Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old February 12, 2013   #1
augiedog55
Tomatovillian™

Default Basement temp.

I'm thinking about growing my tomato seedlings in my laundry room in the basement. There is no heat register in the room . I went down this morning with a thermometer and it 58 degrees. Is that to cold for growing my tomato seedlings.. I'll be starting my seeds in a month ,it may warm up a bit in a month when its not so cold outside.
augiedog55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2013   #2
matilda'skid
Tomatovillian™

I have a cool basement too. I start the seeds upstairs in the kitchen on top of the refrigerator; they don't take up much room at that stage. After they sprout they go to the basement under lights. 58 degrees will be OK for the seedlings.
matilda'skid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2013   #3
augiedog55
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for your response. I'll be starting my seedlings up stair in the computer room on a heat mat before moving them down stairs to put under lights. Sorry I didn't make myself clearer.
Miltaskid , I see you are from Mo too. When will you start planting your seeds for your plant out in early may?
augiedog55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2013   #4
matilda'skid
Tomatovillian™

I will put some out early sometime in April using walls of water. I have too many plants anyway not worried about losing some. When I put them out depends on the weather forecast. I have some empty stock tanks that I put the biggest ones in for a while before I risk in the ground with no cover. The stock tanks can be partially covered with a big storm window I have or plastic. I have to watch that on sunny days and put more cover on for cold days. If there is a threat of very cold weather I drag the whole mess back inside. I don't really have a plan and I always plant too early. Last year I potted several up in gallon or larger pots before I found a place for them.
Old February 12, 2013   #5
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Your lights will make a little bit of heat.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2013   #6
matilda'skid
Tomatovillian™

Sorry, I didn't read carefully. I have already started seeds; a few are up just this week.

Also do a search on cold treatment of tomatoes Ami posted about it.