Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old February 8, 2015   #31
OkieDan
Tomatovillian™

I down loaded the Tomato Chooser app, and found that Early Blight and Late Blight is common for my area(Tulsa OK). Looking at the pictures provided, it was EB. The app suggested 6 tomatoes with resistance to both EB and LB. 3 of them are Eva's Purple Ball, Difiant, and Mountain Magic.
OkieDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2015   #32
DarrenC
Tomatovillian™

I know this is an old thread... I was surfing about, as you do and I read Suttons are intending to supply seed of crimson crush after September, so it'll hopefully be a bit less extortionately priced.

Strangely on our main gardening tele programme the presenter, Monty Don, is trialling 4 blight resistant varieties but not Crimson Crush which is weird as these are usually promotional showcases. I think he's trying Lizzano, losetto, Fandango and another one called experimental something or other

Depending on how things go with this years crop I may be tempted by one or all of them although Fandango would be most likely as I like medium sized toms and I love the name
DarrenC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2015   #33
maverick451
Tomatovillian™

I recently joined and have just found this thread

I grew crimson crush this year, I ordered 3 plug plants

Mixed review to be honest, Im just a beginner grower but the breeding line doesnt seem stable to me, 2 out of the 3 plants were weak and poor cropper, fruit size and shape of these 2 plants were varied, they also recently developed a few blight spots but havent been hit hard by the disease, 1 of the plants is more vigorous, fruit size all the same and a good cropper and had shown no blight at all.

I have take a side shoot from the good plant and will over winter it.

The two plants in the middle are crimson crush with the one left centre much better plant

Flavour is very good
maverick451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2015   #34
nicollas
Tomatovillian™

It seems that this is "just" another ph2 + ph3 variety ? So now is it homozygous for one or both genes is the question.
nicollas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2015   #35
Linette
Tomatovillian™

The interesting part to me is the mention 'flavour is very good'!
Have you saved seeds from the best plant?

I have grown defiant and plum regal this season The fruits remain very hard and take long to mature, and I find them to be very bland in taste.
Linette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2015   #36
maverick451
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linette View Post
The interesting part to me is the mention 'flavour is very good'!
Have you saved seeds from the best plant?

I have grown defiant and plum regal this season The fruits remain very hard and take long to mature, and I find them to be very bland in taste.
Flavour was really nice, probably the nicest medium sized tomato ive tasted.

I havent saved seeds so far as I suspect its a hybrid but I might do anyway just as a back up incase my sideshoot doesnt overwinter.
maverick451 is offline   Reply With Quote