Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 16, 2018   #2146
bower
Tomatovillian™

Hi Vladimir.. Nan is right, no doubt. We just call them "Robin" here. Robins are the most common garden bird... they love worms and slugs, and strawberries of course. They work really hard to keep the slugs off the berries... and then they eat the berries.

Here's another one, we call the "Flicker". It's a type of woodpecker, so really a forest bird, that eats insects in the trees. But this fellow was very busy in the grass. I've never seen a bird with so many different patterns in its plumage. They also have a few yellow feathers in the tail. They like to drum on a metal chimney pot early in the morning to call to others far away.. the sound inside the house is really loud.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg flicker64.JPG (353.0 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg flicker75.JPG (250.7 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg flicker76.JPG (280.4 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg flicker74.JPG (257.3 KB, 86 views)
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2018   #2147
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

I was totally weirded out one day while watching a flicker sitting on a fence. Its tongue was out and I thought it must have hold of a huge worm but no, it was its tongue. They go on the grass in the right season to listen for grubs moving underground. When they locate one they can stick the beak, then tongue, in the hole and reach the grub. I have seen them with a grub in the beak on the lawn. Probably useful for probing tree holes for grubs too.

Top row middle pic has the best image though the one I saw had an even longer tongue. https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...B8980F7DBF8B0B
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2018   #2148
bower
Tomatovillian™

Wow Coastal... that is amazing. I've never seen it nor had any idea. I would definitely have mistaken for a worm.
Old May 17, 2018   #2149
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

I sometimes see in the garden Turdus pilaris, but it is not so pretty.
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 398px-Fieldfare_aka_Turdus_pilaris.jpg (27.0 KB, 88 views)
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2018   #2150
bigpinks
Tomatovillian™

Underside of wings are orange or yellow ....beautiful when they fly. Very diff from other woodpeckers in that they are mostly a ground feeder(I think).
bigpinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2018   #2151
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig46 View Post
I sometimes see in the garden Turdus pilaris, but it is not so pretty.
Vladimír
It is related to the American robin. Baby robins have spots on the belly like that pilaris.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2018   #2152
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

I love sitting outside early in the morning having my coffee this time of year. So much activity going on to watch and enjoy. Two robins have built nests by my back patio sitting on their clutch of blue eggs. 2 males Cardinals competing for the attention of the lone female. A group of 7 crows flying back and forth signaling each other about whatever it is crows talk about. There are half a dozen raptors several hundred feet high that I believe are Peregrine falcons. Once in a while I see one dive towards earth zeroing in on an unsuspecting target.

So much is happening that I would never see if I sat indoors. In the meantime I get up and dig smallish tree stumps out of a neglected rose bed. Slowly it is getting done.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2018   #2153
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
It is related to the American robin. Baby robins have spots on the belly like that pilaris.

Nan
I find all the feather patterns to be really beautiful. Even a mostly brown bird is amazing to me. The way it works as camo is incredible too.
Old May 18, 2018   #2154
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

Peregrines are pretty rare around here. The only falcons I ever see are little kestrels, which we call sparrow hawks. About 50% bigger than a mourning dove. A lot of people post pics of their backyard "peregrines" on blogs and facebook, but to me these always seem to look like regular old cooper's hawks or sharp shins.

Robins are about the most annoying bird around. They are very territorial and put their nests way too close to our house. Plus, they eat worms! I want those worms left alone.

Flickers in bright sunlight are exquisite. I've always called them groundpeckers. Sure, they eat worms too, but there are probably 200 robins for every flicker. I love that beautiful cream breast with black dots. Male Sparrow hawks also have a breast like that. Also drake green wing teal.

Cardinals are probably my favorite songbird. They are polite and cheerful and love the lilac in the corner of the yard.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2018   #2155
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

It is late here and there is a nightingale out in the arbor vitae just going all out for the last couple hours. I can hear another far off but with a much different song. That (far off) one sounds like it's telling this one to shut up and go to sleep.

Very nice song, seems to do 4 lines at once, without a pattern I can discern. Probably it is just happy for a night without steady rain. If so, I wholeheartedly agree.
Old May 18, 2018   #2156
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

I feed the robin chopped raisins. It cuts down the number of worms and keeps him alive feb-april. We're buddies. I'll turn over a rock or two for him.
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2018   #2157
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

No singing last night, that is for sure. Steady rain. Looks like this pattern might be done on Monday. Today is comm. garden cleanup day. Will be very wet.
Old May 19, 2018   #2158
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

The weather has been rainy ,cloudy and cooler for the last 3 days. Forecast calls for the same for a couple of more days.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2018   #2159
nyrfan
Tomatovillian™

It was cold & rainy in central NJ yesterday (Sat. 5/19): low-mid 50's, another 1/2"+ of precipitation on top of the 2 inches or so we had in previous 7 days.

My saturated seedlings have withstood this soggy stretch rather well, greening-up & growing, but now the woollies are starting to lean due to the amount of water on their leaves.

Another 0.2" are expected today but it'll be warmer, around 80.

Pic is from Mon. 5/14.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1011826.jpg (596.0 KB, 32 views)
nyrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2018   #2160
imp
Tomatovillian™

Storm is here and we are getting some fast and furious rain right now. Supposed to have evening/night thunderstorms possible this week, some with nasty hail possible.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote