Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 25, 2011   #1
Stepheninky
Tomatovillian™

Default Plant hormones and growth regulators

Here are some plant growth hormones and plant growth regulators I was thinking of trying out this year. Anyone have any experience with any of these and tips on the best usage?

Benzylaminopurine, Cytokinin, Plant Growth Regulator

Product Description
Benzylaminopurine, 6-Benzylaminopurine, benzyl adenine or BAP is a first-generation synthetic cytokinin which elicits plant growth and development responses, setting blossoms and stimulating fruit richness by stimulating cell division. Causes new shoot and branch growth. Good when combined with Gibberellic Acid.

Gibberellic Acid 5 Grams 90%. Ultra Permium Grade

A plant hormone that promotes growth and that is the most important of the gibberellins. It is used commercially to break dormancy of plants, promote germination, and increase or retard the development of fruit.

Fulvic Acid Powder 40grams. Super Concentrated

Product Description
Why pay for water?? Fulvic acid powder contains 70 trace minerals: Antimony, Barium, Beryllium, Bismuth, Boron, Bromine, Calcium, Carbon, Cerium, Cesium, Chloride, Chromium, Cobalt, Copper, Dysprosium, Erbium, Europium, Fluorine, Gadolinium, Gallium, Germanium, Gold, Hafnium, Holmium, Indium, Iodine, Iridium, Iron, Lithium, Lutetium, Magnesium, Manganese, Molybdenum, Niacin, Nickel, Niobium, Osmium, Palladium, Phosphorus, Platinum, Potassium, Peaseodymium, Rhenium, Rhodium, Rubidium, Ruthenium, Samarium, Selenium, Silver, Sodium, Strontium, Sulphur, Tantalum, Thorium, Tellurium, Terbium, Thulium, Tin, Titanium, Tungsten, Ytterbium, Yttrium, Zinc, Zirconium, Amino Acids: Alanine, Glutamic Acid, Glycine, Histidine, Isoleucine, Methionine, Phenylalanine, Serinine, Threonine, Tryptophan, Valine. You are buying 40grams of fulvic acid powder extracted from Leonardite. This is enough to make 50 gallons of ready to use fulvic acid. Regular 70% fulvic acid has a dilution ratio of 1:200 to 1:500. Huminova brand fulvic acid has a dilution ratio of 1:3000 to 1:5000. 40 grams is enough to make 50 gallons at 1:5000 dilution ratio. Using cutting edge technology, our friends at HUMINOVA have created a short carbon molecule from fullvic acid allowing it to be extremely concentrated.Just 800mg(under 1 gram),slightly less then 1/4 teaspoon is enough for 1 GALLON of ready to use liquid fulvic acid for foliar spray. This miracle molecule, fulvic acid passes through plants' cell walls with ease. Fulvic acid acts as a claw or chelating agent attaching to minerals that would otherwise be rendered useless to plants. Essential nutrients vitamins, and or plant growth regulators which plants may not be able to assimilate easily, will piggyback on the fulvic acid to be transported to all cells that need them. This miracle molecule has incredible potential when used for soil enrichment, in hydroponic applications and as a foliar spray.
Stepheninky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2011   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

A plant hormone that promotes growth and that is the most important of the gibberellins. It is used commercially to break dormancy of plants, promote germination, and increase or retard the development of fruit.

THe above I have used as one of many methods to wake up old seeds, as part of an experiment and with controls. Craig L has also tried it.

In my experience it didn't lead to any increased germination, but the plants that did appear were lanky and spindly beyond belief.

The suggestion was to use G alone or in combination with K nitrate and I tried that as well, each of them at different concentrations, and I gave up b/c germination percentages weren't increased and the seedlings that did grow were awful, as in lanky and spindly.

At the time Craig and I had lots of seeds to practice with b'c we'd gotten a lot of low germinating seed from the USDA back when it was possible to do that.

I went on to other methods of enhancing seed germination.

At the time, also, it wasn't possible to buy it off the shelf anywhere, one had to buy it from a scientific supply place like Fisher or Baker, I don't remember where Craig got it from but both of us were working at the time and had access to it.
Old January 26, 2011   #3
Stepheninky
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post

THe above I have used as one of many methods to wake up old seeds, as part of an experiment and with controls. Craig L has also tried it.

In my experience it didn't lead to any increased germination, but the plants that did appear were lanky and spindly beyond belief.

The suggestion was to use G alone or in combination with K nitrate and I tried that as well, each of them at different concentrations, and I gave up b/c germination percentages weren't increased and the seedlings that did grow were awful, as in lanky and spindly.

At the time Craig and I had lots of seeds to practice with b'c we'd gotten a lot of low germinating seed from the USDA back when it was possible to do that.

I went on to other methods of enhancing seed germination.

At the time, also, it wasn't possible to buy it off the shelf anywhere, one had to buy it from a scientific supply place like Fisher or Baker, I don't remember where Craig got it from but both of us were working at the time and had access to it.
Yea from what I have read on it your observations were right. The plan I have of using the GA3 is as a foliage spay after first bloom set. The ideal or at least what I am hoping the effect will be is to trigger the hormonal switch from plant growth to blooming and fruit setting.
Old January 26, 2011   #4
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I have 2 second-hand experiences with GA.

Back in the 50s my Dad used it on our back yard (huge) strawberry patch. It was supposed to make giant berries. I don't know where he got it from or how he used it as I was under 10 at that time. But we did have big strawberries.

Hubby was in the turf biz when I met him. He was the superentendant at a golf course that had a PGA tournament for many years. The PGA always wants the rough to be tall and nasty for a tournament but sometimes if the weather doesn't cooperate the grass can be really slow growing. But an application of GA about a week before and a watering or 2 can turn the course into a jungle.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2011   #5
Stepheninky
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Carol,

Sounds about like what I am trying to duplicate with the GA3. I am thinking along the lines of 150 ppm of the GA3 feed at first bloom with a bloom booster fert hopefully will trigger the plant into production mode.

Anyone else have any info on the others or even more on the GA3 would be great.

The Benzylaminopurine, Cytokinin, Plant Growth Regulator will be used most likely at first bloom as well. Though I might try using it on some seedlings as well along with an Auxin, like naphthalene acetic acid ( NAA ) or indoleacetic acid ( IAA )

Still thinking on what will be the best approach to using the Fulvic Acid
Old January 27, 2011   #6
doublehelix
Tomatovillian™

You will have a mess on your hands. GA can function as a herbicide if you don't know what you are doing. As for the auxins, don't count on saving seeds.
doublehelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2011   #7
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Stephen, what am I missing here?

Why do you want to force a tomato plant from the vegetative phase of growth to the sexual stage by using plant hormones?

The plant knows when to make that change itself as I see it. Each variety has the genes that determine when that switch is made which is what gives us the so called DTM's, guesstimates that they are, that characterize a specific variety.

The product sold as Blossom Set also has plant hormones in it, I know one is indole acetic acid , IAA, but there are other cytokinins, auxins, that are also used, and what they can do is to lead to parthenocarpy which means that the seeds produced are few and far between, which is what I think Original was referring to.

Also, Blossom Set can lead to malformed fruits and mushy flesh as well, all b'c fruit development is abnormal due to the partheocarpy ( lack of fertilization of ovules in the tomato ovary which leads to seeds to be).

And Blossom Set was devised to be used in areas where there are cool springs where temps are not favorable for pollenization, areas such as the PNW.

Dr. Jim Baggett at Oregon State U bred several parthenocarpic varieties, Legend is one, right now I've forgotten all the others, just for that reason.
Old January 27, 2011   #8
thatguy
Tomatovillian™

This site has a lot of information, PPM charts and such,but unfortunately no longer sells.
thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2011   #9
RinTinTin
Tomatovillian™

More info on GA3:

Gibberellic Acid for Fruit Set and Seed Germination
RinTinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2011   #10
Stepheninky
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Stephen, what am I missing here?

Why do you want to force a tomato plant from the vegetative phase of growth to the sexual stage by using plant hormones?

The plant knows when to make that change itself as I see it. Each variety has the genes that determine when that switch is made which is what gives us the so called DTM's, guesstimates that they are, that characterize a specific variety.

The product sold as Blossom Set also has plant hormones in it, I know one is indole acetic acid , IAA, but there are other cytokinins, auxins, that are also used, and what they can do is to lead to parthenocarpy which means that the seeds produced are few and far between, which is what I think Original was referring to.

Also, Blossom Set can lead to malformed fruits and mushy flesh as well, all b'c fruit development is abnormal due to the partheocarpy ( lack of fertilization of ovules in the tomato ovary which leads to seeds to be).

And Blossom Set was devised to be used in areas where there are cool springs where temps are not favorable for pollenization, areas such as the PNW.

Dr. Jim Baggett at Oregon State U bred several parthenocarpic varieties, Legend is one, right now I've forgotten all the others, just for that reason.
The ideal is not to force a premature plant to set fruit. The ideal is to Increase fruit set. By increasing the number of blooms the already mature plant (this is the reason I said at first bloom set) creates.

I do not use a bloom spray for some of the reasons you stated, This is not my intent to use it in that way. Plants use hormonal triggers as they grow. I am trying to time the application with this natural fruit production trigger to try and get a stronger response thus increasing yield.

This is just partly to experiment. I do not intend to spay every plant I have in the garden with the hormones and growth regulators.
Old January 30, 2011   #11
dice
Tomatovillian™

More flowers does not necessarily mean more fruit, but it
may be useful to find out if some cultivars do develop more
fruit on average doing this. (I have seen some with large flower
clusters that actually set only a few fruit per cluster, despite
daily encouragement with the artificial bee.)

Raspberries usually respond well to just a foliar feeding with
blossom booster when they are flowering. The extra
phosphorous and potassium seems to do it for them.
Old February 17, 2011   #12
ireilly
Tomatovillian™

Just thought I'd post this link as it relates not only to gibberellic acid(s) but also to seed starting and germination, nitrates, bleach, hydrogen peroxide, charred-wood leachate, citric acid, and other things.

I had seen this website before but not this article.

I've not ordered seed from here before but there are some really obscure seeds offered, and I don't mean tomatoes. Not promoting the site, just the article.

But I think Stephen was looking for GA-3 supplies and this site appears to offer them.

http://www.jlhudsonseeds.net/GibberellicAcid.htm
ireilly is offline   Reply With Quote