Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old April 1, 2019   #1
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Default Tomato Starting Day!

Today was Tomato Starting Day and I also shifted up the peppers, roselle and herbs from their cell packs to 24 oz cottage cheese containers. The shelves are starting to fill up.

The top row has today's seeded tomatoes and peeking up behind them are peppers not ready for larger containers. They were slower to wake up than their friends.

The middle shelf has the shifted up peppers. The bottom shelf has the four roselle plants with basil and three kinds of dill behind them while to the right are the Millionaire eggplant and a summer savory.

Hopefully by the time the tomatoes need shifting up, it will be warm enough out on the porch for both the peppers and tomatoes to give up their shelf space and go outside to harden off. I've still got flowers to start.

Tomorrow I need to bury a few sweet potatoes in a window box to get slips started and the last four broccoli plants need to be planted. Isn't it fun playing in the dirt?
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2019   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Looks fantastic.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2019   #3
PlainJane

We just came through a heavy rainstorm, a day of fog and drizzle, and a 30 degree temperature swing. Tomatoes are grumpy at the moment as they are outside for better or worse. Tomorrow should warm back up.
I can’t imagine how much dirt I’ve swallowed or absorbed through the skin over my lifetime.
My first zinnias are up; waiting on the basil and lettuce.

Your seedlings look happy!
Old April 2, 2019   #4
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainJane View Post
We just came through a heavy rainstorm, a day of fog and drizzle, and a 30 degree temperature swing. Tomatoes are grumpy at the moment as they are outside for better or worse. Tomorrow should warm back up.
Your poor tomatoes were probably just shivering! Yesterday was a bear with a cold wind from the northeast all day. I had bought burger on sale and yesterday grilled a dozen to freeze for later. The wind was blowing right at me so that when I opened the grill all I saw was solid smoke. Couldn't even see the burgers! Had to have a cup of hot tea when I came in.

Today is chilly and rainy. A good day to bake bread and maybe start on taxes.
Old April 2, 2019   #5
wildcat62
Tomatovillian™

Started mine yesterday.
Old April 2, 2019   #6
Koala Doug
Tomatovillian™

Looking good! I hope to see more pictures in the coming days and weeks.
Koala Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2019   #7
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

That's great, GoDawgs! My mother and I planted the tomato seeds yesterday- What a great feeling! My cauliflower seedlings are outgrowing their 4" pots already.
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2019   #8
barbamWY
Tomatovillian™

I started my tomatoes today except for the few my Grandsons started last week. I was visiting and since they love to plant, I took supplies with me. The 300 or so tomato plants I grow for a plant sale I will be starting this weekend for sale on May 11th. My Grandson says it feels good to get his fingers in dirt and "it is so relaxing." I agree.
Barb
barbamWY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2019   #9
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbamWY View Post
My Grandson says it feels good to get his fingers in dirt and "it is so relaxing." I agree.
Barb
Ah! A future gardening fiend! You're starting him off right.