Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old June 13, 2012   #1
augiedog55
Tomatovillian™

Default Saving purple haze seeds

This is probably a dumb question but I'll ask any way. I have a purple haze plant thats doing well.I know that the purple haze is a cross. Can I save the seeds to replant next year ? Thanks a newbie
augiedog55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2012   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedog55 View Post
This is probably a dumb question but I'll ask any way. I have a purple haze plant thats doing well.I know that the purple haze is a cross. Can I save the seeds to replant next year ? Thanks a newbie
Purple Haze is a hybrid that was bred by the same person who bred the OP varieties Liz Birt and others.

He sent seeds to Laurel in CA and part of the money she sent to an autism site since his child has autism, and it was request to do so. I think that Darrel of selected seeds also recieved F1 seeds from him and those are the only two places I know that hybrid plants of Purple Haze are possibly still available at the right time of the year.

Sure you can save seeds but since it's a hybrid what you get won't be the same as Purple Haze F1 and especially since the initial cross and selections from it was a complicated progress.

There are others who are also making selections from the saved F2 seeds and if you go to the search feature here and enter Purple Haze you'll probably be able to see what they're getting, that is if you're interested.
Old June 13, 2012   #3
augiedog55
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Carolyn for your response. I got my plant from Darrel at selected plants. The plant is going crazy right now and I was hoping to duplicate the results from saving the seeds. I guess I'll just have to buy another plant next yr. Ps. I also got a plant called dr. carolyn pink...lol
augiedog55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2012   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedog55 View Post
Thanks Carolyn for your response. I got my plant from Darrel at selected plants. The plant is going crazy right now and I was hoping to duplicate the results from saving the seeds. I guess I'll just have to buy another plant next yr. Ps. I also got a plant called dr. carolyn pink...lol
As for continued offerings of Purple Haze F1, when all the F1 seeds are gone it would mean that the original breeder would have to go through the long process of trying to duplicate what he did originally to get to Purple Haze F1 again. And somehow I doubt that he's going to do that, but I could be wrong.

Which is why so many folks are working with saved F2, F3 seeds to try and develop an OP that has some of the traits of the original F1.

Yes, I know that Darrel does like Dr. Carolyn Pink. It was a mutation from the original Dr. Carolyn ( ivory colored) that was sent to me by an SSE member quite a few years ago. And Dr. Carolyn itself appeared in my garden from saved seeds of Galina, a gold cherry with wonderful taste and it was Steve Draper to whom I send seeds of it that named it Dr. Carolyn, not me.
Old June 14, 2012   #5
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Just a quick note that Keith is continuing to produce Purple Haze seed. It is still an iffy business though, he has more failures than successes with the cross.

DarJones
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2012   #6
janezee
Tomatovillian™

Can you take a cutting and keep it going until the next fruiting season for you? I might be trying that with a few late-season plants this year, since they might not get to ripen this year.

j
janezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2012   #7
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Good idea Janezee, Maybe I'll buy one next year. In my climate, I should be able to keep cuttings alive thru "Winter" without much difficulty. Have to get it from Lauren, I dont think Darrell ships to CA.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2012   #8
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun City Linda View Post
Good idea Janezee, Maybe I'll buy one next year. In my climate, I should be able to keep cuttings alive thru "Winter" without much difficulty. Have to get it from Lauren, I dont think Darrell ships to CA.

That's Laurel, not Lauren, Garza whom I know very well. I was the lead Moderator at a tomato site where she was a participant and she says that I was the one who inspired her to get into the business of selling plants.

I just checked her website and she says she has Purple Haze and its relative Foxy Lady back for 2012 but I have no idea if she still has plants for either one at this point in time.Hopefully next eyar maybe.

I left that message site after several political fights which I can't stand, never to go back again.

I do wish that Laurel didn't charge as much for her plants as she does, but when asked about it at GW a couple of years ago where several folks were complaining about shipments, subs, etc., she said that she had several Mexican folks who were doing most of the growing of her seedlings and had to pay them, which was apparently her justification for charging more than others who also ship plants do.

No comment here from me on that justification.
Old September 23, 2012   #9
Laurel
Tomatovillian™

Default Purple Haze, Foxy Lady, Mexican folks...

Carolyn My Dear,

How you goin' Old Gal? Hope you are well. Here I am, setting the record straight. Again.

A few years ago you tried to get me to lower my prices, etc., and I explained that this is a busy, going concern where I employ people; I never said "Mexican folks" -- although I am of Mexican heritage. VIVA!

My employees are of all ages and nationalities, one's even from New York! Some are part time college students, some are young people with families, a few are retired folks. One is my daughter so I guess she's, like, half-Mexican. All are legal residents.
They are not growers, they do not do 'most of the growing' not do they start seeds. I do that. My employees do transplanting, water the plants, feed them, spray them, package them for shipping and keep the place clean and organized, as do I. We have a high overhead: soil, pots, shipping supplies, tons of water, mucho electricity for the greenhouses, and grow strictly organically using top quality soil, fertilizers, etc. It is very expensive to grow organically and use only top quality materials. This ain't no downstream company.
Also, 2 day shipping, cross country, is very costly.
I pay my workers very well, far higher than minimum wage. We run 7 days a week during spring. During April and May they work occasional 12 hour days and get overtime pay and bonuses. They have kids and households to support, taxes to pay and so do I. As you are not a business owner, I don't expect you to gleen or suggest a justification for my prices but do appreciate your interest in commerce.

My prices are realistic; my 4,000 customers who love our plants keep us very busy year after year. I call that success -- for which I have worked my a** off...although it did grow back.

Yes, Purple Haze is a fundraiser for autism research, not just in honor of Keith's son. My beautiful grandson is autistic as are so many delightful young people.

Hasta Luego,

Laurel Garza
Laurel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2012   #10
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurel View Post
Carolyn My Dear,

How you goin' Old Gal? Hope you are well. Here I am, setting the record straight. Again.

A few years ago you tried to get me to lower my prices, etc., and I explained that this is a busy, going concern where I employ people; I never said "Mexican folks" -- although I am of Mexican heritage. VIVA!

My employees are of all ages and nationalities, one's even from New York! Some are part time college students, some are young people with families, a few are retired folks. One is my daughter so I guess she's, like, half-Mexican. All are legal residents.
They are not growers, they do not do 'most of the growing' not do they start seeds. I do that. My employees do transplanting, water the plants, feed them, spray them, package them for shipping and keep the place clean and organized, as do I. We have a high overhead: soil, pots, shipping supplies, tons of water, mucho electricity for the greenhouses, and grow strictly organically using top quality soil, fertilizers, etc. It is very expensive to grow organically and use only top quality materials. This ain't no downstream company.
Also, 2 day shipping, cross country, is very costly.
I pay my workers very well, far higher than minimum wage. We run 7 days a week during spring. During April and May they work occasional 12 hour days and get overtime pay and bonuses. They have kids and households to support, taxes to pay and so do I. As you are not a business owner, I don't expect you to gleen or suggest a justification for my prices but do appreciate your interest in commerce.

My prices are realistic; my 4,000 customers who love our plants keep us very busy year after year. I call that success -- for which I have worked my a** off...although it did grow back.

Yes, Purple Haze is a fundraiser for autism research, not just in honor of Keith's son. My beautiful grandson is autistic as are so many delightful young people.

Hasta Luego,

Laurel Garza
Laurel, which part of the record are you setting straight?

I posted above the following:

(I do wish that Laurel didn't charge as much for her plants as she does, but when asked about it at GW a couple of years ago where several folks were complaining about shipments, subs, etc., she said that she had several Mexican folks who were doing most of the growing of her seedlings and had to pay them, which was apparently her justification for charging more than others who also ship plants do.)

You said above the following:

(A few years ago you tried to get me to lower my prices, etc., and I explained that this is a busy, going concern where I employ people; I never said "Mexican folks" -- although I am of Mexican heritage. VIVA!)

I said I WISH that and I didn't TRY to get you to lower your prices and you answered here the same way that you did in that long thread at GW where folks were complaining about it , etc., as you might recall.

And in your GW post you did say your workers were Mexican or I wouldn't have repeated it here. That was many years ago and at that time you didn't mention ANY of the types of persons who now help you as you noted above.

It was I who added the folks to Mexican workers since when referring to even those here at Tville I also use the word folks a lot, so don't read anything into that at all.

No, I don't have a business and no, I'm not interested in commerce per se, but there have been comments about your prices at several sites as compared to other sites where plants are sold and shipped.

I'm not the one complaining about your prices for myself since I've never ordered plants from anywhere. But until recently I did read and sometimes post at several message sites, but no more. I've even received some e-mails from Maryanne D from time to time who added me to some kind of list from Tomatomania without asking me if I wanted to be added, which I didn't.

If all is going well for you and your business that's really all that matters as far as I and others are concerned. I only go to your site when someone asks me to check out something.

The wife of the man who used to mow my lawn and he also have an austistic son named David and David was here many times so I do know about the challenges and difficulty of raising an autistic child.

I'm well, thanks for asking, with a few bumps due to medical concerns, but most of my brain cells work, my mouth for sure, and all of my fingers work just fine, to date.
Old September 25, 2012   #11
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Just a note that I have about 150 Purple Haze F1 seed left. I have no idea if Laurel has any.

Keith tried to produce some this year but heat prevented him from getting any takes.

I will have to limit the number of plants per customer for 2013.

DarJones
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26, 2012   #12
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

I wish everyone I bought things from had lower prices. But every business should set the prices that make them successful. No one knows their market better than the business. Laurel, congrats on your successful business, and thank you for creating jobs.

There are two items that I never regret spending money on:

1) Books
2) Seeds

The extra 10 cents per seed does not nearly touch the enormous pleasure I get from that seed.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26, 2012   #13
Pants
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurel View Post
Purple Haze is a fundraiser for autism research
I don't mean to pile on because I think Laurel is great and I have spent many hours on her website reading her wonderful descriptions of the tomato varieties she carries but unfortunately the group she has chosen to donate money to is pretty unsavory. Talk About Curing Autism is the group infamous for spreading the myth that vaccines cause autism. The result has been a resurgence in many diseases that had been eliminated and the deaths of thousands of people. Talk About Curing Autism might provide great support for families but they do not do research and they have caused great harm and suffering.
Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26, 2012   #14
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pants View Post
I don't mean to pile on because I think Laurel is great and I have spent many hours on her website reading her wonderful descriptions of the tomato varieties she carries but unfortunately the group she has chosen to donate money to is pretty unsavory. Talk About Curing Autism is the group infamous for spreading the myth that vaccines cause autism. The result has been a resurgence in many diseases that had been eliminated and the deaths of thousands of people. Talk About Curing Autism might provide great support for families but they do not do research and they have caused great harm and suffering.
I think Laurel probably chose that organization on the advice of Keith who was furnishing the F1 Purple haze seeds and whose son is autistic.

Vaccines associated with autism was not always known as a myth and Keith himself didn't think it was a myth either.

But further research has shown that there are many reasons for autism, and no one syndrome either.

So if it were me I wouldn't fault Laurel for selecting that organization by herself b'c I think it was probably Keith who suggested it to her. And all of this quite a few years ago when Keith first furnished the Purple Haze F1 seeds to her.
Old January 17, 2013   #15
Laurel
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottinAtlanta View Post
I wish everyone I bought things from had lower prices. But every business should set the prices that make them successful. No one knows their market better than the business. Laurel, congrats on your successful business, and thank you for creating jobs.

There are two items that I never regret spending money on:

1) Books
2) Seeds

The extra 10 cents per seed does not nearly touch the enormous pleasure I get from that seed.
Thank you, Scott.

Laurel
Laurel is offline   Reply With Quote