Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 18, 2011   #226
Winemaker1942
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn you're one SPECIAL person, not many would offer to be bothered like that..
I too was being humourous, I've had a copy of your book since 2008..It was got me started in only growing Heirlooms .. I've since tried to grow out 100+ varities each year just to see what they're like and to share seed.. Thanks for all you do..
Winemaker1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2011   #227
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Today I was at another site where someone had started a thread about the book going out of print and I really couldn't stop laughing b'c this person says I got the last book at X and someone else says well, they've still got them Y and back and forth.

And then one person said that one place was asking $200 for a copy of the book but didn't say if that included shipping.

So maybe I'll hold on to my four new copies and see how many takers I get at $200 each and start planning what I'll do with that extra almost $1000.
Old April 18, 2011   #228
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Wait a while longer haha, you never know how high they might go.

Actually, on a serious note - a photographer I know sold a book of local Michigan photos, probably for around $45 (it was a lovely large photo book). Now, it's been out of print a year or two, and copies are going for $500. Well that's how much last year, you never know this year.

You probably have quite a 'cult' following - copies of the book, especially new ones, could get quite a value after a while. Especially if autographed I bet.
tam91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2011   #229
kevinrs
Tomatovillian™

I was going to buy it, tried last month, but I guess I waited too long, my order never shipped, when I finally contacted the site, hey said it was unavailable because it's out of print. Now it's looking like anywhere with a reasonable price is showing either unavailable, or temporarily unavailable but you can order it. I don't think I trust them getting more stock in when it's out everywhere, and no one knows that the publisher is reprinting it or releasing more stock or anything.

If there were 2 printings, all sold now, and they still claim not to have made any money to give you royalties... sounds like the kind of thing I've read some authors talk about, with the accounting practices of some publishers being set up so no one gets anything, because everything is "a loss."
Though in this case, if the photography was expensive, I guess I can see some reason, though if in 2 printings they still haven't made enough to cover costs, when did they plan to break even? 10th printing or something?
kevinrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2011   #230
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinrs View Post
I was going to buy it, tried last month, but I guess I waited too long, my order never shipped, when I finally contacted the site, hey said it was unavailable because it's out of print. Now it's looking like anywhere with a reasonable price is showing either unavailable, or temporarily unavailable but you can order it. I don't think I trust them getting more stock in when it's out everywhere, and no one knows that the publisher is reprinting it or releasing more stock or anything.

If there were 2 printings, all sold now, and they still claim not to have made any money to give you royalties... sounds like the kind of thing I've read some authors talk about, with the accounting practices of some publishers being set up so no one gets anything, because everything is "a loss."
Though in this case, if the photography was expensive, I guess I can see some reason, though if in 2 printings they still haven't made enough to cover costs, when did they plan to break even? 10th printing or something?
If memory serves me right me thinks Carolyn did this project free of charge out of the goodness of her heart.
For us and the love of tomatoes.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2011   #231
kevinrs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
If memory serves me right me thinks Carolyn did this project free of charge out of the goodness of her heart.
For us and the love of tomatoes.

Worth
The publisher likely didn't do it out of the goodness of their hearts, but to make money at some point though.
Old April 21, 2011   #232
Defiant20
Tomatovillian™

I have never raised tomatoes before and found Carolyn's replies very helpful in this and other forums in my effort to educate myself. I ordered the book here: http://sustainableseedco.com/100-Hei...an-Garden.html for $16.95 plus shipping. They are out of stock now but may have more in the future. Thanks again Carolyn for taking the time to help so many people out, I look forward to getting to read your book.
Defiant20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2011   #233
kevinrs
Tomatovillian™

From what I can tell, most sites are out, if you contact one you may eventually get a reply that they cannot get it as it's out of print, they contacted their supplier or the publisher and they are out.
It looks like unless the publisher decides to run another printing, or finds a supply of the books and releases it, what the few sellers have is it.
Old April 21, 2011   #234
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I know Baker Creek and SESE are out but I can't say that for Sandhill nor for Tomato Growers, nor for the other places that might have it, such as the drop down list found at Amazon at the page that has my book.

And the prices being asked at some places I find more than amusing. Someone set up a thread about my book at another message site and it's very long indeed with reports back and forth about possible places to get the book. And then someone said they thought it would be worth more if autographed, so I guess that might happen with some as well, although I specified the conditions under which I'd do that.

Just noting also that I was asked to write the book, I didn't do it for money so it doesn't bother me that I got no royalties b'c I did receive what's called an advance which was not returnable and I had it spent ASAP after I was sent the check back in 1999. It was supposed to be applied towards book sales but with the book being out of print, the last statement I got from Workman a couple of weeks ago showed that about 22K was still owed against book sales, so that's it.
Old April 21, 2011   #235
tam91
Tomatovillian™

I'd think it'd be a bit forward to ask you to autograph books for resale.
Old April 21, 2011   #236
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tam91 View Post
I have no idea if they want a book autographed for resale, rather, it came as a shock to quite a few folks that it went out of print and there are those who have had the book for quite a while as well as some I guess who are getting it new who want an autograph.

At the other site I also said, in a playful way that if anyone sold an autographed book for $200 or more that I get half of that.
Old April 21, 2011   #237
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tam91 View Post
I think if you were to ask and get lets say 300 a book and sent the author 60% it might be possible.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2011   #238
Hondo_Lane
Tomatovillian™

I'm sad to see that the book is out of print and that the prices have skyrocketed!

I had a copy of this for several years that I really enjoyed... however I gave it away just today.

My wife and I went to Thienemans in Louisville for their annual tomato plant sale and picked up 44 tomato plants and most all of them were heirloom or op plants. (we also got to visit with Tomato Gary [Millwood] for a few minutes which was fantastic!)

A friend of ours mother is 84 years old and still gets out and gardens and likes to grow tomatoes. So we picked up a few extra plants for her. RC's Mortgage Lifter, Omar's Lebanese and Cherokee Purple hoping to give her some more variety. Since these three are included in Carolyn's book I thought it would be a nice gesture to give her my copy so she could read about these and enjoy the pictures while reading about all the other varieties as well.

Excellent book and I'll miss it, however I will poke around a bit and find a replacement! It's a must have!
Hondo_Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2011   #239
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

My book that I ordered last week from SS arrived yestarday. Very happy to have it! Linda
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2011   #240
kevinrs
Tomatovillian™

I emailed sand hill and they still had it a few days ago, I figure they will be slower to sell out, with no online ordering, and the book not coming up there with anything like a google shopping search, and no ISBN on the site to index on etc.