Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 2, 2017   #316
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

it sure is beautiful!
Old July 2, 2017   #317
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Hudson. I will try that for sure!

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2017   #318
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

The color of the juice is as beatiful as the fruit.. Impressive.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2017   #319
Hudson_WY
Tomatovillian™

Another harvest of Brandy Boy! My neighbor calls them pumpkins when he walks in the house and sees them all lined up on the trays. There are many large ones. I get lazy and am not as diligent in vibrating the blossoms as the season progresses - I can see the result when harvesting! The vibrated blossom produce much larger fruit!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8kJFKf6PSEacvbeHcVWuJw_thumb_6d0b.jpg (239.2 KB, 136 views)
Hudson_WY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2017   #320
Hudson_WY
Tomatovillian™

More Brandy Boys! The fruit size is awesome! Did we mention how great they taste!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IHtohQt+QQm5j0XTo+2Vjg_thumb_6d2e.jpg (265.7 KB, 109 views)
Old July 6, 2017   #321
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

Wow. You are rolling. Nice harvest and steady supply. Amazing. The juice looks great too.
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2017   #322
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Those look amazing! How many plants do you have? And what is the average size of those?
Also, it's not clear how you store those jars of juice, since they're not boiled.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2017   #323
Hudson_WY
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipcode View Post
Those look amazing! How many plants do you have? And what is the average size of those?
Also, it's not clear how you store those jars of juice, since they're not boiled.
Thanks for the comments! Someone else asked me that question so I went out to the GH to count for sure - we have 12 Brandy Boy plants that are producing strong right now. The larger fruit in the photo (which there are many) weigh 14-22 oz. Brandy Boy produces a lot of around 16 oz fruit for us.

The photo of the Tomato Juice was just before my wife put on the lids and processed them with the water bath canning method. She said the acidic level of the Brandy Boys is high enough that they do not have to be canned in a pressure cooker. She is a long time food processing professional (from experience) and we have never gotten sick on anything she processes for long term storage so I totally trust her judgement! But - be sure to can your tomato juice the way you feel it is safe for your family!!

Last edited by Hudson_WY; July 6, 2017 at 12:41 PM.
Old July 7, 2017   #324
Hudson_WY
Tomatovillian™

My wife pulls the Tupperware out of the freezer that was partially filled several days ago. She adds more ripe tomatoes until she has two full frozen bowls of cut-up ripe tomatoes that have been frozen for several days. Then she places the two frozen bowls of tomatoes on the counter to thaw. You can see the almost clear liquid around the inside perimeter of the bowl that releases from the tomatoes as they thaw. She removes two cups of the watery liquid (there is more) from each bowl before bringing them to a boil and running them through her juicer. Then she fills the bottles and processes them with the water bath method for storage. Freezing the tomatoes is convenient to collect the tomatoes as they ripen. Removing the liquid makes the juice a little thicker and concentrates the wonderful tomato taste!! I hope this gives clarity to those of you that had questions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0JFodc9kTkyFyJQSTrYKgw_thumb_6d14.jpg (198.9 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg yRPCeOwXRri4vW45sORipA_thumb_6d41.jpg (207.2 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg HxfktGDkSwq%osBV9P0RKg_thumb_6d43.jpg (214.3 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg xrqkFGLmQFmkv8DGisNSjQ_thumb_6d3e.jpg (226.0 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6d44.jpg (241.7 KB, 76 views)
Old July 7, 2017   #325
pecker88
Tomatovillian™

The taste of BB's is amazing, had the first one ever last night on a BLT. I think I found the go-to variety that works for me.

outdoor BB's

First harvest was 5 July, transplanted 5 May. They got pretty cracked and beat up by 2 different hailstorms. I've been aggressively pruning them, but bacterial leaf spot is setting in. Classic black spots with yellow hallow around it, even on the fruit.

The 7 plants will produce atleast 30 more 16oz + sized toms before the virus kills them, so no worries. Maybe burpee's seed that I ordered was infected with this virus?

greenhouse BB's
First harvest was 22 June, transplanted mid April. Only 1 plant in a walmart fabric shopping bag. Toms are perfectly shaped, no cracking. No bacterial leaf spot at all. No hail, no cracking, no bacterial leaf spot....must be the dif. between climate controlled greenhouse vs. outside in the elements.

Pic here: http://tomatoville.com/showpost.php?...&postcount=267

greenhouse 4th of July and Early Girl, 4oz size
I have 6 total plants of these varieties, first harvest was 1 June, transplanted 15 March. I'm about ready to pull them out of the greenhouse. They're 10+ ft tall and product LOADS of small 4oz fruit. The taste is OK, but I hate how the seeds are still green'ish when cutting them. And, they're a pain to can with, who wants to blanch/peel/core 40 or more small tomatoes.

I really just wanted to see how early I could get toms, so I planted these 2 short season varieties. Sure is easy to give away toms in early June though...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170706_173852_resized.jpg (302.7 KB, 77 views)
pecker88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2017   #326
Hudson_WY
Tomatovillian™

Your Brandy Boys look great - Pecker88! Tomatoes grown in a GH always have a better appearance than those grown in a garden!

We had out-of-town family over today that really wanted to taste our Brandy Boy tomatoes. We fried up some bacon, baked some home made bread and fixed BLT's. They had plenty to say without asking for a response - "The best tomatoes I have ever tasted" was the most common response!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6d63.jpg (262.5 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6d5d.jpg (276.8 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6d62.jpg (314.9 KB, 69 views)
Old July 7, 2017   #327
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Glorious BLT stuff! Does your wife add anything like salt to the tomato juice for the canning?
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2017   #328
Hudson_WY
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsacharley View Post
Glorious BLT stuff! Does your wife add anything like salt to the tomato juice for the canning?
Hi Salsacharley - the canning book says to add 1 teaspoon of salt per quart of juice but we don't like that much salt so my wife adds a little more than a 1/2 teaspoon of salt per quart. Some like a little sugar but we prefer the strong tomato taste so she does not add any sugar.
Old July 7, 2017   #329
mjc
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson_WY View Post
Hi Salsacharley - the canning book says to add 1 teaspoon of salt per quart of juice but we don't like that much salt so my wife adds a little more than a 1/2 teaspoon of salt per quart. Some like a little sugar but we prefer the strong tomato taste so she does not add any sugar.
Salt is not needed for preservation purposes...it's just for flavor, so it's fully adjustable.
mjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2017   #330
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecker88 View Post
The taste of BB's is amazing, had the first one ever last night on a BLT. I think I found the go-to variety that works for me.

outdoor BB's

First harvest was 5 July, transplanted 5 May. They got pretty cracked and beat up by 2 different hailstorms. I've been aggressively pruning them, but bacterial leaf spot is setting in. Classic black spots with yellow hallow around it, even on the fruit.

The 7 plants will produce atleast 30 more 16oz + sized toms before the virus kills them, so no worries. Maybe burpee's seed that I ordered was infected with this virus?

greenhouse BB's
First harvest was 22 June, transplanted mid April. Only 1 plant in a walmart fabric shopping bag. Toms are perfectly shaped, no cracking. No bacterial leaf spot at all. No hail, no cracking, no bacterial leaf spot....must be the dif. between climate controlled greenhouse vs. outside in the elements. and my phone is broke so I can't take any pictures. otherwise I would post one.
this is interesting... our outside tomatoes look rather nasty compared to any other year at this point. little black spots on the veins of the stems and on the petioles and they just look like they are struggling. I am afraid they won't produce much. the inside tomatoes look fantastic. My husband visited with a neighbor about a mile up the road and they have a farm market that supports 9 families... that is a lot of produce... 10 acres worth... they said their outside tomatoes look bad, too. even they aren't sure what is going on. we have all sprayed with a fungicide before there was even a hint of an issue. and my phone is broke otherwise I would post a picture.

Last edited by clkeiper; July 8, 2017 at 05:38 AM.
clkeiper is offline   Reply With Quote