Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 30, 2019   #16
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Such sad awful news. My heart goes out to you. I would be so downtrodden if it happened to me. Get a fan on the survivors pronto.
I'll put some more Midnight sun in the Monday mail. It's a different batch.

I used MG seed starting potting mix this year and had way more than usual fail. I re-sowed in PromixBX, and they took off. No more seed starting potting mixes for me.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2019   #17
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

To ~Bee and Marsha, thanks so much. Like Marsha, I will never trust MG again. Once is too many times. By this time tomorrow, I will have a handle on the total impact. I know that I have lost a dozen or more varieties because I used either the last or the only seeds I had. I will post a list of the ones I would like to regain. I spent most of the early part of today just scrubbing trays and cells with bleach and mild soap. The few seedlings that survived have only a 50% chance of making it to the main garden. It's like the stem was "choked" to a thread of what was trying to be a root. I guess the acidity was hugely overpowering.

What really blows me away is how fast it went from "all is okay" to "we are dead or dying". I calculate it was no more than 9 hours. This is my third year with the heat mat, so I don't think it was much of a factor in beginning the plunge. I've read a few incidents this year that has mostly involved MG. Perhaps the "roundup" issues are draining their capital and they have loaded up some mix that wasn't quite ready for primetime.

I've had no indication of any problem with the Jiffy products so far. It's good that I caught the problem as quick as I did. My diligence has greatly limited the impact. DW has made me get the stinking MG out of her house.

Thanks to all for your genuine concerns. I'm trying to let everyone know that I've had the problem I have encountered so that folks may learn from my misfortune. Until proven differently, I will not use MG potting products again. My gut feeling is that the mix was not fully composted. I'll never forget my first impression this morning of "SEWAGE".

Well, right now I'm tired and ready for some down time. I wish each and every one of you the best gardens you've ever had. I'll get by just fine. I always do.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2019   #18
Scooty
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
Sorry that happened. I personally abandoned all MG products a few years back because of problems with fungus gnats, rotting, etc.

If it's Fungal gnats - add a bit of the granular mosquito bit stuff to whatever soil mix or water supply. It's what most hydroponic setups use to take care of that problem. Actually, I'd even recommend adding to potting/seed mix for anyone starting seeds indoors. BTI kills a lot more than just mosquito larvae.
Scooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2019   #19
PlainJane

So sorry! How frustrating.
Here’s hoping everything goes swimmingly from here out.
Old March 30, 2019   #20
biscuitridge
Tomatovillian™

If you need a replacement for the 5.63 just let me know. I had really bad issues with black gold potting soil,seeds germinated fine but just sat there without growing for a month, so now I make my own. So disheartening to have happened.
biscuitridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2019   #21
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

I had a bad experience with a MG product (not the starting mix) several years ago, smelled like waste petroleum, not to mention tons of sticks. I don't buy MG products anymore period. As with the other poster above, I use ProMix BX.
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2019   #22
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

Ted I am so sorry this happened to you. After you take inventory please post any seeds you need. Lots of people out here to help with seeds if you decide you need them!
hl2601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2019   #23
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

More condolences on that tragedy! All that work and care.

A good while ago I used to use MG for seeding, the regular potting mix (not the seed starting mix), but quit when it started changing. More sticks and bark or something in the mix. Occasionally an off odor. Changed back to MetroMix once I found it again.

Hang in there, Ted!
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2019   #24
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsacharley View Post
Very strange for Jiffy mix to stink, especially so soon! Sorry you are dealing with this.
Hey, thank you, SalsaCharley. But, it wasn't Jiffy. See the pictures in my next post.

It was Miracle Grow Seed Starting "KILLER" mix.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Old March 31, 2019   #25
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Ugh, disaster. Condolences.
Seed starting can be the most stressful of the entire season even if all goes well.

I've gone completely over to 1010 trays and coir bricks. I have to start early and over a
4-6 week time frame. Spread out the chore and start back-ups. (watching pepper seeds
sprout and grow is like coaching a turtle running a marathon).

I've had one tray each of the past two years go funk stink or just turn rock solid. Both
times I had run out of coir. Both times sent a family member to get an inside stored bag
of any seed starting mix and ended up with some BS recommended by garden area
worker. I even backed it in the oven. Rocks and looks like I started growing polyester
fiber filling.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tomato fails.jpg (392.6 KB, 172 views)
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2019   #26
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Okay, I was up early and finished the damage assessment. Here's the list of what's gone forever and I'm now seedless to do anything about it.

1884 Purple
Ashleigh
Aurora
Chapman
Cherokee Chocolate
Dwarf Metallica
Ed's Millenium
Ferris Wheel
Heatherington Pink
Hege German Pink
Margaret Curtain
Morado Chocolate
Olewar's Big Pink
Portugese Monster
President Garfield
Tekins Bulgarian Pink
Valena Pink

Some of these may be very hard to find now. If you have enough of any of these to be able to share a few, I would appreciate it. Let me know how you want to do it. I can send a SASE, or do a trade, or whatever. Let me know what you may be looking for. Check out my listings at HeritageSeedMarket. If you find something among those, let me know and I'll send you some from here at my home.

I do want to thank everyone for their genuine concerns and words of encouragement, empathy, and sympathy. I hope this tragic kind of thing avoids your efforts forever. It ain't no fun, and that's for sure.

In the pictures below, the first one shows the few I initially saved on the left and the Jiffy comparison tray, which was planted two days after the MG trays, on the right. The second one shows the replanting efforts so far. Note the last of the MG cells in the near left of the tray on the left. I'll get those babies out and be done with MG today.

DSCF0062.JPG

DSCF0063.JPG
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Old March 31, 2019   #27
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitridge View Post
If you need a replacement for the 5.63 just let me know. I had really bad issues with black gold potting soil,seeds germinated fine but just sat there without growing for a month, so now I make my own. So disheartening to have happened.
Each year, I have a very long list of varieties that I call my base list. After I get them in, I use larger plastic containers (at least 1 gallon size) and plant what I call my "Fun" list. So, I had not put that variety in just yet. Those seeds are still safe. They will go in during the replanting effort.

Thanks, Dan, for your concerns and your friendship. Let me know if you need something that I might have.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Old March 31, 2019   #28
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

I have seeds for Chapman if you want them. I'm growing 1984 purple this year but don't have any more seeds.

Let me know if you want Chapman seeds and I'll send it out tomorrow.
Old March 31, 2019   #29
oakley
Tomatovillian™

I have dMetallica. I can put them in the mail tomorrow. pm me address.
Probably have your address...send it just in case.
It performs on the early side so plenty of time for you.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2019   #30
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Oh my! Sorry for the "mix" up. I have some Margaret Curtain about 4yrs old, and Cherokee Chocolate. I'll send them your way if you wish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainerTed View Post
Hey, thank you, SalsaCharley. But, it wasn't Jiffy. See the pictures in my next post.

It was Miracle Grow Seed Starting "KILLER" mix.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote