Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for the various methods and structures used for getting an early start on your growing season, extending it for several weeks or even year 'round.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 24, 2014   #1
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Default Scheming on a Temporary Greenhouse

I had a brainstorm hit me that I'm trying to work out. I've been reading here about the fortunate folks who can start their crops early with greenhouses. My problem is I have no decent location to put a permanent greenhouse because my property has two gigantic fruitless mulberry trees (5' diameter trunks). They provide me a ton (literally) of leaves each year but they produce shade every where for significant portions of daylight that only allows for certain shade loving plants and flowers and certainly no veggies. (By the way, that shade probably lowers the temperature in my house 5 or 10 degrees in the summer.)

Now I have a neighbor who has a trashed out backyard but it has wonderful sun exposure. I approached him about using his yard to grow some tomato plants this season and he was enthusiastic. So my greedy, aggressive nature has invoked itself and I am scheming to set up a temporary greenhouse in his backyard.

Here is my scheme. I have a good ole Harbor Freight pop up canopy I use for growers markets ($70) that is 10' x 10'. I am seriously considering using the frame of the canopy as the frame of a greenhouse. I can use some clear plastic for the cover and just duck tape it to the canopy frame. I will probably reinforce the canopy with pvc pipe (my favorite thing next to duck tape). I don't expect to need the greenhouse longer than about 30 or 40 days. I estimate I can put perhaps up to 50 5 gal grow bags with baby tomato plants in the greenhouse to give them a head start so I can have some early tomatoes for market in May.

I am wondering if anybody knows why this is a bad idea. Whaduhyathink?

Thanks,

Charley
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote