Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old July 27, 2013   #61
kath
Tomatovillian™

Ok, I don't think I was clear enough in post #38, but my goal all along was to try to grow Sweetie, the pink beefsteak, not Sweetie, the red cherry, or the tiny Wild Sweetie. Since Glenn wasn't listing it, I put an all call out here last fall/winter sometime in some thread or other and someone responded and offered me seed for it. Maybe I wasn't clear enough in that post either because it looks like I was given seeds for Sweetie, the cherry.

But thank you, Carolyn, because this was a nice lesson for all who may be interested in growing either Sweetie (the red cherry) or Wild Sweetie, the currant-sized. And here's hoping that Glenn offers Sweetie, the pink beefsteak, for 2014.

kath

Last edited by kath; July 27, 2013 at 05:37 PM. Reason: correction about Wild Sweetie
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2013   #62
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kath View Post
Ok, I don't think I was clear enough in post #38, but my goal all along was to try to grow Sweetie, the pink beefsteak, not Sweetie, the red cherry, or the tiny Wild Sweetie. Since Glenn wasn't listing it, I put an all call out here last fall/winter sometime in some thread or other and someone responded and offered me seed for it. Maybe I wasn't clear enough in that post either because it looks like I was given seeds for Sweetie, the cherry.

But thank you, Carolyn, because this was a nice lesson for all who may be interested in growing either Sweetie (the red cherry) or Wild Sweetie, the currant. And here's hoping that Glenn offers Sweetie, the pink beefsteak, for 2014.

kath
Kath, I would say Wild Sweetie is red and currant sized, but not a true currant b'c Amy had a professional tomato personlook at the plants and fruits and said it was not a true currant.

When Glenn called me last week and told me how many plants he had out I asked him if he was going to be able to get seeds for the many varieties that were unavailable in the 2013 catalog, and he said he hope so.

He was also complaining how dry it had been and how much watering needed to be done, and I said, well,you did want to buy that land on the sand hill, and hejust started laughing.
Carolyn
Old July 27, 2013   #63
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Kath, I would say Wild Sweetie is red and currant sized, but not a true currant b'c Amy had a professional tomato personlook at the plants and fruits and said it was not a true currant.

When Glenn called me last week and told me how many plants he had out I asked him if he was going to be able to get seeds for the many varieties that were unavailable in the 2013 catalog, and he said he hope so.

He was also complaining how dry it had been and how much watering needed to be done, and I said, well,you did want to buy that land on the sand hill, and hejust started laughing.
Carolyn
Thanks for catching my error while I'm still able to edit, Carolyn.

I certainly hope for Glenn's sake that his crops get the rain they need and has a good season. Don't know how he manages to do all that he does.

kath
Old July 27, 2013   #64
Gavriil
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Amazon Chocolate, "Chocolate Beefsteak", JD's Special C-Tex...how many others won't now make the cut? It's too early to tell but I'm very sure that I'm finished trying "just one more year" or "just one more seed source" to see if these can overcome their bad habits. Hugh's Black has set a new bar and as wonderful as these can be when you get a good fruit, it's just not worth it to me when the majority of them look like the ugly ones below...sniff.
Hey Kath you could enter those in that ugliest tomato poll, thread

Nice pic's and juicy tomato's all around though.
Gavriil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2013   #65
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavriil View Post
Hey Kath you could enter those in that ugliest tomato poll, thread

Nice pic's and juicy tomato's all around though.
Thanks- I've picked off almost all the ugly ones unless they're bagged fruits but there are loads of great looking tomatoes out there that will keep us & everyone we know in tomatoes if the plants remain healthy.

kath
Old July 28, 2013   #66
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

Well, so far I've picked a whopping 3 cherries! One Black Cherry and two Gold Nuggets, which is new for me. Still waiting for my 2013 crop to produce!
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2013   #67
kath
Tomatovillian™

Default Sunpeach F1

This one is just as Johnny's advertises- pretty, deep pink, shiny, profilic and delicious.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2727.jpg (456.3 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2726.jpg (543.9 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2780.jpg (467.6 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2782.jpg (240.1 KB, 90 views)
Old July 28, 2013   #68
kath
Tomatovillian™

