Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 16, 2011   #1
jhp
Tomatovillian™

Default Looking for Input on Red Barn & Others

I've been off line for months and I'm just now thinking about this summer's tomatoes. At first I thought, "oh, I'll just use seeds I have and grow ones I've grown before." How silly of me. I've never done that yet. So I looked at Glecker's last night and kept hitting add to cart, add to cart. What's come over me? I can't stop doing that. Some sounded good by their description. Saw some names I haven't heard before, some I had heard of but need a refresher. Although I always try a few new to me varieties each year, I'd like to hear anyone's experiences on these. I know the old adage about everyone's taste is different and all that, but still would like to hear about these. Specifically, did they produce well, healthy vigorous plant, and of course, taste good OR not? To give you an idea my favorites have been Brandywine Sudduth's Strain (although haven't grown it in lately due to it being stingy), Cherokee Purple, Gary'O Sena, JD's Special C-Tex, Earl's Faux, Sungold, Sprite, Grape, and Armenian.

German Extreme Dwarf Bush
Herman's Special
Homer's German Oxheart
Ludmilla's Red Plum
Ludmilla's Pink Heart
Mr. Bruno
Red Barn
Giant Belgium

Thanks!

Jen
jhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2011   #2
kygreg
Tomatovillian™

Giant Belgium - good producer, 10-18 oz mostly, very good taste.

Homer's German Oxheart -average producer, some up to 2lbs, very good taste

Red Barn - good producer, 10-16 oz, very good taste.
kygreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2011   #3
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Red Barn was very prolific in my garden last year. Large toms that have that good old fashioned zing. Herman's Special was a great producer of large hearts, and I can say that the more hearts I grow, the more I find myself agreeing with Carolyn. Yummmmmm!!!!!

Both are highly recommended.

Ted
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2011   #4
OneoftheEarls
Tomatovillian™

another supporter of Red Barn

and Giant Belgium...I'm growing some on your list for the first time myself.

Earl
OneoftheEarls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2011   #5
jhp
Tomatovillian™

Excellent! I haven't put my order in yet. I may weed some out. Limited space and all that. But I'm thinking Red Barn and Giant Belgium are in. Still on the fence about the others. It doesn't take much to push me over the edge apparently!

Thanks a bunch for the input. Looking forward to hearing more!

Jen
Old February 16, 2011   #6
jhp
Tomatovillian™

Earl, which of the ones on my list are you growing for the first time?

Thanks,

Jen
Old February 16, 2011   #7
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

German Extreme Dwarf Bush, haven't grown

Herman's Special, SSe listed and offered here at Tville the past two years. large red but with a more assertive taste tha some folks like very much.

Homer's German Oxheart, haven't grown

Ludmilla's Red Plum, have SSE listed it and offered here the last two years and i absolutely love it. Wonderdul taste, great production, etc.

Ludmilla's Pink Heart, essentially the same story as above, but heart and pink

Mr. Bruno, never grew it

Red Barn, I keep yelling about this one being the msot overlooked variety of the several that I was able to germinate for Joe Bratka b'c he couldn't do it. They were bred by his father and the others are Box Car Willie, Great Divide, Mule Team and Pasture. There were 3 I couldn't germinate and I always wondered what they would have been.

Giant Belgium, large pink beef, there are much better large pinks IMO and many of them at Gleckler's, best known, i think, b'c someone said they could make great wine with this variety and that comment has followed this variety for decades.

And yes, I was the source of Red Barn and the Ludmilla's to Adam and don't tempt me but there are others there that I could list, but sheesh, this could go on and on.
Old February 16, 2011   #8
OneoftheEarls
Tomatovillian™

Herman's Special is new to me....I'll grow Ludmilla if they are a big enough heart. The word "plum" is sometimes misleading.

I have Ludmilla Red Plum...can't get to Tatiana's from work.
Old February 16, 2011   #9
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneoftheEarls View Post
Herman's Special is new to me....I'll grow Ludmilla if they are a big enough heart. The word "plum" is sometimes misleading.
Earl, Ludmilla's Plum IS plum shaped, not hearts and Ludmilla's Pink Heart IS heart shaped, no plums.

