Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old May 2, 2007   #16
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Cookware for Glass-Ceramic Cooktops

We do not recommend glass or ceramic cookware for use on your glass-ceramic cooktop
  • To get the best performance out of your cooktop, we recommend that you use heavy gauge, flat, smooth bottom, metal pans which are not more then 1-inch larger then your cooking area.
To see if your pan will allow even heat distribution, try this test.

- Put an inch of water in the pan.
- Place the pan on the cooktop and turn it on HIGH.
- If the water bubbles evenly around the pan, you can count on good performance.
- If the water bubbles unevenly then that means there are hot spots and poor heat distribution is likely to occur.
Old June 11, 2007   #17
harleysilo
Tomatovillian™

One page out of our ceramic cooktop's manual, we have a GE Monogram electric ceramic cooktop which I installed last summer FYI.

harleysilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2007   #18
Granny
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Note the very last sentence in the right hand column: "Some special cooking procedures require specific cookware such as pressure cookers. . . . . . . All cookware must have flat bottoms that match the size of the surface units."

I am pretty sure that you will find that virtually no pressure canners (not the same thing as a pressure cooker - substantially larger) have flat bottoms the size of the surface unit.

I like the gas ring in the garage idea more and more. Not growing much that requires pressure canning though.
Granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2007   #19
felpec
Tomatovillian™

UPS just delivered my new pressure canner. That thing is a monster! It's much scarier looking in person than that little picture you see when you order it.

I'm definitely doing the "gas ring outside" idea, too. It also says in BIG letters on the outside of the box "Do not use on glass, ceramic or flat top ranges."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0003.jpg (99.5 KB, 141 views)
felpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2008   #20
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I was watching Iron Chef America last night and I noticed Bobby Flay was using an electric pressure cooker on the counter. I see Nesco makes these in different sizes. Has anyone used them for canning?
Old February 25, 2008   #21
kktwahoo
Tomatovillian™

So, which brand has stainless steel, large size, pressure canners available today?

Maybe a German company? We have had such good results with our German engineered and manufactured products, including my dearly beloved car.

"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." From In Defense of Food, by Michael Pollan
kktwahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2009   #22
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default Reply

I am going to get the Presto 23 quart pressure canner. Alot of people with flat tops stoves use it. I was actually supposed to get it as a Christmas gift and then later as a BIrthday gift but the guy my daughter got it from on Ebay ripped her off. We are in a dispute right now. When we get the money credited back to our account by paypal we are going through Amazon. I have never tried to canbefore so this might be an experience for the books. It is quite possible someone here might have to write an eulogy for me
Kat
newatthiskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2009   #23
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default reply

Well after the prices have gone up and down I have finally ordered the pressure canner from Amazon. Will update when it comes in.
Kat
Old March 6, 2009   #24
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by newatthiskat View Post
I am going to get the Presto 23 quart pressure canner. Alot of people with flat tops stoves use it. I was actually supposed to get it as a Christmas gift and then later as a BIrthday gift but the guy my daughter got it from on Ebay ripped her off. We are in a dispute right now. When we get the money credited back to our account by paypal we are going through Amazon. I have never tried to canbefore so this might be an experience for the books. It is quite possible someone here might have to write an eulogy for me
Kat
Mmmm, something with an LOLCAT, "Kat, Kat, poor ol Kat, just hadda get that canner then went splaaat!"
Naaaah, you're gonna love that canner! You are gonna wonder why you held off so long!
stormymater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2009   #25
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default reply

I love that stormymater . Pretty much sums up my life! Now to figure out how to use it with one arm
Kat
Old March 11, 2009   #26
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default reply

I got my Presto 23 quart pressure canner in today and man is it big. I actually have the perfect spot to store it. I better can everything before it becomes a felony. Makes me want to find something so I can use it. But first I need to take the guage by the county extension office to be tested so I don't end up with stormymater giving my eulogy
Kat
Old July 21, 2009   #27
jermen
Tomatovillian™

hello everyone, i have been gone awhile, but i thought i would chime in here....i use my all american pressure canner to jar meat.
i go to sams and buy the chuck butt or maybe it's called the chuck roll....it's a very large cut of meat, it costs about $45, i cut it in big chunks about the size of a pint jar.... i put a
1/4 teaspoon of salt, and a 1/8 teaspoon of pepper, put the lids on and in the pressure canner for 90 min.
one pint jar holds about one pound of meat. first time i did it, i trimmed the fat off,...now i like to leave the fat...gives it great flavor.
i get about 20-22 pints from that large cut of meat.

we use it for the worlds greatest beef sandwiches... heat 1 jar of beef in a pan on the stovetop ..toast some hoggies, put your favorite cheese, and i love horseradish, and caremalized onions....when you put the meat on the toast, be sure to spoon some of the (juice from the meat) au jue over the whole thing, or dip the bread quickly in the juice.
i love my pressure canner!
you can also roast vegetables in the oven and add meat on the side, but once again, don't forget to drizzle the juice over the vegatables when you serve.

jeri
jermen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6, 2009   #28
veggie babe
Tomatovillian™

jerman, do you ever can deer meat or fish? dumb question........but do you put in any liquid or does it cook in its own juices? I would be grateful for any information, we have been reading about canning meat but when someone has actually done the job they often have good advise, short cuts and hints to share.
I've canned for years but only veggies and fruits so we will be starting with a clean slate.

thanks,
neva
veggie babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2011   #29
recruiterg
Tomatovillian™

Default Presto Pressure Canner

Does anyone use a Presto Pressure Canner? I am considering a 16 quart model. Just wondering if I will regret not spending more and buying the All American.

Your comments would be welcome.
recruiterg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2011   #30
Timbotide
Tomatovillian™

I Have a presto canner that is over 30 years old and
It still works great. My Mom handed it down to me last year.
The only thing you will need to do is keep an eye on all of
The various rubber seals and replace them when they wear out.
Timbotide is offline   Reply With Quote