Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old March 21, 2013   #1
peebee
Tomatovillian™

Default Anyone grow Bababerry aka Baba Raspberry?

Okay, so there is this elusive raspberry that used to be so common here in CA that it was sold in Home Depot up to a few yrs ago. Now no one has it, except for a couple of online growers that have very bad reviews and you have to order more than $50. I called once and the woman who answered practically snarled at me about the $50, only visible after you order and it says you need to order more.
I've looked everywhere, and it seems I will have to cross my fingers and hope this really nice nursery in San Diego will have bare-roots available this winter. They are about 3 hrs drive from where I live.
Can anyone tell me if you have grown it, and is it worth the drive? I'd like to hear from someone in So CA as it is supposedly the best variety we can grow here.

Thanks!
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2013   #2
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

http://www.willisorchards.com/produc...t#.UUuJPxesiSo

Southern Bababerry Raspberry Plant
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2013   #3
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Yep, thats the minimum order of $50.00 company. I actually BOUGHT a Bababerry at Home Depot years ago and I guess I let it die. Like you, I never see them anymore but I have been looking. Where is the Nursery in San Diego Pee Bee?
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2013   #4
peebee
Tomatovillian™

Sun City Linda, its the Walter Anderson Nursery. I know that it was offered in their bare-root offerings, in 2011 and/or 2012. They also had the UC Asparagus, also quite hard to find but supposedly does well here. He responded to my email right away, out of several email inquiries I sent out, and said to check back in May for the raspberry in 1-gal pots but he wasn't sure his supplier would have them in stock.

I will for sure check back this fall though.
Old March 23, 2013   #5
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

Willis Orchards has horrid reviews on GWD
137 positives
17 neutrals
171 negatives

This and the other company that list them also have some of the worst reviews on The GWD.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2013   #6
peebee
Tomatovillian™

Yup you're right about that. I am so glad I looked them up online (reviews) before I ordered. There are some pretty bad stories out there.
I'll just keep waiting for another source to show up, and give up for this spring/summer season.
Old March 25, 2013   #7
Tonio
Tomatovillian™

PB, I have'nt seen baba berries at Walter Anderson's-Point Loma. They only had 1 type-but I don't remember what it was- sorry. Most they carry currently( iwas there 2 weeks ago) is blackberries.

I doubt the stock is different, but you could try calling the Walter Andersons in Poway.

It is getting late bare root fruit/trees, usually jan, feb is peak.

Last edited by Tonio; March 25, 2013 at 10:39 AM.
Tonio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2013   #8
peebee
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for reporting back to me Tonio. Walter emailed me to check back in May for plants. And yes, in the fall for bare-roots.
If you're in the nursery again in May, and remember to ask, I'd really appreciate it. But before I make the 3 hr ride I will call them anyways to make sure they have some.
Again, thanks.
Old March 25, 2013   #9
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

I have a daughter in Poway who I just told to take one of her rose leaves to the Anderson Nursery there to confirm Black Spot, which it clearly looks like to me. I will have her put in the request for Baba Berries there too!
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2013   #10
peebee
Tomatovillian™

Thanks SC Linda! Maybe by just putting the word out that there is interest in this berry, they will be sure to stock it.