Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 4, 2010   #1
Chara
Tomatovillian™

Default Need help identifying this tomato

Greetings!
I received these seeds back in December 09 from someone up north. It was labeled Kumato. I knew that it would be somewhat a little different from the original kumato, but the results are amazingly shocking. Now I think that maybe the seeds got somehow mislabeled and hope that someone here may have an idea of what it could be. From the seeds sown on 01/01/10 by the end of May, the vines are over 6 feet tall, strong and healthy, RL, loaded with medium to large sized fruit, which ripens to somewhat a dirty orangy-green color. Has a bright green, juicy flesh with yellow epidermis, creamy, slightly acidic and sweet - overall, a very good taste, a beefsteak type fruit. If I haven't fully described - please, ask.
I love this tomato and really would like to know of what it is. Thank you,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg June 2010 033.jpg (60.1 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg June 2010 073.jpg (44.0 KB, 30 views)
Chara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2010   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

[quote=Chara;171221]Greetings!
I received these seeds back in December 09 from someone up north. It was labeled Kumato. I knew that it would be somewhat a little different from the original kumato, but the results are amazingly shocking. Now I think that maybe the seeds got somehow mislabeled and hope that someone here may have an idea of what it could be. From the seeds sown on 01/01/10 by the end of May, the vines are over 6 feet tall, strong and healthy, RL, loaded with medium to large sized fruit, which ripens to somewhat a dirty orangy-green color. Has a bright green, juicy flesh with yellow epidermis, creamy, slightly acidic and sweet - overall, a very good taste, a beefsteak type fruit. If I haven't fully described - please, ask.
I love this tomato and really would like to know of what it is. Thank you,[/quote

How many plants did you put out from those seeds and how many of them have fruits as you've shown?

If someone sent you seed of Kumato, which is a hybrid, you're absolutely right that the saved F2 seeds, or do you know they were F2 or what generation seeds you got, would not be the same as the original F1 Kumato. Also known as Rosso Bruno in the US.

If all the plants gave the same fruits , depending on how many, I think I'd assume that you were sent some Green when ripe variety and not saved Kumato seeds.

If of all the plants you put out only ONE had those fruits that wouldn't surprise me that much for the following reason/

Cherokee Green was a mutation of Cherokee Purple. Kumato is also a dark colored variety.

Grub's Mystery Green, also a green when ripe was a mutation from the variety Paul Robeson, also a so called black variety.

So, one plant with these fruits or ALL plants you put out so as to possibly distinguish between a stray seed, a wrong variety sent or a possible mutation.

There is no way that you can identify what the variety is unless ALL the plants of this variety were the same and so you were possibly sent seeds for the wrong variety and then you can check with the person who sent you the seeds and see if they also had a large green when ripe RL as part of their seed collection.

And if only ONE plant of those you put out it could also be a stray seed and asking the person who sent you the seeds might be in order as well.

If there's no way to ID it, which I think is true in this situation, save seeds, grow out several plants next year and see if it's genetically stable or is segregating out other plants with different kinds of fruits.
Old June 4, 2010   #3
Chara
Tomatovillian™

Thank you Carolyn137!
I have 3 vines of these and all have the same type of fruit, that is why I thought that it may have been mislabeled. And sure, I tried to contact the source but haven't got the response - I think, it is a busy time up north of planting out transplants, so she may don't even have time to go through all emails. I read her blog on tomatoes of 2009 season and see that she had the Aker's WV black. Do you think that my mystery tomatoes do look a little like the Aker's WV black? Or it could be crosspollination, who knows...
Thank you Carolyn for your time!
Chara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2010   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chara View Post
Thank you Carolyn137!
I have 3 vines of these and all have the same type of fruit, that is why I thought that it may have been mislabeled. And sure, I tried to contact the source but haven't got the response - I think, it is a busy time up north of planting out transplants, so she may don't even have time to go through all emails. I read her blog on tomatoes of 2009 season and see that she had the Aker's WV black. Do you think that my mystery tomatoes do look a little like the Aker's WV black? Or it could be crosspollination, who knows...
Thank you Carolyn for your time!
If you have three plants giving the same fruits then it isn't a stray seed. We also know it isn't a cross and I doubt that it's a mutation of Kumato F2.

What you show is a green when ripe type of which there are many many different varieties so unless your seed source can tell you what green when ripe seeds she or he had I don't think you're going to ba able to ID the specific variety.

Aker's West Virginia Black is a so called black and what you show isn't, so that 's not it.

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/A...Virginia_Black

Above is a link to Tania's data base which shows you what Aker's West Virginia Black looks like. Tania's site has info for about 3,000 varieties as well as seed sources for many of them and I think it's a great idea to keep the link to her Home Page in your faves.