Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old April 18, 2018   #46
mobiledynamics
Tomatovillian™

I've been grasping at AKMarks concept on doubling up. Just saw the pic in post 26. Insane ! granted he's got it down to a science.

I've always done singles in containers 3-4X what's he's running (15G)
mobiledynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2018   #47
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

I usually "Twin " the small ones ...for various reasons (double) 2 stems instead of 1.

some people have said that they are not as efficient as singletons ....but It seems to me that

twins (doubles ) help each other in the early stages of development ..if there is sufficient soil and root space. Also if it does not look like it is developing going well one can just cull out one stem

later to facilitate full space . (But I more than often never do that for plants of this size).
Old July 12, 2018   #48
IronPete
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmark View Post
Some days they will be watered 3 times, it depends on the weather.

No, compost is not so good in containers, I use Pro Mix HP. We want everything as perfect as possible, from the tomato fertilizer formula, to the exact strength used at each stage of plant growth. Everything has already been calculated for us, we can, and do, send in leaf samples to make sure we are on track too.
Hi AK, I am curious what you mean by 'everything has already been calculated for us'? I assume you mean fertilizer needs? Who is doing the calculating? With soiless mix what kinds of fertilizers do you use? I am not setting up a system like your or anything (except in my dreams, lol!) But do have plants in containers and am still learnimg about fertilizers for that sort of purpose.

Thanks, Pete in PEI

Iron Pete

"We can agree to disagree."
IronPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2018   #49
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronPete View Post
Hi AK, I am curious what you mean by 'everything has already been calculated for us'? I assume you mean fertilizer needs? Who is doing the calculating? With soiless mix what kinds of fertilizers do you use? I am not setting up a system like your or anything (except in my dreams, lol!) But do have plants in containers and am still learnimg about fertilizers for that sort of purpose.

Thanks, Pete in PEI
Pete, I use the Hydro Garden program and fertilizers. Great question, we know what to use (precisely) because the program has evolved from labs testing leaf samples at various stages of the plants growth cycles. The hardest part is letting go of habits, it is very unlikely that anyone is going to reinvent the wheel per say. On another note, one may have to adjust a few element in different areas, and that is where the leaf sample comes in, it is science now. You will find the taste is exceptional, second to none, I do believe the overall plant health plays a role in that.

You do not have to have an automated system, I do a lot of hand watering too. Two tanks plumbed together is sufficient for this kind of a fertilizer program, works great
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote