Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 18, 2020   #1
NM_Dirt_Digger
Tomatovillian™

Default An Heirloom need

I am in Las Cruces NM, Climate is hot and dry.
I am looking for an heirloom tomato that would produce here. The other consideration, perhaps the most important one, is my ground is sandy and has RKNs. I would prefer a yellow variety. My main problem though is I need a RKN resistant one.
Anyone have a suggestion. Porters Pride produce well until the nematodes take them.
NM_Dirt_Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2020   #2
NM_Dirt_Digger
Tomatovillian™

50 views and not one suggestion?
How about a red or pink then?
Old April 19, 2020   #3
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Don't give up yet, many of the views so far may be from growers in the northern half of the country, that can't give personal advice to growing in your hot and dry conditions. I'm sure some will be along eventually that have, some may only check in here a few times a week.

I do know that quite a few in the south with RKN problems have gone to growing in self-watering containers or large pots raised above the ground. Would that be an option for you?

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2020   #4
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

Hi NM Dirt Digger,
I don't know of any heirloom tomatoes that have RKN resistance, but there are several hybrids that have some level of resistance to RKN (root knot nematodes). The level of RKN resistance in Mi-gene-bearing tomatoes can vary from good to intermediate. Sanibel, Daytona, and Mariana have good resistance, while Skyway 687, Southern Ripes, SV 7631TD, and Felicity provide intermediate resistance.
https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/in1250

Dutch

The intuitive mind is a gift, and the rational mind is a faithful servant. But we have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. (paraphrased) Albert Einstein

I come from a long line of sod busters, spanning back several centuries.

Last edited by Dutch; April 19, 2020 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Grammar
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2020   #5
NM_Dirt_Digger
Tomatovillian™

I have 5 planter boxes in use now. Just looking for something to put in place where I have some extra room. Next year I may put in a few more boxes. This year, well not by being shut down. I will grow a cover crop of winter rye in the late fall to help with RKN. Just hoping to try something this year.
Old April 19, 2020   #6
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

I was going to comment about using Earthboxes, but I thought that someone from the south could help you better.

If you are looking for good-tasting compact varieties to grow in your planter boxes, I would suggest Bulgarian Triumph which has red saladettes. Maglia Rosa is another very tasty one which has 2" long pink bullet-shaped tomatoes, and Blush is very similar with yellow bi-colour tomatoes. The last two are available from Artisan Seeds.

I would say that Bulgarian Triumph would do best in a 5 gallon sized pot, whereas Maglia Rosa and Blush would be fine in 3-gallon containers.

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2020   #7
bhalford
Tomatovillian™

Have you thought about purchasing grafted heirlooms ? They have produced well for me in nematode infested raised beds, I have since transitioned to earth boxes. Online grafted tomatoes might be sold out this year quick though - because everybody's at home...
bhalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2020   #8
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Manyel is fairly reliable. It is not that good against RKN but produces fairly quickly and makes a crop before it dies.

Heidi is arguably one of the best choices if you are looking for a paste type tomato.

Red Mortgage Lifter is a large fruited variety that has done well in nematode infested soil in this area.

Tropic, Burgundy Traveler, and Creole are possibles though none of them are super high on the flavor totem pole.

As others have posted, the mi gene is only moderately effective because it is disabled at very high temperatures. After soil temps hit 90 degrees, it is almost useless.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2020   #9
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

I'm in the midwest, and without RKN, but I have a couple of thoughts. I remember an article in Organic Gardening in the 70's from a person in NM, and he buried a plastic trash bag filled with "good" soil. Would a heavy bag stop RKN? If so, you'd have a lot of choices. Second idea -- use an (inexpensive) grow bag sitting on a barrier to the RKN. Third, have you investigated the resistant varieties from Hawaii? I think it is the University of Hawaii that has conducted extensive research into RKN. Not nearly as hot, but they might have some thoughts. Good luck!

Last edited by Greatgardens; April 20, 2020 at 09:03 AM.
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2020   #10
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Smaller plants in five gallon plastic grow bags can work really well, though they will need constant watering as they will dry out much more quickly in hot weather. If you can manage the watering needs and go with grow bags, check out the Dwarf Project varieties as I know there are a fair amount of yellow ones.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2020   #11
b54red
Tomatovillian™

My soil has always been infested heavily with nematodes and the sandier it is the worse the RKN problems will be so building up the soil with some organic matter will help some but it will not stop them. Mulching heavily also delays the nematodes somewhat. Grafted plants is how I have mostly solved the problem but even they will eventually sometimes end up with some nematode damage but their tolerance is a big help most of the time.

Before I started grafting I had two problems with both fusarium wilt and nematodes. I frequently lost a lot of my plants to one or both. I did find that some varieties resisted the RKN better than others. Of the yellows I used to grow both KBX and Dr. Wyches were the best and sometimes lived the whole season. I found Neves Azorean Red to be more resistant than most others but also had some luck with Arkansas Traveler, Stump of the World, 1884, Brandywine Cowlick's, Indian Stripe and Spudakee. If you can get some Big Beefs they are decent tasting hybrids that have some tolerance to RKN and they do well in the heat also.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2020   #12
NM_Dirt_Digger
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the recommendations. I have been thinking of trying Heidi. I grow most of my tomatoes in boxes. But, my cucumbers have been taking up some room lately. Nematodes are so bad here I can't grow figs either. Going to plant winter rye this year to hopefully have some control over them.
Old April 24, 2020   #13
Harry Cabluck
Tomatovillian™

Elbon Rye is worth considering as a cover crop.
Harry Cabluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2020   #14
kr222
Tomatovillian™

Marigolds are supposed to be effective in acting as a trap crop. Once they start eating the roots to the marigolds, the natural nematicides kill the nematode and prevent it from breeding. Over time the population of nematodes decreases. I figure interplanting may be something to consider as well. Stick with a dwarf variety so your tomatoes still get good air circulation.
kr222 is offline   Reply With Quote