Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old September 5, 2019   #16
imp
Tomatovillian™

Spooky, those really pop against the dark leaves! Where will you place them?

So many crepe myrtles around, and all lovely. Mine are at one end of the porch, were planted back in the 1940's per the past owner who planted them, but he no longer recalled the variety name. But, they are pretty even when not blooming, and I do like them.
Old September 5, 2019   #17
shatbox
Tomatovillian™

I love crapes, but don't like being under then when aphids or leafhoppers honey dew.
shatbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5, 2019   #18
Shrinkrap
Tomatovillian™

I have a white one, Acoma I think, that 20 years ago I told my husband was a dwarf, but my husband thinks it' s huge! Maybe 20 feet? Here is the bark, and the tree about 4 years ago, maybe 12 years old.The pictures don't capture it, but on some varieties, the bark peels away and leaves this mottled appearance.I had one pop up about 20 feet away, and bloom this year, but for some reason this one hasn't bloomed such this year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140830_190650.jpg (247.0 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg 20140830_190605.jpg (244.4 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by Shrinkrap; September 6, 2019 at 12:16 AM.
Shrinkrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7, 2019   #19
SeanInVa
Tomatovillian™

Living in the southern (well, upper south) USA, Crepe Myrtles are all over the place. We have several

I planted several here. The first, fifth and ninth are dwarf/shrub Purple Magics. I don't remember the names of the others, but the rest are all full size/tree cultivars

One of the Purple Magics. this picture does it no justice, but the flowers are a bright, vibrant purple

We have two of these

Purple, but will be tree-size. Two of these as well but the other one had not started blooming yet (pics are from a month ago). Not as vibrant as the dwarfs, but you wouldn't know it from the pics

Another horrible picture. The flowers are actually a very rich red. Also two of these

This one we got from the Arbor Day foundation. It was supposed to be a Golden Raintree. Wife accidentally ran it over with the mower when it was very small, which is why it is growing so weird now

And on the side of our property near the woodline we have 10 or so of these we planted right before we got married (on our property) 10 years ago

We never cut ours back to stubs like some people do, we just prune them up some to keep them relatively clean

Last edited by SeanInVa; September 7, 2019 at 03:36 PM.
SeanInVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7, 2019   #20
SeanInVa
Tomatovillian™

A couple pictures I just took that show the color of the Purple Magics a little better

My wife's favorite color is purple, so when I saw these in the store I had to grab them!
SeanInVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7, 2019   #21
imp
Tomatovillian™

That Purple Magic is a stunning color!
Old September 8, 2019   #22
arnorrian
Tomatovillian™

Really nice. I hope dark-leafed varieties get here too.
arnorrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8, 2019   #23
SpookyShoe
Tomatovillian™

Imp, I didn't actually buy any of the potted plants with the dark leaves. I had just never seen them before for sale and I thought they were a very interesting variety. I see Sean in Virginia has two of the dark leaf plants.