Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 5, 2010   #1
bohica
Tomatovillian™

Default The first tomatoes of the season!

Even after a late, rocky start, it seems that things are turning around...lol
While adding another "level" to our Florida weave, I noticed two golf ball size tomatoes on one of our German Johnson plants! I feel like a little kid in a candy store...lol Plenty of flowers on all of the plants, but the German Johnson always seem to produce earlier, have better yields, and to be honest, they are my favorite tomatoes. Nice firm packed sweet tomatoes.
On a separate note, we have Peppers growing on 2 of our Bells and one Cherry pepper plants.

I drenched all of the plants with the first batch of Compost tea of the season, put the rest through the irrigation system for the competitive plants, gave the tomatoes and peppers their weekly nutrients which included: Kelp, a Light application of Essentials Plus, a 100% organic liquid Derived from potassium humate, 21 natural L-amino acids, enzymes, simple & complex sugars, vitamins, kelp extracts, carbohydrates, hydrolyzed organic proteins, a natural wetting agent and natural biostimulants. It supplies all the "building blocks" for plant and soil nutrition.
All of those claims aside, the plants seem to really like it, and a light dose of Liquid Grow, an all-purpose plant food specially formulated to supply all six macronutrients and all ten essential micronutrients.
I figure that with the lack of nutrients in the container medium, and all of the watering we do to keep the plants from drying out and overheating in the containers, any nutrients that I apply will either be used up fast by the plants or leech out. Since I am fertilizing only once a week, I am trying introducing “complete” sources of nutrients.
Once again, I am applying these nutrients and bio stimulants at lower than recommended rates.
At this point the plants are very healthy.
bohica is offline   Reply With Quote