Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 4, 2010   #1
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Default Azoychka

Some here have praised this fairly early yellow before and I wanted to give it some love as well. First taste of a tomato from my garden this year and it is actually pretty darn good for an early ( 62 days from plant out to cutting board).
3rd time growing it and the plant is extremely prolific this year and is approaching 7 ft and also loaded with tomatoes. Usually averages around 6 plus ounces for me.
Good tartness, texture and overall flavor.
Sliced one up at work today and shared with my boss and UPS driver. Very well recieved,.
Pretty darn good early for those that havent tried it yet.

I first read Craig giving this one a thumbs up and it was among the first packages of seeds I purchased.
Old May 5, 2010   #2
slo-toma
Tomatovillian™

Nice to hear that. Last year I've grown Azoychka for the first time but it didn't convince me - I prefer sweet tomatoes. I may give it another try next year, since it's a praised variety.
slo-toma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2010   #3
tomakers
Tomatovillian™

I keep thinking I will grow this one this year, and then either can't find the seeds or just plain forget. This year the former. I could swear I had some somewhere!!
Old May 5, 2010   #4
jhp
Tomatovillian™

I like Azoychka too! I grew it 2007 and now I'm growing it again this year. Just about ready for plant out. They've been my fastest growing seedlings. I like the tart flavor. It's different from the sweet tomatoes I usually grow. It was my first BLT in 2007. I love the bright sunny color.

Jen
jhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2010   #5
MikeInCypress
Tomatovillian™

It was a winner for me in both 2008 and 2009. Somehow I forgot to plant it this year. I guess I will have to settle on Taxi and Lemon Boy, both of which have set fruit.

MikeInCypress
Old May 5, 2010   #6
Dukerdawg
Growing for Market Moderator

Azoychka is back in the rotation for me this year. It's a rare tomato that gets so big so early with great taste.

Duane
Old May 5, 2010   #7
bigbubbacain
Tomatovillian™

Azoychka was probably my all time best tasting, most reliable yellow ever. Manyel tasted watery, Limmony wasn't as productive. The last time I grew it it was among the first to get disease. If had known how healthy my tomato plants would be this year, I'd have grown it again.
bigbubbacain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2010   #8
creister
Tomatovillian™

It is also a good tasting reliable variety for me. I didn't grow it this summer, but may plant one this fall.
creister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2010   #9
Jayc
Tomatovillian™

My first season growing Azoychka. It's early days yet, but after reading this thread I'm really looking forward to sampling
Jayc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2010   #10
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

I always grow one potted Azoychka to get me a jump on the season with an early large tomato, but yes, they are a tart and citrusy tomato, so if you need them sweet, they won't be to your liking.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2010   #11
bigbubbacain
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsack View Post
I always grow one potted Azoychka to get me a jump on the season with an early large tomato, but yes, they are a tart and citrusy tomato, so if you need them sweet, they won't be to your liking.
I sort of like the fact that it's tart for a yellow. It caught me off guard the first time I tried it!
bigbubbacain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2010   #12
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Of course it's tart like many Russian tomato varieties. We like tart tomatoes here in former Soviet Union countries very much.
This amateur tomato variety has been widely grown in USSR at least from 1980s under two names "Azochka" (without "y"!) and "Zolotoy Borago".

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2010   #13
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Pulled a 1 lb fused fruit from AZ yesterday.
Old June 1, 2010   #14
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Azoychka will end up being my most productive OP variety this year. Picked 50 so far and the plant still has fruit on it.
I have however noticed that the stinkbugs love it for some reason. Any fruit from here on out will probably have stinkbug damage. I will leave it as a sacrificial plant so to speak.
Old June 2, 2010   #15
eyolf
Tomatovillian™

I traded seeds with a Canadian saver for "Orange Russian", which I coudn't tell from Azoychka. I love the flavor and the care-free productivity, but my favorite aspect is the tiny little red streak on the blossm end...I just love its looks.

I don't know that O.R is the same as Azoychka, but they look alike and performed alike here. It is in my garden again this summer.

We will can/freeze a few quarts of yellow tomatoes this year again. We love winter soups made with yellow tomatoes!