Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 23, 2011   #16
recruiterg
Tomatovillian™

I think if you are only going to be gone for a week, you could start the seeds using the dense planting method making sure to give the potting mix a good watering when you start, come back one week later, and all the seedlings would be pushing the plastic wrap up. All you'd have to do at that point would be to remove the plastic and get the plants under grow lights.

Problem solved. Quit whining.
recruiterg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2011   #17
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Why not just put the grow lights on a timer before you go and start the seeds.
that way any seeds that sprout will already have light.

When I go the work I do this and when I get home in 2 weeks I have plants.

Any sprout that does not have light on it real fast will be worthless when you get home it only takes 2 or 3 days.

Think about it many of your seeds will just be sprouting when you get home anyway.

I lied about not sprouting seeds this year I have a back yard full of god only knows what sprouting there.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2011   #18
matilda'skid
Tomatovillian™

Yes if you are only going to be gone a week plant the seeds and put them under lights with a timer. They won't need the lights until just before you get home, but the lights will prevent leggy early sprouters. They won't need anything from you watering or fertilizer in that short time period.

PS congratulations on your son's achievement. Don't you dare whine where your family can hear.

Last edited by matilda'skid; February 23, 2011 at 12:32 PM. Reason: PS omitted
matilda'skid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2011   #19
OneoftheEarls
Tomatovillian™

I guess I could do ONE tray of 72 cells...I'd just hate if something died

I am very proud and I was hoping for something 60F and up...will be with son, no time for golf...maybe get online with ya'all.

I know wifey is taking her laptop and skyping the other siblings in Sault MI and Guam while we are there so they get to see him in TX.

Sounds like a long drive for a buzzard like me...lol.
OneoftheEarls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2011   #20
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneoftheEarls View Post

I will have to wait until I come back....end of first week in March to get any tomatoes started.

I am looking for empathy and sympathy in this thread
WHAT? you have to wait to the 1st week of march, are you kidding me? i don't start seeds until 4/5 or 4/7, get a grip man.

how's that for sympathy?
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2011   #21
lurley
Tomatovillian™

I'm south of you in Ohio and I won't start mine til next week either. I started them earlier last year... big mistake. I am anxious to start also, so I feel your pain.
lurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2011   #22
ArcherB
Tomatovillian™

I've done the Michigan to Texas trip a few times. Glad that part of my life is over with. Liked Michigan. Love Texas!

While in San Antonio, be you'll have to get some good stuff you can't get in the mitten state.
1) Get some REAL Mexican food. Taco Bell is NOT Mexican food.
2) Get some REAL barbecue while here. In my four years in Michigan, I could not find a single restaurant that served good barbecue. Even when going to a butcher, I'd get strange looks. "You want a FRESH brisket?" "Yes, and don't trim the fat, you corned beef Nazi's!"
3) Shiner Beer! While some of the microbrews I've been to in Lansing and Grand Rapids were good, nothing came close to a good Shiner Bock. May as well get a few margaritas as well, but I wouldn't recommend doing Shiner and 'ritas in the same night.
4) The Natural Gardner in Austin. You'll be passing through Austin anyway, may as well swing the The Natural Gardner. Check the place out and be sure to come back with a few bags of their "You-Bag-It" compost. I recommend their Revitalizer and Turkey Composts.

Oh, and the company that makes Texas Tomato Cages is about 2 hrs south of San Antonio if you get a wild hair. With all that Shiner and Mexican food, you'll probably get a wild hair. :-) The Natural Gardner will sell them sometimes the four footers. They are the same price as buying them directly, but there is no shipping charges.

The good news is that gas is cheaper here in Texas than in Michigan. Enjoy your stay.
ArcherB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2011   #23
laspasturas
Tomatovillian™

I second The Natural Gardener! We went last year when we were down in Austin and stayed for hours. We came back with our car loaded almost to the point of dragging.
laspasturas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2011   #24
BSue54
Tomatovillian™

When I lived in San Antonio, we loved to get a Mexican food fix at Las Palapas - there's a big one on the west loop not too far from Lackland. It's family owned and NOT on the River Walk and several locations. Or (if it's still there) near downtown, there's a place called Rolando's Super Tacos. They had HUGE soft tacos. My late DH always used to get 3 carne guisada ones at Las Palapas. Only tried that ONCE at Rolando's - one was enough LOL.

For BBQ, we used to live on Bill Miller's. They have peach cobbler to die for, as well. It's fast-food BBQ but good, fast, and relatively inexpensive - they're all over town, usually within a couple blocks of a fire-house, if that tells you anything
Old February 25, 2011   #25
WillysWoodPile

Quote:
I am going to Texas (from Michigan) to see my youngest son graduate Air Force Basic in San Antonio.

I will have to wait until I come back....end of first week in March to get any tomatoes started.

I am looking for empathy and sympathy in this thread

I am also praying that gasoline is NOT $4/gallon as rumored to be in near future.
Take my step-dad with you. He can talk your head off complaining about gas prices all the way to the Alamo.
Should I whine that you will pass within a few miles of my house on your way down and you didn't stop to ask if I wanted to go?

Congratulations.
Old February 25, 2011   #26
OneoftheEarls
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the great tips and suggestions...I visited Mexico many times, muchos viejos...was stationed at Fort Bliss and lived in Cayo Hueso 90 miles from Cuba but I love Mexican food so now give up the names of places IN San Antonio hombre.

Any travel tips to save time....hope gas is under $4 this viejo

Having the mechanic look over my Buick Park Avenue...btw a Bonneville gets way better mileage
OneoftheEarls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2011   #27
ireilly
Tomatovillian™

It's about $3.10 here now for 87 octane, depending on what Moammar Ghadafi does next, apparently. But unless you are towing a tanker, you have to deal with each state as it comes and goes.

And there be fools out thar, so Safe Travel!
ireilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2011   #28
WillysWoodPile

Quote:
Thanks for the great tips and suggestions...I visited Mexico many times, muchos viejos...was stationed at Fort Bliss and lived in Cayo Hueso 90 miles from Cuba but I love Mexican food so now give up the names of places IN San Antonio hombre.

Any travel tips to save time....hope gas is under $4 this viejo

Having the mechanic look over my Buick Park Avenue...btw a Bonneville gets way better mileage
Gas is up to $3.45 here in Kalamazoo.
Old February 25, 2011   #29
frogwash
Tomatovillian™

I sell cars (with dignity & respect) for a living and last Saturday, I sold a car to a guy who has worked for Chevron for 43 years and still does. He bought a Lincoln MKZ HYBRID. While it is a really a very nice car, the fact that a guy who works for a major oil company is buying a hybrid rather than a Lincoln with the 365 HP engine somewhat frightens me and may not portend well as to what will happen to petroleum product prices in the not-so-distant future.

Oh well, at least he didn't buy a toyota hybrid.