Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 2, 2010   #1
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Default Early tasting results

As I've posted before I am trying a huge number of new to me varieties and it has been a lot of fun looking at all the different types of tomatoes and anticipating tasting them. So far I have gotten to taste just a few and have been disappointed in the lack of taste in a couple of them. The Noire de Crimee were all bland and a little dry could be because the plant was diseased. The first two off the Gregori's Altai were very bland and a bit mealy so I hope they get better because it has a lot of fruit on a good healthy plant. Stupice was a pleasant surprise for such an early tomato with a good balanced taste and creamy texture. The Jetsetter container grown were very nice with a good old time tomato taste. The most impressive to me so far has been Sungold hybrid. Wow! what a delicious cherry. I usually find tomatoes described as sweet to be a little too bland but not Sungold. My poor wife hasn't gotten to try it yet as none have made it inside yet since my youngest son who is home from college has been gobbling them up with a little help from me.
Will be trying Kosovo, Red Siberian, Donskoi, Pruden's Purple, Limbaugh's Legacy, and several more in the next week. I'm starting to get a little blush on tomatoes all over the garden now so I am hoping for more pleasant surprises like Sungold in the near future.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2010   #2
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

You cant go wrong with Kosovo, its my favorite heart. Lets us know what you think.

Damon
sprtsguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2010   #3
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsguy76 View Post
You cant go wrong with Kosovo, its my favorite heart. Lets us know what you think.

Damon
Just tried my first one today and it is a terrific tasting tomato and big to boot. Tried my first Red Siberian and it was impressive as well. I was worried that my Prudens Purple would be bland after reading some other posts but it was very good though milder than some.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote