Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 14, 2009   #1
frogsleap farm
Tomatovillian™

Default OSU Blue

I've got 10 OSU Blue seedlings now at the cotyledon stage. On one of the ten has cotyledons with a distinct dusty blue/purple color, the rest are normal. This is my first year with this germplasm, but wasn't expecting segregation with the anthocyanin phenotype, nor was I expecting early purpling in vegetative tissue. What have others seen? Thanks
frogsleap farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2009   #2
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

It depends on your seed source. The P20 selection combines 3 separate genes to achieve the shiny eggplant black color. In the first year that I grew them, there was obvious segregation among the seedlings and this with seed direct from Jim Myers. I planted the seedlings with the deepest color on the stems and leaves and from those got one plant that made intense shiny black fruits. From that plant, I have gotten only plants producing shiny black fruit so I believe it is homozygous for all three genes.

A common phenotype is a seedling that looks almost frosty blue. That seems to be what you are describing.

DarJones
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2009   #3
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

Any improvement in flavor, Darrel? Glad to hear the F2 selection produced all shiny black fruit. Hopefully I see the same results here.

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2009   #4
frogsleap farm
Tomatovillian™

Perfect, thanks. I'll plant out the rest of the seed I have, hopefully finding a couple more "frosty blue". I did note that all 10 of the P20 seedlings have a darker more distinctly uniform and darker purple underside of the cotyledons, but some variation here also. I'll take careful notes and very likely find the same correlation w/ fruit color you describe. Thanks for your help.
Old March 15, 2009   #5
Suze
Tomatovillian™

This year, I am growing plants from saved seeds of OSU Blue from someone in Indiana, and also the P20 "selection" Darrel mentioned.

A few seedlings of each were potted up, and stems are still distinctly purple tinted, even at 7-8" tall. Also noticed a vague blue tint to the foliage earlier on. Kind of hard to make out much at the moment, as I recently sprayed all my seedlings with Surround to protect them from the wind. More later - a couple of plants of each will go into the garden in the next couple of days, weather permitting.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2009   #6
frogsleap farm
Tomatovillian™

Well, you're several weeks ahead of me Suze. I also got seed from IN, but from a different second source - so far they look about the same. I'll let you know what I see as these get bigger and finally go to the field. What was surprizing to me was that one in ten was distinctly different, the difference more striking now than earlier.