Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 2, 2017   #661
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakley View Post
Good to know, (though i do follow the Newfoundland weather daily). My young
co-worker traveling is having a grand time via text. GrosMorne, now on his way to
StJohns to meet his girlfriend flying in...had hoped to host him in our home but we are
still city bound for a few weeks....
There are still bergs around, but westerly winds today... bliss! Should be leaves on the trees by the time you get here.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2017   #662
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

Typical florida. luckily i have only one tomato growing.
Attached Images
File Type: png Untitled.png (84.3 KB, 106 views)
maxjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2017   #663
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I guess my soil warmed up again. The second sowing of pole beans, two cucumber and one zucchini seed have all sprouted since yesterday...along with another ten oak tree seedlings.

The tomatoes, which have been in the ground and not doing much of anything over the last few weeks are also perking up and producing lots of little suckers and flower buds.

And now we have another stretch of overnight lows in the 40's coming up. ..
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2017   #664
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
There are still bergs around, but westerly winds today... bliss! Should be leaves on the trees by the time you get here.
I heard about the pack-ice...i am one to embrace all weather and why i am heart and
soul connected to my Newfoundland coastal remote home. Not many understand...
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2017   #665
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Default None of this makes any sense!

I've had lots of rain the last four days and today I looked out the window at the garden, it's 86 degrees and 49% humidity and the cantaloupe as well as the cucumbers are wilting. I went out and checked the soil, it's bone dry almost. How can that be?

Yesterday it was plenty wet and we had more rain last night. I don't get it. How can that happen? It's not exceptionally hot, how can my plants be so dry? I don't get it. I watered everything because I could see once I got out there that my bell peppers were wilting and my beans as well. The tomatoes looked ok but testing the soil told me I should water those as well. The only thing that didn't seem to have a problem is my weeks old watermelon plant. I watered everything to be sure it was all okay.

I went ahead and picked the biggest cucumbers so the plant doesn't have to try to keep those going. Yesterday I picked a handful of my first green beans and ate them for a raw snack. Yummy!

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2017   #666
bower
Tomatovillian™

Maybe the wind is drying, Rockporter?

We needed rain really badly, so no complaint about finally getting 10-20 mm today. Northerly winds, not fun combined with rain though. Record breaking cold for this date.
My tomatoes are mostly planted, and the extras are staying in the greenhouse too, although we didn't reach 60 F in there today. Draped with row cover for tonight though. Might as well.
Old June 5, 2017   #667
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Yeah, I don't know Bower, we didn't really have much wind today. I already watered again because the tops were dry again. This is so strange. I'll recheck in the morning. Good to hear you got some rain too.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old June 5, 2017   #668
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Trees?
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2017   #669
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockporter View Post
I've had lots of rain the last four days and today I looked out the window at the garden, it's 86 degrees and 49% humidity and the cantaloupe as well as the cucumbers are wilting. I went out and checked the soil, it's bone dry almost. How can that be?

Yesterday it was plenty wet and we had more rain last night. I don't get it. How can that happen? It's not exceptionally hot, how can my plants be so dry? I don't get it. I watered everything because I could see once I got out there that my bell peppers were wilting and my beans as well. The tomatoes looked ok but testing the soil told me I should water those as well. The only thing that didn't seem to have a problem is my weeks old watermelon plant. I watered everything to be sure it was all okay.

I went ahead and picked the biggest cucumbers so the plant doesn't have to try to keep those going. Yesterday I picked a handful of my first green beans and ate them for a raw snack. Yummy!
While it was raining, were any of the plants still wilting?

It has rained 3.5" here in the past 4 days. Before Friday, it had been dry here for week or so. While it was dry, our squash would wilt during the heat of the day. However, they haven't wilted the past 4 days.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2017   #670
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

No, I don't have any trees for shade here, my only shade is the trellis's we built.

It's starting to hail outside right now, I wonder how much rain I will get with it.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old June 5, 2017   #671
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

No Salt, there was no wilting until today and they perked up real well with the first watering. The soil was good and moist yesterday. It doesn't make sense for sure. It's pouring rain out there right now and the winds are pretty high at around 45 mph. So, I hope the garden doesn't suffer too much tonight. I watered again about 2 hours ago because the soil was dry again on the tops.

~Margaret Atwood~

Last edited by Rockporter; June 5, 2017 at 09:50 PM.
Old June 6, 2017   #672
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

Yo bower, tough growing up your way! bummer. A week and a half ago we had record rain - since nodda - nodda due till ...........another week or more, hot dry winds - this ain't no fun either unless you enjoy dragging hoses around gotta try out some drip lines for my pots ....
Pete
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Deck Toms 64.jpg (464.2 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg Curr Toms.jpg (399.1 KB, 62 views)
tryno12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2017   #673
bower
Tomatovillian™

Lookin lovely Pete! It's a pleasure to see trees with leaves on em...anywhere!!
Old June 9, 2017   #674
imp
Tomatovillian™

Been pouring here, along with the thunder and lightening going on. The local weather is warning of flooded streets for the morning commuters.

Glad I did not water yesterday after all.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2017   #675
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

So far no chance of rain here to speak of but who knows.

Worth.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote