
JustinMM
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the responses everyone! The bugs do not fly around at all. From my observations, they're completely stationary, and do not attempt to get away when I pick them off.
JustinMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2012   #6
drezz
Tomatovillian™

I see the exact same bugs on my plants too. Those are aphids? Well, that's good to know. I try to pick them off and I use a pyrethrin spray but they are determined and keep coming back to some of my plants.

Is there anything that can be done to keep them off or do I just need to keep on them?
drezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2012   #7
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

In my organic garden, I usually leave aphids alone.

Early in the season, it's great to see lots of aphids because that means the aphid-eating (=beneficial) insects and hummingbirds will be attracted to my garden.

Later in the season, if you look at them with a strong magnifying glass, you may see little holes in the aphid bodies. That usually means parasitic wasps have laid their eggs in the aphids, and I want to let the parasitic wasps hatch so they can continue patrolling my garden.

I allow a certain amount of sacrificial plants (and I've never seen them do any harm to tomato plants in my garden). Sometimes the aphids gang up on one plant in a group of 5 or 10 brassicas. But if I see too many, I wipe them off with a glove. Once the aphids fall to the ground, they don't climb back up. Their bodies are soft and vulnerable, and it's overkill to use sprays.

http://www.pacifichorticulture.org/g...likely-allies/
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2012   #8
Kazfam
Tomatovillian™

A vote for Aphids - adult.