Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 8, 2016   #31
garyjr
Tomatovillian™

Ron, everything is looking good. Curious though, you have a similar climate/ last frost day as I do. How do you manage to set out so early, how do you protect from frost? Also, you mentioned keeping them in a cold garage. How cold and do you still attribute this to strong early growth and fruit set/ripening? Thanks

Gary
Old June 8, 2016   #32
dipchip2000
Tomatovillian™

Gary

all my plants spend 4 or 5 weeks in a garage from about 45 to 60 degrees This is referred to a the Cold Treatment. Very little growing is evident during this time but they do become quite stocky. I set them out whenever frost seems unlikely. Sometimes I miss and have to set out more after frost gets them. My frost date is April 15th and I set out this year April 16th. It worked fine. I really believe the Cold Treatment helps produce huge numbers of fruits.

ron
dipchip2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2016   #33
Jonnyhat
Tomatovillian™

Hi Ron,

I am trying your CC in my raised bed and in a container here in Zone 6B in SEPA cant wait, the plants are up to my belly button
Jonnyhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2016   #34
Jonnyhat
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipchip2000 View Post
Gary

all my plants spend 4 or 5 weeks in a garage from about 45 to 60 degrees This is referred to a the Cold Treatment. Very little growing is evident during this time but they do become quite stocky. I set them out whenever frost seems unlikely. Sometimes I miss and have to set out more after frost gets them. My frost date is April 15th and I set out this year April 16th. It worked fine. I really believe the Cold Treatment helps produce huge numbers of fruits.

ron
Curious, what kind of lighting in the garage?
Jonnyhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2016   #35
dipchip2000
Tomatovillian™

I use two 4bulb old t12 fixtures with 4 2700k and 4 6500k daylight bulbs from Lowes. Bulbs are about 20.00 per box of 12 bulbs.

ron
dipchip2000 is offline   Reply With Quote