Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old November 24, 2009   #1
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

Default 2010 Seed Savers Exchange catalog!

Found it in my mailbox today... now I have to add more varieties my 2010 grow list.

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24, 2009   #2
jungseed
Tomatovillian™

I still don't have mine (whine, whine) WI-sunflower has hers and she is not far from me.
jungseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24, 2009   #3
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Got mine this week.
Old November 24, 2009   #4
travis
Tomatovillian™

Got it over a week ago. Think I only noticed one or two new tomatoes. Good selection of squash and pumpkins.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24, 2009   #5
pooklette
Tomatovillian™

I got mine almost a week ago. I love catalog season!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungseed
I still don't have mine (whine, whine) WI-sunflower has hers and she is not far from me.
I still don't have my TT catalog yet, and I'm only about an hour and a half down the road from them...
pooklette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3, 2009   #6
Lavendulafleur
Tomatovillian™

I have only received the Fall edition of SSE.

No sign of the 2010 catalog.

Some of us are the the lucky ones!

Last edited by Lavendulafleur; December 3, 2009 at 01:34 PM. Reason: additional comments
Lavendulafleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2009   #7
Epicurus
Tomatovillian™

Default How does SSE work?

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum etc and have been thinking about joining SSE. Info says you have access to member to member exchange but doesn't clarify how that works. What are fees like? Is it just SASE or must you have seeds to exchange for others? It works well for you folks? Do they have Dubrava? (I know is this 20 questions or something? )
Epicurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2009   #8
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Epicurus, check out the site and it should answer most of your questions. Ami

http://www.seedsavers.org/
Old December 31, 2009   #9
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epicurus View Post
Hi guys, I'm new to this forum etc and have been thinking about joining SSE. Info says you have access to member to member exchange but doesn't clarify how that works. What are fees like? Is it just SASE or must you have seeds to exchange for others? It works well for you folks? Do they have Dubrava? (I know is this 20 questions or something? )
Do read what's at the seedsavers website that Ami gave you a link to. It's not really an exchange, as in trading seeds. SSE members who are listed members list their varieties and there are about 4,000 listings. The other category of SSE members is non-listed members who don't list in the Yearbook.

All SSE members can request seeds from the listings of listed members and the seeds are not free, there's cost involved, and that cost is different depending on trhe kind of seed, tomato, vs bean, etc, and cost is different for listed vs non-listed members requesting from listed members listings.

Hmmmmm, what a paragraph above, but I'm trying to explain, I really am.

SSE also has a Public Catalog/website, accessed at the link Ami gave you and anyone can order seeds from the Public catalog meaning you don't have to be an SSE member. There are about 40 tomato varieties in the public catalog as opposed to about 4,000 in the Yearbook.

The Yearbook is best not seen as a seed catalog. The mission of SSE is preservation of OP varieties and that's what it's all about.

So do come back and ask questions if you still have them after reading at the link Ami gave you.
Old January 3, 2010   #10
pooklette
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epicurus View Post
What are fees like? Is it just SASE or must you have seeds to exchange for others? It works well for you folks?
There's the $35 annual membership fee, which I'm sure you already know about. As for other fees:

Each January SSE mails out the annual Yearbook. It's a HUGE book listing all the seeds members are offering to 'share' with other members. You do not send seed in exchange, but you do have to send them $$ to help offset the cost of packaging, postage, etc.

The amount of $$ you send depends on what seeds you're asking for. For example, if you're a US member, a packet of 25 tomato seeds will cost $2-3 and a packet of 25 bean seeds will cost $3-4. International members pay about $2 more due to the increased cost of shipping overseas.

I think the whole process is pretty simple. Lets say you get your Yearbook in February and see I have offered some tomato seeds you'd like to try. There's a seed request form at the back of the Yearbook which you would fill out and mail to me. The request form tells you how much $$ to enclose and tells me what you want and where to mail it. When I get your form, I have 30 days to mail your seeds. That's it. It's pretty straight-forward.

To answer a few additional questions:
  • No, I've never had anyone fail to send my seeds.
  • Twice, I've had seeds take more than 30 days to get to me. Both fellows were mortified my seeds didn't arrive sooner and actually refunded my money. (Which was very nice and not necessary, IMO.) In my experience, this 'late arrival' is rare.
  • To my knowledge, I've never received crossed seeds.
Does that help?
pooklette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2010   #11
Epicurus
Tomatovillian™

Yes, you anticipated questions I hadn't even thought of yet. Thanks!
Epicurus is offline   Reply With Quote