Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 20, 2018   #2161
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

Just woke up to the sounds of a approaching severe thunderstorm and warning. I was able to get our dog outside to do his morning bidness before the onslaught. Torrential rain(we needed rain), strong winds (i will be surprised if trees or limbs aren't damaged) and constant lightening, Electricity has flickered several times, but hasn't gone out. Coffee is tasting very good this morning.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2018   #2162
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Woke last night to the sound of thunder. How far off, I sat and wondered. Started humming a tune from 1963...

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2018   #2163
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

Comm garden cleanup was cancelled via electronics 3 hours beforehand due to light/steady rain and mid 50s. It was beautiful weather for getting work done; you get a little chilly when you stand around, instead of sweating profusely after 15 minutes of work under a hot sun. Unfortunately, everyone these days seems to put their money into cell phones with weather app to make a 6am call off, rather than proper clothing to make the best of a weeks-old scheduled event.

I went and did my share solo, but it is a reminder of why I am not a "joiner" anymore.

My brother's kids' soccer leagues are the same way. They pay something like $150 per kid for maybe 6 games that last 32 min, only 5 kids at a time for 10 man teams, then half are cancelled a few hours ahead of time due to possible weather and never made up, or made up as short game doubleheaders. I'll wager the parents spend more time facebooking about their kid's soccer than the kids spend playing it.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2018   #2164
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

It's raining and 65F! The forecasts were wrong
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2018   #2165
bower
Tomatovillian™

Sounds like a day of rain all round - just started here but so light I am tempted to keep on working outdoors. I hear you JR, couldn't agree more about working in cooler weather. It is on the windy side here as well with southerly wind gusting 70 to 90 kph. Feel sorry for the greens I transplanted and some regret about using row cover as this itself is giving them a bit of a beating.

Yesterday I framed up a new bed for my leeks and shallots. Decided to use some of the "old coals biochar" soil after all, as it's looking half decent. Much digging of tansy roots, and a layer of cardboard and old phone books pages underneath the new bed in case of volunteers. Then today it's filling up the bed with soil from ye olde composte piles. Rigged up a screen to get roots and such out, so far it's not looking too bad. Ah, forever optimist. The best looking compost is the one with little half red half black biter ants living in it... yes this could be a MUCH better job to do in the rain.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2018   #2166
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

I've heard ants don't like coffee grounds, but I don't know if there's anything to it or if the myth is -er- groundless.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2018   #2167
bower
Tomatovillian™

Nan, I'll have to test that out. Always glad to learn new applications for the old grounds.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2018   #2168
Harry Cabluck
Tomatovillian™

Sunday afternoon received 3/4-inch rain in central Austin. Topped off the storage tank. Happy day.
Harry Cabluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2018   #2169
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Cabluck View Post
Sunday afternoon received 3/4-inch rain in central Austin. Topped off the storage tank. Happy day.
Good rain in Bastrop too just what we needed.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2018   #2170
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
I've heard ants don't like coffee grounds, but I don't know if there's anything to it or if the myth is -er- groundless.

Nan
I found a pound of Folgers, un-opened, in the garden shed. I bet it has been there for 10years. No clue why but
guessing from an old OrganicGardening Mag article.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2018   #2171
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakley View Post
I found a pound of Folgers, un-opened, in the garden shed. I bet it has been there for 10years. No clue why but
guessing from an old OrganicGardening Mag article.
If it were me I would try it out and brew a cup.

Worth
Old May 20, 2018   #2172
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

We got 2 heavy thunderstorms today and have gotten 2.32" of rain with a chance of rain everyday this week. Hopefully that won't happen as we are good for now.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2018   #2173
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

The Highland Lakes where many get their water is way below normal already.
It is due to frivolous consumption by people that have no idea about what real conservation is.
The same people that change clothes and take showers at least twice a day and water worthless lawns.
The same people that will hug a tree in Brazil and n0t think twice about wasting water in their own back yard.
Central Texas is on the verge of a water collapse and no one seems to give a hoot.
Worth.
Old May 20, 2018   #2174
imp
Tomatovillian™

My local rain fall is keeping up okay, but this is drought country, and after the last big drought, I just continue to conserve and use water as wisely as I can. Many have gone back to being wasteful, such as United Regional hospital who allows water to run off the plantings for more than 3 city blocks. My water consumption is usually under what can be charged for, so I get only the basic base charges most months.

Rained last night again, a quick thunderstorm blew up and through, overcast much of today. Looks like that is the weather for this next week, so will be planting out in between storms and trying to get things done. My water barrel is staying full, and to prevent 'skeeters, I drop part of a dunk in every so often.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2018   #2175
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

After about 3 days of tamed gentle rain, we are getting the sunshine back.
the temperatures also moderated, with highs around 85F. But scattered showers will be around for a while.
No complaints. I just want my first ripe mater.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote