Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old July 21, 2013   #31
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyruhl View Post
I grew Indian Stripe Potato Leaf from Carolyns seed offer, also. It was an amazing plant for me also, and I took pictures of the stem which was about the size of 3 pencils banded together. I keep saying was because I pulled it yesterday. That whole enormous plant just wilted before my eyes and the stems became hollow. This has not affected any other tomatoes in my garden, including it's "earth box" partner. I have never had another plant do that, so I am confused. I saved seed, but don't now if I should have.

The bowl of tomatoes was pick from the plant when I pulled it. There were ripe ones earlier, also. That is an excellent harvest, considering it is mid July in Michigan.
How very curious, Nancy- I haven't ever heard of what you describe. Yes, it really pumps them out, doesn't it?! Sorry that you lost your plant and if anyone has concerns about your keeping those seeds, I've got some bagged fruits so if they ripen, we're good. The fruits I have look similar to the ones in your picture. Can't wait to taste one- I have two that are ripening on the counter.

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2013   #32
Tania
Tomatovillian™

I am so happy to see this thread - thank you Kath for doing this again this year!

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2013   #33
kath
Tomatovillian™

I'm happy that you're happy, Tania, and I'm really enjoying your picture thread, too. Who doesn't like looking at tomato pics, right?

Actually cut up 2 ugly tomatoes for dinner tonight- the first Gary'O Sena and Amazon Chocolate PL fruits, so it's a tie here for the first ripe beefsteaks of the season. Sadly I didn't have the heart to take a picture of the poor things. The parts that I was able to salvage between the rot, internal BER and huge core were really tasty, though, and we can't wait for the next ones to ripen fully. It seems that any of the current possibilities will be more photo-worthy...stay tuned.
Old July 21, 2013   #34
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

Can't wait to see more! I really enjoyed your thread last year. Yeah, we're getting into the part of the year when it's cut up tomatoes most nights for dinner! I still don't have quite enough of a haul to make salsa. Soon, I hope!

I've got two Ananas Noir on the counter, can't wait to try them. BLTs tomorrow... I couldn't do it today 'cause the darned bacon was in the freezer!
RobinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2013   #35
BucksCountyGirl
Tomatovillian™

Hey Kath, awesome thread. I love to see how new varieties are working out in our area! Looking forward to more updates :-)

Life's a climb...but the view is fantastic
BucksCountyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2013   #36
salix
Tomatovillian™

Kath, so glad to see you doing this thread. I KNEW I wasn't the only one referring to last year's thread on multiple occasions! You are about a full month ahead of us, and we are looking forward to trying some of "your" varieties.

... and don't worry about the housework - trust me, it won't go away.
Old July 25, 2013   #37
kath
Tomatovillian™

Default Black Cherry

I'm hoping to find a dark cherry that's Sungold-size and I grew seeds for Black Cherry that were given to me by 2 fine Tomatovillians because they produce smaller-than-normal Black Cherry fruits for them in their gardens. Well, in mine they each grew fruits that are larger than the fruits of the Black Cherry plants that I grew before but maybe that's because I was more ruthless with my pruning this year.

The vigorous plants are identical and the fruits of one are slightly smaller than the other- 0.8-1.0 oz. vs. 0.9-1.2 oz. Fruit set for both has been heavy all season and neither plant has any sign of disease. It's easy to see why so many love this cherry.

Pictures include Sungold F1 for size comparison.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2510.jpg (403.4 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2512.jpg (395.9 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2544.jpg (320.5 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2601.jpg (236.9 KB, 96 views)
Old July 25, 2013   #38
kath
Tomatovillian™

Default Sweetie? (NOT the beefsteak)

I wanted to try the beefsteak, Sweetie, and it wasn't available through Sandhill this year. A fellow Tomatovillian shared seeds for it but early on, it seemed I had a cherry and not a beefsteak plant. It grew what I guess are Sweetie, the cherry, fruits but I can't be sure.

The smallish plant had strange leaf issues in the early part of the season but I kept picking them off and spraying and it seems to have outgrown whatever the problem was. The trusses on this thing are REALLY LONG and the lowest one had to be placed on wooden boards to keep the fruits off the ground. It's a crunchy sort of red fruit that is just about Sungold-size at 0.3-0.4 oz. but isn't as productive as some of the other reds I tried this season.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2463.jpg (624.7 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2466.jpg (461.7 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2569.jpg (559.0 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2617.jpg (251.2 KB, 73 views)
Old July 25, 2013   #39
kath
Tomatovillian™

Default Starfire Isis Cherry

Even though I expected that this tomato was going to be a bit bigger than I prefer, the beauty of its picture lured me in. The semi-rugous leaved plant had some minor leaf issues that I posted about earlier, which I now think might have been a reaction to my spraying program because I've seen it on a few other plants since and it doesn't seem to spread.

It's quite a large plant and was topped at 7' mid-July. I haven't been able to get fruits as dark as the photos I've seen but that is also true of the darks as well for me- the second picture is as dark as I've gotten. The biggest problem is that there has been a lot of splitting while the shoulders are still pretty green yet as seen in the 3rd and 4th pic. Not preferred to Sungold by DH, neighbor Suze or me- ymmv.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2489.jpg (300.2 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2607.jpg (484.7 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2585.jpg (431.4 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2586.jpg (488.3 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2608.jpg (215.7 KB, 81 views)
Old July 25, 2013   #40
kath
Tomatovillian™

Default Jasper F1

So far in my search to find the perfect red cherry to complement Sungold in a pint of one-bite mixed cherries, this is the one to beat. As a huge bonus, the plant is supposed to be resistant to Late Blight, however Early Blight has taken out a bunch of lower leaves. The plant was topped at 7' in mid-July but I'm allowing side shoots to travel sideways on the trellis. The fruits ripen evenly, are the same size as Sungold F1, have a bit of a crunchy texture and have a nice sweet tomato taste. DH loves it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2521.jpg (382.4 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2565.jpg (539.7 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2614.jpg (251.0 KB, 73 views)
Old July 25, 2013   #41
kath
Tomatovillian™

Default Resi

This red cherry from Clara is a robust plant with dark healthy leaves with the exception of a bit of EB and a stout stem. Fruit set has been light and the tomatoes are slightly ribbed and larger than Sungold as can be seen in the photos below. The truss on the left in the first picture belongs to Jasper F1.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2622.jpg (493.3 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2602.jpg (496.7 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2604.jpg (228.8 KB, 72 views)
Old July 25, 2013   #42
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Kath. lots of cherries plants. I am guessing you were growing them for the kids.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2013   #43
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
Kath. lots of cherries plants. I am guessing you were growing them for the kids.
No, the kids are only here for a little over a week each summer and will only eat Sungolds. I keep hoping I'll find other Sungold-sized fruits that we love to eat in a rainbow of pretty colors to make a mixed basket of sweet treats to eat and share. But the tomato obsession is the real reason why.

kath
Old July 25, 2013   #44
kath
Tomatovillian™

Default Hugh's Black

I've been anxiously awaiting the tasting of the first fruit from this fine plant as it's one of the few that have set fruit all the way up the plant in this year's weird weather. It also has foliage that has a bit of curling down low but it's in very good shape comparatively speaking and it's an easy plant to stake- tall and robust but not sprouting all over. The abundant fruits are pretty, smooth, round and not cat-faced- an AMAZING feat in my garden. Well, the fruit did not disappoint, and even DH loves it! The taste is great, the skin is thin and we can't wait for the next one to ripen. This is the black to beat. Thanks, ed50 for the seeds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2558.jpg (483.0 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg 8.2 oz..jpg (455.6 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2714.jpg (354.5 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2736.jpg (236.6 KB, 114 views)
Old July 25, 2013   #45
kath
Tomatovillian™

Default Goodbye, old blacks...

Amazon Chocolate, "Chocolate Beefsteak", JD's Special C-Tex...how many others won't now make the cut? It's too early to tell but I'm very sure that I'm finished trying "just one more year" or "just one more seed source" to see if these can overcome their bad habits. Hugh's Black has set a new bar and as wonderful as these can be when you get a good fruit, it's just not worth it to me when the majority of them look like the ugly ones below...sniff.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ACRL.jpg (614.0 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg ACPL.jpg (517.3 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg %22ChocolateBeefsteak%22.jpg (284.3 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg JD's.jpg (406.1 KB, 107 views)