Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Old April 13, 2015   #16
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

I start "some" beans early, usually about 50 plants of very early varieties, white seeded varieties, and the tastiest (to me) varieties. The rest can wait.

I start bush types about 3 weeks before transplant, pole types about 2 1/2 weeks early.

I use 16 to 20 ounce plastic drink cups, a couple of small slits at the bottom near the edge, filled with garden soil to about 3/4 " from the top. Germination (about 5-7 days) is indoors, unless it is warmer outside during the day. 25 cups can fit into a no-spill???!!! wire rack. So, it's two trips a day ( I really should not say trips), outside, then in, for the night.

Since indoor germination can be a week earlier than with outdoor germination, and outdoor may mean having to plant again (loosing another week or two), I can gain 3 to 4, or more, weeks.

Gary
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2015   #17
tnkrer
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for all the responses
Planning to start the seeds (8 of each for actually planting 4 of each) in 2nd week of May to plant out at end of May or early June.
I have limited space, so I cannot produce enough by planting more. So I have to try and extend the season if possible
tnkrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2015   #18
drew51
Tomatovillian™

With pole beans I space about 6 inches apart, but plant 3 inches then thin. I grow mine off of parachute cord strung on a wire held by conduit poles. Beans seem super easy to germinate. I have no desire to start early. Getting a crop a couple weeks early doesn't matter to me, I'm so busy with other crops, and by June harvesting starts and doesn't end till November. I actually do not like germinating indoors, messy, dirt everywhere, spilled water etc. No thanks. I've been germinating seeds indoors since February, I'm done with it!
I used 3/4 inch conduit, but they really didn't hold, so I'm replacing with 1/2 inch and cementing poles in. I have 600 pound of cement left over from a chimney job, the company just left the cement! OK, I found a use for some anyway!
Here it is, as you can see, the poles were not really strong enough. 1/2 inch should work well.

Last edited by drew51; April 13, 2015 at 07:32 PM.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2015   #19
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

This is my first bean experience too. I have a whopping grab bag from Tormato and I bought a packet of bush soybeans to try. My grow area will be a 4X8 raised bed with new topsoil and sand. How would I arrange rows or rephrasing - how do I make use of the center? Should the rows be the shorter or longer dimension. The bed is 18 inches high.Add a 6 foot pole bean, that will be a stretch.

-Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2015   #20
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
This is my first bean experience too. I have a whopping grab bag from Tormato and I bought a packet of bush soybeans to try. My grow area will be a 4X8 raised bed with new topsoil and sand. How would I arrange rows or rephrasing - how do I make use of the center? Should the rows be the shorter or longer dimension. The bed is 18 inches high.Add a 6 foot pole bean, that will be a stretch.-Lisa
At the community garden, someone grew pole beans at the edge of her plot, with a 6-8 ft. bamboo pole for each one to climb. The poles were angled toward the path, so they took up almost no space in the garden. I haven't done that because I don't like poles sticking into the path.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2015   #21
tnkrer
Tomatovillian™

I plan to drop a twine from top for each bean plant and then use the tomato clips to hold the bean plant to the string. That works great for tomatoes. Hoping that it will work for beans too.
Old April 14, 2015   #22
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnkrer View Post
I plan to drop a twine from top for each bean plant and then use the tomato clips to hold the bean plant to the string. That works great for tomatoes. Hoping that it will work for beans too.
All the beans in my above photo are on parachute cord, no poles except on the ends. So yes they grab them well.
Old April 15, 2015   #23
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
No need for clips to hold the vine to the twine, for the vines will "twine" around the twine. Bean vines are very tacky at their growth tips, and will cling to the twine easily. Sometimes the vine needs a little help getting started in its attachment to the twine. All vines will circle the twine in the same direction (counterclockwise when looking downward), so don't try to make them circle in the other direction.
Old April 15, 2015   #24
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Attempting to answer my own question, one row of pole beans in a 4 X 8 raised bed, and the rest bush? I'll be using a trellis akin to a cattle panel.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2015   #25
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

As Gary says, you don't need clips to hold them to the twine. What I'm wondering is are you planning to attach the twine to something at the bottom? I'm not sure if a bean will twine itself up the twine or simply push the twine up as it grows if it's not attached. Gary???
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2015   #26
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
I use 16 to 20 ounce plastic drink cups, a couple of small slits at the bottom near the edge, filled with garden soil to about 3/4 " from the top. Germination (about 5-7 days) is indoors, unless it is warmer outside during the day. 25 cups can fit into a no-spill???!!! wire rack. So, it's two trips a day ( I really should not say trips), outside, then in, for the night.
Gary
One bean per cup?
dfollett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2015   #27
tnkrer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
As Gary says, you don't need clips to hold them to the twine. What I'm wondering is are you planning to attach the twine to something at the bottom? I'm not sure if a bean will twine itself up the twine or simply push the twine up as it grows if it's not attached. Gary???
I was planning to tie the twine to the stem at the bottom.

Also do beans start suckers like tomato? or cukes? or is it one stalk per seed?
Old April 15, 2015   #28
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I was planning to tie the twine to the stem at the bottom.

Also do beans start suckers like tomato? or cukes? or is it one stalk per seed?
Yes they branch, some of mine right now are around 5 1/2 feet tall and putting out branches and blooms at the lower sections.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2015   #29
drew51
Tomatovillian™

I use garden staples to hold twine down, well cord in my case. I like to re-use them so I use cord that does not degrade very fast.
I'm trying some new pole beans this year
SWISS LANDFRAUEN
Some from Italy
Meraviglia di Venezia
Stortino di Trento
Trionfo Violetto

Last edited by drew51; April 16, 2015 at 09:51 AM.
Old April 16, 2015   #30
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfollett View Post
One bean per cup?
One bean per cup if I'm low on seed.

Otherwise, it's 2 or 3 with fresh seed, 3 with older seed or seed of unknown age. I then clip out the weakest vines fairly soon leaving just the strongest one.