Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 29, 2015   #1
MrsTwigg
Tomatovillian™

Default Recommend a "tomato-ey" orange cherry type?

Hi there,

I'm growing a few cherry types this year (Black Cherry, Blush, and Gardener's Delight) and thought it would be fun to grow another color to sort of round out the spectrum in my 'mater patch. Specifically, I'm looking for an orange or deep yellow cherry...I guess that Sungold would be the obvious choice, but I'm in the very small minority of those who don't care for it.

I'm obviously new to tomatoes, so any suggestions are welcome. I do love the color of Sungold...but what I'm looking for is a yellow/orange cherry that has a rich "real tomato" kind of flavor. Does such a thing exist?

PS I hope the title of this thread makes sense. I really couldn't think of how else to put it, and I know that flavor is a very subjective, individual kind of thing.

--
MrsTwigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2015   #2
Canehdian
Tomatovillian™

I'm trying Dr. Carolyn's this year. That's supposed to be not all about the sweet.
Canehdian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2015   #3
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I had a thread asking a similar question:
www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=33456

That thread was about orange cherries. Chang Li is my yellow cherry of choice. But I think it leans more toward sweet than tomatoey.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2015   #4
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

Last year I really liked Ambrosia Gold for an OP, and Esterina for a hybrid.
Old January 30, 2015   #5
zeuspaul
Tomatovillian™

Jaune Flamme is a nice looking and flavorful yellow orange tomato but golf ball size.
zeuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2015   #6
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

The closest to what you describe would be Orange Potato Leaf cherry. I just checked and the only place I see it listed is on heirloomtomatoes.net

I would toss in a plug for Galinas's Yellow cherry.

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Galina%27s_Yellow
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2015   #7
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

I am growing Starfire Isis now, it has some sweetness, but not like Sun Gold. It also has that POW when you eat it! Not to mention that it's a beautiful orange with a star at the blossom end.
I am offering it in my seed for SASE 2015 thread.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2015   #8
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Orange Parcuche hybrid is about the same color as Sungold, I never grew it though. Sunsugar also is the same color, but to me is a lot like Sungold. The Sun people developed a more crack resistant SunGold Called SunOrange. It's bigger too.

Last edited by drew51; January 30, 2015 at 01:36 PM.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2015   #9
MrsTwigg
Tomatovillian™

Wow, thank you, thank you, thank you! So many intriguing suggestions--I haven't even heard of most of these.

I'm still at that stage of trying out a number of varieties each year to hopefully hone in on my favorites. So far, Black Cherry is the only repeat grower for me; flavor-wise, it's been my favorite out of all the tomatoes I've grown so far, not just cherries.

Looks like I have some fun research ahead of me! Thanks again.
Old January 30, 2015   #10
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

I grew this one and every time I went by the plant I would pick a couple to snack on. Down to earth tomato flavor and not to sweet. Let me know if you want to give it a try.

Ami

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com/wiki...b=General_Info
Old January 30, 2015   #11
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

I really liked Prize of the Trials when I grew it. Somehow my seeds got crossed and last year I got red cherries. I have to repurchase seeds for it, but I really liked the flavor, sweetness and color.
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2015   #12
teenyb
Tomatovillian™

Default orange cherry

Try golden cherry...scrumptious! I buy from Plants of Distinction (UK)
teenyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2015   #13
walt456
Tomatovillian™

You can't get more tomatoey than yellow currants.
walt456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2015   #14
MrsTwigg
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the additional suggestions! And I just want to say "thank you" to Ginger2778 and amideutch for your generosity. I still need to get some practice growing and saving my own seeds before I'll feel right taking up anyone on seed offers. But I really, really appreciate it!

Walt--you know, I hadn't thought of yellow currant. I did grow red currant a couple years ago and remember liking the flavor it had quite a lot. The only thing that puts me off trying another currant type is that for some reason my red currant was extremely late-bearing...it grew like a monstrous weed all summer, but I believe it was mid-September before I saw any fruit. It quickly deluged me with currant tomatoes then, though...I had no chance of keeping up with picking them all. I assume it had problems setting fruit in the height if the summer heat, but, strangely, I don't recall even seeing any blossoms on it until the very tail end of the season. None of the other tomatoes I grew that year had this problem...it was quite odd. I may try a currant again sometime, but I'd love to know if my experience was typical before I devote space in my garden to another one.

As it happens, I serendipitously received a freebie packet of Jaune Flammee with my latest seed order. Since that was one of the tomatoes mentioned above, I pretty much have to give it a shot now. I haven't ruled out trying another one of the ones mentioned above this season, just to compare, though...we shall see! And thanks again to everyone who commented!
Old February 3, 2015   #15
walt456
Tomatovillian™

The yellow currants I grew last year definitely weren't late. I remember eating them in mid July and all the way up till frost. I'm not sure if mine was an anomaly though since I only grew one plant. It was as you said very vigorous. We picked thousands of those little yellow tomatoes. Every one I gave them to seemed to like them though and the first comment from most was how much tomato flavor they had.
walt456 is offline   Reply With Quote