And I don't know why more folks don't grow Gianinni which is one of the best varieties I've grown in the past couple of years re both taste and production. Not a heart Earl.
Old February 16, 2011   #10
OneoftheEarls
Tomatovillian™

I had Gianinni on my list I thought but not when I posted...I'll check on that Carolyn...or actually that went out on a trade...I knew I just dealt with it...lol
Old February 16, 2011   #11
jhp
Tomatovillian™

Ah Carolyn! I was hoping you would show up! That is why I put Red Barn in my post title, I thought it might catch your eye. I knew the story that you had resuscitated the seeds for Joe B. About Red Barn you said, "I keep yelling about this one being the msot overlooked variety of the several that I was able to germinate for Joe Bratka" I must have missed your yellings about it. Sounds like you like it. Anything else you'd like to add about taste, production, etc?

I hadn't heard the wine story about Giant Belgium. It's funny because I am working on my first batch of wine (from grape juice, not tomatoes) right now. That's all we need for me to mix 2 hobbies together now.
Old February 16, 2011   #12
jhp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Earl, Ludmilla's Plum IS plum shaped, not hearts and Ludmilla's Pink Heart IS heart shaped, no plums.

And I don't know why more folks don't grow Gianinni which is one of the best varieties I've grown in the past couple of years re both taste and production. Not a heart Earl.
Oh great! It does go on and on! Now I'm off to look up Gianinni!

Jen
Old February 16, 2011   #13
strax
Tomatovillian™

Red Barn - large and great flavor. However, it was really late for me. I dont remember the date of the first ripe one, but it was in september and I was beginning to wonder if they would ripen at all.

extreme dwarf bush - good flavor. didnt produce much for me, but gave some fruit before the others started.
strax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2011   #14
jhp
Tomatovillian™

Thanks strax. The late ripening can be an issue sometimes. As for the extreme dwarf bush, the reason I wanted to grow that one is really for my niece. She lives in NYC and last summer decided she wanted a seedling to grow on her fire escape. So it would have to be small. I didn't have any small plants that I could give her, so she gave up on it. So I am on the look out for something for her to grow this summer. We had a tomato tasting contest last year and she wanted to participate. Did you grow yours in a container or in the ground? The description said 1 foot tall and 1 foot wide. Does that jibe with your experience? Thanks!

How about Shilling Giant? It's an oxheart. Just saw that on Tomato Growers. Anyone grow that?

Jen
Old February 16, 2011   #15
farmall
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhp View Post
I've been off line for months and I'm just now thinking about this summer's tomatoes. At first I thought, "oh, I'll just use seeds I have and grow ones I've grown before." How silly of me. I've never done that yet. So I looked at Glecker's last night and kept hitting add to cart, add to cart. What's come over me? I can't stop doing that. Some sounded good by their description. Saw some names I haven't heard before, some I had heard of but need a refresher. Although I always try a few new to me varieties each year, I'd like to hear anyone's experiences on these. I know the old adage about everyone's taste is different and all that, but still would like to hear about these. Specifically, did they produce well, healthy vigorous plant, and of course, taste good OR not? To give you an idea my favorites have been Brandywine Sudduth's Strain (although haven't grown it in lately due to it being stingy), Cherokee Purple, Gary'O Sena, JD's Special C-Tex, Earl's Faux, Sungold, Sprite, Grape, and Armenian.

8German Extreme Dwarf Bush Good produces tomatoes early and plants are very small. 506 is better but later and a larger plant
3Herman's Special Produced blemish free tomatoes for us good flavor worth growing
7Homer's German Oxheart worth growing
2Ludmilla's Red Plum Both of these are worth growing
5Ludmilla's Pink Heart
4Mr. Bruno produces a boat load of tomatoes
1Red Barn one of our favorites for reds good producer of large reds I agree with Carolyn on this one
6Giant Belgium 1German Head is all around better a pink beefsteak but Giant Belgium is a great tasting tomato.

Thanks!

Jen

That is how I would rate them. A neighbor of ours made some wine out of some of our Giant Belgium's. He gave me a couple bottles. It was clear and potant and did not taste anything like tomatoes. It was Ok but I am more of a beer drinker

In other is what that wine makes you do.
farmall is offline   Reply With Quote