Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 17, 2011   #1
Heidelberg
Tomatovillian™

Default Early Girl Small Fruit

I have an early girl which seems to be very healthy. It is VERY small however. We have pretty warm winters in Arizona so I just went ahead and got a jump start on it. Its just short of 2ft tall maybe 20-22in. It has about 20 fruits growing on it already. The older ones don't appear to be getting any bigger while the newer ones are far surpassing them. It started setting fruit not too long after I planted it. It has 4 stems, some of which arent producing fruit yet but all do have blossoms. I feel like maybe there isn't enough vegetative matter to keep all the fruit growing. Should I:

1) Snip the blossoms off the non-producing stems but keep the leaves?
2) Snip off the non producing stems completely?
3) Snip off the small fruits that don't seem to be growing (large pea size)?
4) Leave it alone, they will catch up?
5) Just quit obsessing about it this is normal?

Last edited by Heidelberg; February 17, 2011 at 03:58 PM. Reason: wrong number value
Heidelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2011   #2
brog
Tomatovillian™

Don`t do 1-2-3 DO 4+5. Also spray with fish or fish and sea weed 1 time a week 2 tbs per gal. all season. no it is not to much. after wetting top and bottom of leaf spray remiander around roots or other veggies. ( peppers and squash LOVE it. Good Luck Bill
Old February 17, 2011   #3
travis
Tomatovillian™

Are you growing in a container? If so, are you watering daily, especially during hot, dry spells? If so, are you replacing nutrients you're washing out of the growing medium, especially nitrogen after a heavy fruit set?

I've grown Early Girl in containers and gotten heavy fruit loads during very warm weather, resulting in smaller ripe fruit than I would've liked. Mine went about 4 - 6 ounces when the plant was loaded down and the weather was very warm, even though I pruned the vine to 2 stems. What size tomatoes are you getting?
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2011   #4
brog
Tomatovillian™

I grow 90% organic (some say that IS NOT ORGANIC) in raised beds. From time to time I have to use a little help with white flies. I put a TBS. of composted chicken manure at 1st bloom and every 4 week there after until frost. 6 to 8 oz (sometime a 9 or 10 will show up) is a good average for me. I grow other varieties for size and taste. I do pinch small fruit if I see to much fruit set during the season. GOOD LUCK Bill
Old February 17, 2011   #5
Heidelberg
Tomatovillian™

It is growing in a container but its an earth box type contraption so probably not flushing out too many nutrients. I have flushed it a couple of times to make sure it isn't too saline but I add some lite fertilizer afterwards. I have thus far been watering it with very diluted manure tea when it gets low. I have also given it small amounts of bone meal, mealworm frass, and a little ash from orange peels. I have it planted in composted manure, some decomposed granite, and topsoil with mulch on top. One problem I have is that it gets about 7 1/2 to 8 hrs of direct sunlight maximum. I would love for it to get more but there is just nowhere else to put it. I have two siberians that are in a container hanging over the balcony and an upside down mortgage lifter. They are getting alot more sun and are growing much faster. However, from what I have read the amount of sunlight it is getting should be enough right?
Old February 18, 2011   #6
brog
Tomatovillian™

Sorry Travis I thougt you were asking me the question about contianers lol
Old February 18, 2011   #7
travis
Tomatovillian™

No problem. Heidelberg seems to have it under control, although I tend to shy away from so-called "topsoil" for containers unless I know exactly what comprises the stuff, like if I make it myself. If the growing medium is too dense or retains too much moisture in a self watering or continual drip situation, I could see where the roots might be in an over saturated condition that might adversely affect fruit production or size. But all in all it sounds like he has a huge fruit load and that may be what is inhibiting full size development. Just a guess.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2011   #8
brog
Tomatovillian™

I agree. to much fruit. He should keep doing what he`s doing and pinch blooms or better still young fruit.
Old February 18, 2011   #9
Heidelberg
Tomatovillian™

OK I think I am gonna try that. I think you are right about the root saturation as I had to fiddle with the water table a bit to prevent the plant from drowning. It seems to be working well where its at now (at least as far as the leaves being all nice and perky) Its in a drilled aquarium so I can actually see when things are getting saturated. I keep a white burlap skirt around it the rest of the time to stop the sun from penetrating.

Thanks guys

Last edited by Heidelberg; February 18, 2011 at 05:45 PM.