Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 19, 2011   #1
laspasturas
Tomatovillian™

Default Is White Currant the same as Coyote?

I apologize if this has been covered in a previous post. I searched the forum and found a reference to Coyote possibly being misnamed as White Currant. I am asking because I ordered White Currant seeds from Baker Creek two years ago. Last year, I received a bonus pack of Coyote seeds from Tomato Bob's. I grew out both and the fruits were nearly identical as far as I can remember, but I didn't pay enough attention to the plants to notice if they had all of the same traits.

They were my grandmother's favorite last year, so I'll be growing two of each again this year and saving seed. I'm would like to call them by the correct name, if they are the same. I wasn't sure if there was any more information out there about the two. I can find a lot of listings for Coyote seeds, but not many for White Currants.
laspasturas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2011   #2
lurley
Tomatovillian™

It is hard to say just because I don't know if what Baker Creek sold was really white currant or if it was mislabeled coyote. I am growing coyote for the first time this year, and have grown white/yellow currant for the last four years. Going from what I know of the currant tomatoes I grow and comparing to photos and info on tatiana's website for coyote, I would say that coyote is a cherry tomato, and therefore bigger fruited than currant tomato, with a bushier habit. My currants grow like crazy all over the place, are definitely not bushy, and it would probably take three of them to equal the size of one coyote. Mine tend to be only about a 1/4 inch across and photos of coyote that I see show it to be about 3/4 of an inch though some descriptions have it at half an inch. I'm sure others who have already grown coyote can say more, and will maybe know what baker creek was selling.
Hope I helped a little bit.
lurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2011   #3
laspasturas
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, lurley. That makes me wonder if my Coyote seeds are actually Coyote. They were definitely smaller than a normal cherry size--somewhere between 1/4-1/2 in. As far as I can remember, the plant was pretty similar to the White Currants, but I can't say for sure that it was as wild. I wish I'd paid more attention!

Hopefully, I'll have a couple of good plants of each to compare this year.
laspasturas is offline   Reply With Quote