Default Irish Pink

This is a tall but sparsely leaved plant that had problems with BER and bad catfacing. There are several fruits that will provide usable tomato that have been left on the vine and we got to taste the first today. It has a pleasant sweet taste but nothing outstanding about this one for us.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2791.jpg (295.6 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2793.jpg (396.9 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2789.jpg (330.6 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2790.jpg (362.5 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2803.jpg (276.8 KB, 75 views)
Old July 28, 2013   #69
kath
Tomatovillian™

Default Indian Stripe Potato Leaf

Seeds from this one are from Carolyn's seed offer. By far, we've eaten more of these than any of the other larger tomatoes because it set like crazy and ripened earlier and in more abundance than the previous early workhorse, Amazon Chocolate PL. So far it seems it'll be a keeper because both DH & I consistently rated it #1 or #2 in all the taste tests we've done so far. Fruits picked to this point have weighed from 5-17.5 oz. It has set fruit through the heat wave, unlike many of the other plants. Both plants that I grew out are the same height, 6'+ and the leaves are still in pretty good shape.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2813.jpg (403.2 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2429.jpg (490.3 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2778.jpg (395.4 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2806.jpg (278.6 KB, 101 views)
Old July 28, 2013   #70
kath
Tomatovillian™

Default GaryO' Sena

This very large plant has HUGE potato leaves which are still looking pretty good. There are fruits all the way up to the top but there were lots with bad cat-facing and a bit of internal BER. First two fruits were just over and just under 1 pound and had a good taste but it's come in behind JD's and Indian Stripe PL so far. Too bad JD's puts out so few nice fruits for me because when it does, I'm in love. (see first pic below)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JD's.jpg (340.4 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg gs.jpg (464.0 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg gs blush.jpg (281.1 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg gsstem.jpg (374.8 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg gsblossom.jpg (361.4 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg gscut.jpg (394.7 KB, 91 views)
Old July 28, 2013   #71
kath
Tomatovillian™

Default Malakhitovaya Shkatulka (Malachite Box)

This was a disappointment for me because of MANY cat-faced fruits and a funky after-taste on the first fruit tonight which I'm hoping won't be there with the next ones since this one was a bit "leaky". Weights of first two tomatoes is 16 and 11 oz.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2795.jpg (365.3 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2796.jpg (333.5 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2770.jpg (385.5 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2800.jpg (350.2 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2802.jpg (395.5 KB, 69 views)
Old July 29, 2013   #72
Alfredo
Tomatovillian™

Great pics kath...That Indian Stripe Potato Leaf Tomato looks quite good. Love how the fruit on those look with the ribbing and variegated coloration.

~Alfredo
Alfredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2013   #73
z_willus_d
Tomatovillian™

Kath, how did Heshpole and Work Release Paste, two of the stand-outs from last year, do for you this season? I grew both. I really enjoyed the growth pattern of Heshpole, but it went down to whatever disease I have in the garden faster than some. Still, it put out a good 10-12 lb of nice large hearts, similar in taste to Wes but more pink.

The work release paste lost several tomatoes to BER. It was probably among the worst in my garden in susceptibility to whatever I have (Verticillium, Fusarium, some other toxin... TBD?). I thought the few tomatoes I got from it, all decent 10ou sized, were very tasty with decent shelf life. It didn't seem to set fruit as easily as Wes and Heshpole.

Out of the three, Wes was the winner for production and disease resistance (though not immune itself) and possibly taste as well. Heshpole probably had the best shelf-life, followed by WRP. I think WRP tasted an edge better than Heshpole. All three are very low on liquid gel and seeds. They seem to make great sun dried tomato slices.

Thanks for these posts.
-naysen
z_willus_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2013   #74
BucksCountyGirl
Tomatovillian™

Hey Kath, everything is looking beautiful! How would you say that Sunpeach compares in flavor to Sungold? Your description as me intrigued...

Life's a climb...but the view is fantastic
BucksCountyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2013   #75
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Thanks- I've picked off almost all the ugly ones unless they're bagged fruits but there are loads of great looking tomatoes out there that will keep us & everyone we know in tomatoes if the plants remain healthy.

kath
Dear Kath, I am with you. It does not matter to me neither how ugly the tomato fruits are, or if they have an OFFICIAL pedigree, as long as they taste great. I love what is inside, not the outside.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote