Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 29, 2010   #1
tedln

Default What traits would you breed into future OP varieties?

With the huge number of OP varieties of tomatoes available today, which traits would you like to see incorporated in modern OP varieties? I think my first would be general disease resistance. I would also like to see consistent high production and it would probably rank equally with taste for me. How about colors, shapes, and sizes?

Ted
Old May 29, 2010   #2
BlackestKrim
Tomatovillian™

I am most interested in tomatoes setting in the hotter weather, myself.

Other than that, taste+ yield is next favorite.
BlackestKrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2010   #3
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I would like to see more OP cherry varieties with disease resistance, especially Fusarium because that's my issue here. It would also be nice if they didn't crack, but I'm not asking for much, am I?
Old May 29, 2010   #4
travis
Tomatovillian™

With the assumption that the open pollinated varieties used in such improvement projects already have top quality flavor to begin with, I'd breed in disease resistances, heat tolerance, a variety of color and a variety of sizes compatible with a variety of uses.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2010   #5
bigbubbacain
Tomatovillian™

Maybe I'm getting caught up in the semantics here, but I personally look at this from the perspective of looking for disease tolerance and heat tolerance. I think diseases and heat issue are always going to a constant part of gardening in my area. I'm willing to grow a prolific variety that has beautiful flavorful fruit, even if it is weaker than others in the face of diseases. I've given up on finding disease resistant types because I've never found one I liked that's resistant to every disease in my area. There always seems to be a pathogen waiting for us tomato growers to discover.

My favorites for flavor and appearance don't come without a sacrifice, and it's usually in regard to plant health. For example, my Golden Ponderosa got loaded down with about 10 beefsteaks before the Fusarium Wilt set in. I had allowed it to produce 2 main stems and all of my fruits are on the healthy stem. Every day it looks a little sicker and sicker but the fruits are still ripening. This is my idea of disease tolerance, compared to varieties that would stop growing altogether when a disease sets in. I know every time I grow GP it's going to look awful and die, but it's still worth it to me because I'll be rewarded with late production of beautiful yellow beefsteaks that set surprisingly well in the heat. It always dies on me, but it "goes down swingin", so to speak. I'm growing it again for the first time in 3 years because I finally just shrugged and said "oh well, I just gotta have it".
bigbubbacain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2010   #6
oc tony
Tomatovillian™

A perineal 5-6 ft bush with diasese resistance. taste and production.
oc tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2010   #7
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by oc tony View Post
Um...perennial, right?
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2010   #8
discrepancy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kath View Post
Um...perennial, right?
If you misread "perineal" the same way I misread it... Well, I never expected to read a post on TVille that would have me laughing hysterically, but there you go.

On-topic, it'd be disease resistance and flavor for me.
discrepancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2010   #9
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by oc tony View Post
Umm... there is a variety out there called 'Monkey A$$'

As far as what I would want in a heirloom tomato or any tomato, early blight resistance since that is always my issue.
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop

Last edited by remy; May 29, 2010 at 10:18 PM. Reason: word would not print
remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2010   #10
TZ-OH6
Tomatovillian™

If'n taint too much to ax for... Frost resistance
TZ-OH6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2010   #11
frogsleap farm
Tomatovillian™

I'll add early fruit set and tolerance to Septoria. I also think there's a lot fun to be had with various color/stripes/shapes combinations.
frogsleap farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2010   #12
tedln

Considering how everyone seems to be competing to grow the biggest of everything, I'm a little surprised size isn't important to some. You know what I'm talking about. How about a 1500 lb pumpkin that isn't worth making a single pumpkin pie from. How about a forty lb. tomato. How about needing a seventy lb hamburger to dress with a slice of that forty lb tomato. Is tomato size only important in contests?

I don't remember anyone mentioning smaller plants that produce normal sized fruits. I'm always amazed when my plants are eight or nine feet tall. I'm impressed, but would really prefer a five foot tall plant still loaded with fruit just before the first frost near Christmas.

Just curious!

Ted
Old May 30, 2010   #13
danwigz
Tomatovillian™

I think the Dwarf Project is working on the size of plants for everyone, so there ya go for smaller plants.

As far as size, as long as it tastes good I don't care if its huge or small. Personally I'm interested in more disease resistance and also creating smaller plants for city gardeners.

Danwigz
danwigz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2010   #14
travis
Tomatovillian™

Dwarf plants with great tasting tomatoes is a real challenge due to the genetic drag inherent in dwarves against flavor. I understand there may be some progress in that regard with the ones that have Green Giant as an input.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2010   #15
Lee
Tomatopalooza™ Moderator

Quote:
Dwarf plants with great tasting tomatoes is a real challenge due to the genetic drag inherent in dwarves against flavor. I understand there may be some progress in that regard with the ones that have Green Giant as an input.
The Sleepy, Sneezy, Witty, and Happy dwarf lines have all
produced very good to "knock your socks off" fantastic tasting
varieties. Summertime Gold is one of the dwarf varieties that
will easily take on the best tasting indeterminates out there!

As for other traits I would like to see.... I'm thinking a variety with deer tolerance would be nice!

Lee

Cuostralee - The best thing on sliced bread.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote