Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 3, 2010   #1
Talon1189
Tomatovillian™

Default Giving plants to a friend.....

I have 12 plants that are 8 weeks old grown from seeds now in 3 1/2 inch pots. They are around 12 inches tall each. They have been outside to be hardened off for the last 11 days They are somewhat leggy but are very healthy looking plants. I am giving 8 of these plants to friends that do not do all the proper things for tomato plant happy health unfortunately. Should I put just a pinch of all organic 7/4/5 tomato fertilizer at the stem before giving my plants away to them? I know that the plants will probably never get fertilized again through out the whole growing season
Old June 3, 2010   #2
heirloomdaddy
Tomatovillian™

I went through the same thing. too many plants, and non tomato-savvy friends. You just have to let go. The plants will probably be fine. They are very very tough.
heirloomdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2010   #3
jhp
Tomatovillian™

I would not. I agree with heirloomdaddy, you have to let go. They are your friend's plants now. Also, this could be a good opportunity for them to see the difference between doing nothing and doing whatever you do. When they see your plants and how well they are producing, they may ask what you're doing. That will be your chance to tell them. Some will never listen anyway, as unfortunately, I've learned.

Jen
jhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2010   #4
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

Another thing about giving away OP tomato plants is that some people don't understand that they wont necessarily be as productive as some of the hybrids. About 4 years ago I gave some away and the recipients weren't happy with the production results. Of course they grew in the same spot every year with little or no soil amendments.
OmahaJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2010   #5
Talon1189
Tomatovillian™

I understand that I need to "just let them go" ....... My plants are the first tomato plants that I ever grown from seeds ever so I kinda got attached to them more than I should have They are kinda like dependents in a way like children. I can control their care while in my own hands........but
I have my hands tied once they are gone to other homes
Old June 5, 2010   #6
jhp
Tomatovillian™

I understand. I used to be that way too. But over the years, things happen, and people are not always as successful as they could be. I've learned to accept that. Also, a few years into it, you will just be happy to find people to take your extras and not have to care for them anymore. Gave away my last extra plants today and it's a load off. Now I can concentrate on MY garden.
jhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2010   #7
rsg2001
Tomatovillian™

I agree with all the advice. For years, I gave extra OP/heirloom seedlings to my brother, who mainly bought whatever the local nursery had on hand. He killed them... or didn't get any production out of them, and was always mystified as to why mine always seemed to be so healthy and productive. Even though he had much better sun than me. Finally he started adopting better practices... including regular biofungicide use (Serenade), Messenger (now defunct, but you can get different versions of it), etc. And they made improvements in the quantity and quality of his tomato, pepper and cuke garden. So you just have to be patient.
rsg2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2010   #8
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Remember this also; there are a lot more seed for you to experiment with and grow more plants. I love giving them away. This year I gave away over 200 plants and have heard back some good reports on some and some not so good reports on others. It gives me a broader view of which varieties can succeed in my area. Just because one does poorly for me could just be some bad luck or a bad spot or random insect disease transmission which might be different for someone else. A good example was my two Wes plants both were unlucky enough to be hit by TSWV while a friend that planted it got terrific production second only to Jetsetter; so I'll definitely be trying it again next year. If one variety does well for everyone then it is a certain regrow. While one that fails for everyone that tries it, makes it a poor candidate for a spot next year.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote