Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old April 5, 2019   #1
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Default C. baccatum does not need Isolation?

I started two plants of Aji Crystal, and have one survivor of Lemon Drop. Both are are medium high on the scoville scale and are of the species baccatum.

I was very surprised to read that this species can be safely grown among sweet peppers with no danger of cross pollination. Good news to me, as I would like to save seeds of sweet peppers without unwanted heat.

Verification that I am understanding correctly please, and suggestions on other peppers that can be grown in the same bed without cross pollinating.

- Lisa

greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2019   #2
Ann123
Tomatovillian™

I thought they CAN cross with other varieties but the seeds crossed with other capsica will give sterile plants. Plants that will grow but not produce peppers. That is only what I read and remember but experts here can give you more scientific info :-)
Ann123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2019   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Here this will explain.

http://www.thechileman.org/guide_crossing_peppers.php
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2019   #4
Zeedman
Tomatovillian™

Aji Cristal does not appear to be very prone to crossing outside of its own species. I've saved & regrown seed for 4 generations so far, with no other isolation from open-pollinated C. annuum varieties other than distances of less than 100'. There have been no apparent crosses in Aji Cristal.

I can't say whether there might have been crosses going the other way, since I've never saved seed from the open-pollinated C. annuum patch. The one time I did (for an interesting cross which appeared there) the next generation was a genetic stew of all the OP varieties grown that year. In my area, any C. annuum varieties will cross freely unless fully isolated.
Zeedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2019   #5
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

Zeedman thank you for that information! I have seen some of the pictures you have posted here at Tomatoville and I am under the impression that you probably run a fairly large operation. How many Aji Crista do you grow annually?l
Dutch

The intuitive mind is a gift, and the rational mind is a faithful servant. But we have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. (paraphrased) Albert Einstein

I come from a long line of sod busters, spanning back several centuries.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2019   #6
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

OP, I think you are thinking of pubescens, not baccatum. Even then, one should isolate, to avoid making sterile seeds.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2019   #7
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipcode View Post
OP, I think you are thinking of pubescens, not baccatum. Even then, one should isolate, to avoid making sterile seeds.

I am learning, may be misunderstanding my source. Till now, I have not had a serious desire to save pure seeds, outside of the mmmm swap. This past summer I met a local grower that supplies one tomato and two pepper varieties for a large seed seller and learned the criteria that must be followed. No sewing tulle bags, just isolation distance, and quantity restrictions.

I searched google on the variety Aji Crystal, and the second seed seller hit, axxxx.seeds provided the information in question. I certainly have a great deal to learn about the nuances of peppers. I'm not a huge fan of hots, so my pepper knowledge is very basic. Outside of jalapenos, I only started two interesting baccatum peppers and op sweets with the intention of saving seeds to share here. I appreciate all the info shared. Never knew of sterile seeds. Lots to study ahead and choose for next year.

Hope to continue hearing more examples.

- Lisa

Last edited by greenthumbomaha; April 9, 2019 at 12:24 AM.
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote