Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Historical background information for varieties handed down from bygone days.

Old July 31, 2012   #31
gardenhappy
Tomatovillian™

Default seeds

I love the currents all colors just for the size for Adults and children.We pack them up to go on park hikes and camping trips.In our community garden classes we teach on healthy cooking and eating and use these as well as others for snack ideas.I love to toss them in salads and the kids make Celery logs with cream cheese and then put the littlest ones they can find down the middle and eat them.

If anyone has yellow or pink I'd love to get those. All mine so far are red and yes I would love more reds,we grow" sweet pea",just plain old name "current" and I use to have" spoon" but when i spent most of last year in the hospital I lost a ton of my plants and Am starting all over again.
Look over at the wanted for my list to trade or Florida Tag Thread is another list of my to trade.
gardenhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2012   #32
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenhappy View Post
I love the currents all colors just for the size for Adults and children.We pack them up to go on park hikes and camping trips.In our community garden classes we teach on healthy cooking and eating and use these as well as others for snack ideas.I love to toss them in salads and the kids make Celery logs with cream cheese and then put the littlest ones they can find down the middle and eat them.

If anyone has yellow or pink I'd love to get those. All mine so far are red and yes I would love more reds,we grow" sweet pea",just plain old name "current" and I use to have" spoon" but when i spent most of last year in the hospital I lost a ton of my plants and Am starting all over again.
Look over at the wanted for my list to trade or Florida Tag Thread is another list of my to trade.
It would be best to post in the WANTED Forum of the Seed Exchange what you're looking for since more folks would see it there and that's where wants go anyway.

And yes, there are white and yellow currants, see the link below and I received seeds, acutally smushed up fruits, for a pink one and if you do a search here I think you'll find discussions about it. I offered seeds for it in my last seed offer in JAn and had to limit it to four folks and so far those who have reported back have checked the epidermis and it is pink. Tim Peters used to have a pink, but no more.

My seeds for it were from someone in FL who bought a plant just labelled Everglades, not Wild Everglades, which is red.

Folks are supposed to be sending seeds back to me so I can offer it in my next seed offer here and no one sharing it until I can contact Ted in FL and asking him to name it, which is only right.

Here's a list of currant varieties from Tania's data base and lots of red ones as well, and quite a few I've grown in past years but no longer have current seed for those currants ( just couldn't help doing that, LOL).

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...rrant_Tomatoes

Hope that helps and at the above list just click on a variety to see pictures and seed sources, if there are any for either or both.

I am still wary of growing true currants near my other varieties but it's now known that only about half of them have an exerted stigma which requires insect pollination, thus a possible problem for cross pollination of other varieties, but someone Iknow says that's he's more worried about his regular non-currants X pollinating his currants. I still would grow any currant ones far from other non-currants, but perhaps that's just me being too careful since seed saved would not be just for my own use.
Old July 31, 2012   #33
gardenhappy
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Carolyn,
yes,it's on my wanted list in the wanted section to. I grow mine in a kitchen garden about 125 foot and on the other side of our property from my regular gardens is that far enough?
In the community garden tho,they would be much closer.We would be o.k. if we are bagging blossoms ,right?
Not being a tomato breeder i had not even thought about that.Thanks for the information.
gardenhappy is offline   Reply With Quote