Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old December 27, 2007   #1
barkeater
Tomatovillian™

Default Why Buy Jung's Seeds?

$5 order add $5.00 shipping.

$21 order add $6.00 shipping.

$36 order add $7.00 shipping.

I can see it for potatoes, but if you want 2-3 packets of seed, the shipping costs more than the seed packs.

No thanks!
barkeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2007   #2
barkeater
Tomatovillian™

BTW,

Unless you buy just 2 packs, Seeds of Change is even worse with their shipping charges!
Old December 28, 2007   #3
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Bark, what's the scoop on the *net* price w/shipping as compared w/other sources? I admit, I haven't really looked.

The reason I bring it up is that some companies will price their seeds low, and charge more for shipping. However, the net cost will be the same, or not much different (sometimes even less when all added up).
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2007   #4
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

This also seems to be the case with Landreth's shipping charges. It's over $9 for five packets of seeds.
Old December 28, 2007   #5
jungseed
Tomatovillian™

With the price of shipping anything having gone up so much (check your local grocery store), we now suggest that people get together with their gardening friends and place one order. That way the shipping charge is less per packet.

I mailed a 3 pound box from WI to FL yesterday and it cost me $10.20.

The one fact that came out of all the meetings here was that we do want to be in business beyond this year. So choices were made. But we are sorry those choices had to be made.
jungseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2007   #6
bcday
Tomatovillian™

I haven't compared the shipping/handling charges for all the companies I get catalogs from, but they all have to cover those costs one way or another.

I think we have the popularity of email partly to thank for the increased cost of shipping. The USPS has recognized that they can't compete with email and are making up the difference by charging more to ship things that can't be emailed, such as seeds and other gardening goodies. I know that the cost of mailing a bubble envelope is now double what it was not too long ago.
bcday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2007   #7
Miss_Mudcat
Tomatovillian™

Anyone recall the price of FUEL? Just a reminder... it takes fuel to grow the seeds, to get those seeds sent from one place to another, not to mention the fuel used in creating the packets, printing the packets, getting the people to work to fill the packets, etc. etc. I am surprised it doesn't cost MORE to ship!
Old December 28, 2007   #8
Melissa
Tomatovillian™

I'd still rather see the price in the cost of the seed packet, and not in the shipping charges.

Charge what you need to to make a profit, but don't mark up postage so much that you price yourself out of the market. I think that is all anyone can ask. If someone has a particular seed I want, I'll pay whatever they're asking for the seeds, but don't rip my lips off in "shipping charges."
Melissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2007   #9
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

It's a dilemna, all right. Transportation costs have increased and it costs about as much to assemble a two packet request as a ten packet request. Companies are in business to make a profit and they will pass their costs along to the customer, no doubt about it. But....I do think a lot of places (not just seed companies by any stretch) hide a lot of costs in "shipping and handling" to make their products look cheaper than they actually are.

For myself, I won't buy just one or two items from a seed company. I'll bundle my order to one or two companies just to not get killed with S&H. It's unfortunate, as I would otherwise spread my dollars around to more seed companies.

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2007   #10
kktwahoo
Tomatovillian™

Ruth,

You are so right!

Kent & Kathy
kktwahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2007   #11
eyolf
Tomatovillian™

As we all know, Jung, Vermont bean, Tot tom, and Shumway are all shipped out of Randolph Wi; it would be lovely to order from all catalogs and get them all shipped in one carton.

Another point to mention: suppose you place a sizeable order, including seeds, live plants, etc., you can guarantee that your order will be shipped in a number of batches at different times...for one shipping price. Sometimes I think the small orders for a half-dozen packets of flower seeds underwrite these costs for others.

The solution? Place large orders. I'm sure the seed houses won't object!
Old December 28, 2007   #12
barkeater
Tomatovillian™

Give me a break! I'm not talking about 3# of seeds, I'm talking about 70-100 milligrams per packet.

And why this talk about "transportation" and "fuel" costs? Whats that got to do with postage charges from seed companies?

All I know is I'm not going to pay $5, $6, or $7 to get 3 seed packs that cost a $1.50 for postage and handling.
Old December 28, 2007   #13
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

I mail up to 5 packets of seeds in a large business envelope for 41 cents. Never had a problem. But that's strictly tomato and pepper seeds. Bean seeds are much larger and might cost up to $1, but certainly not $5.

Unfortunately most shopping cart software is not sophisticated enough to deal with per-item shipping costs. For instance, if you throw one packet of Dragon Tongue beans in with an order of 4 tomato packets, it should increase the shipping quite a bit.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2007   #14
Suze
Tomatovillian™

I just went to the Jung Seed website and filled out an order for one pack each of the following:

Aunt Ruby's German Green
Lemon Boy
Mortgage Lifter
Pineapple
Red Brandywine
Sugary
Yellow Brandywine

Also did the same for TGS and Victory Seeds. Couldn't make all the same choices because Mike doesn't carry hybrids, which tend to be more expensive. And I don't want to redo the other two, so mentally add a dollar or so. 8)

Jung - seeds $14.05, net $19.00
TGS - seeds $18.75, net $23.00
Victory - seeds $13.65, net $17.72

With two packs -- Aunt Ruby's GG and Yellow Brandywine, totals are:

Jung - seeds $3.80, net $8.75
TGS - seeds $5.00, net $9.25
Victory - seeds $3.90, net $7.97

So, right/wrong/indifferent (and in all fairness), it appears to me that one will get similarly penalized for only ordering a couple or three packs of seeds from other companies besides just Jung. It also appears to me that at least some of the reason for this is to encourage the customer to place a larger order.

Something other than postage is obviously being covered. Handling? Well, it doesn't take a lot of time and effort to mail out 2-3 packs of seeds. But it does take a little more time (and cost in postage and mailing supplies) per seed pack sent out to process small orders. Not as nearly as much as is being charged, though.

As far as covering shipping costs, Morgan points out how inexpensive it is to mail just a few packs of seeds. Even if one were to add the non-machinable surcharge (bubble mailer, or odd sized/lg envelope), postage for up to an ounce is $0.58. Add $0.25 for the cost of a bubble mailer, and the net cost to mail them would be 83 cents.

Postage for up to 2 oz, which will mail a lot of seed packs would be $0.75, or net cost to mail $1.00.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2007   #15
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I usually order from $50 to $100 worth of seeds when I get seeds so the cost of shipping is of no concern to me.
That’s just the way I feel about it if I want something and I can afford it then I get it.

I also don’t mind paying $7 to $8 for a 6 pack of beer.

That’s just me though.

Other folks can do as they please that’s why we live in a free country.

Worth

Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote